Come on Irish

ND was rewarded at the FT line because Young and Arike attacked the paint. UConn's guards settled for long jumpers, so there wasn't much opportunity to force ND to foul them. Other than Dangerfield and Williams (who is really more of a slasher), it's not really their game. KLS scores best moving without the ball, Nurse can't create her own shot, and Dangerfield didn't play well. As salty as Boners are getting about the FT discrepancy, it was because ND's guards were just that much more aggressive and Shepard is more physical than any of the UConn posts. I agree UConn is good about not fouling, but Arike is a very tough defensive assignment, and Jackie was even better last night. Luck of the Irish paid off.

Thank you, I was hoping you would be one of several posters to answer my questions.:salute:

Reactions: 3 people
The Notre Dame guards are big enough and strong enough to drive the ball and get to the foul line. We haven't had those guards in a long while.

ND was rewarded at the FT line because Young and Arike attacked the paint. UConn's guards settled for long jumpers, so there wasn't much opportunity to force ND to foul them. Other than Dangerfield and Williams (who is really more of a slasher), it's not really their game. KLS scores best moving without the ball, Nurse can't create her own shot, and Dangerfield didn't play well. As salty as Boners are getting about the FT discrepancy, it was because ND's guards were just that much more aggressive and Shepard is more physical than any of the UConn posts. I agree UConn is good about not fouling, but Arike is a very tough defensive assignment, and Jackie was even better last night. Luck of the Irish paid off.

Additionally, it should be noted that 10 of ND’s free throws came in the last 2 minutes of the game or the last 2min of overtime when Uconn was intentionally fouling them to get the ball. Unfortunately for Uconn, ND made most of the free throws. Because of this, the disparity in fouls wasn’t as bad as the final stats reflect.

Reactions: 2 people
Additionally, it should be noted that 10 of ND’s free throws came in the last 2 minutes of the game or the last 2min of overtime when Uconn was intentionally fouling them to get the ball. Unfortunately for Uconn, ND made most of the free throws. Because of this, the disparity in fouls wasn’t as bad as the final stats reflect.

Good point. I had not thought about that. Sort of got tied up in watching the game:).

Thanks.:hi:

Question for those who really know and understand the game and can be unbiased. You know who you are.

1) Did the refs affect the outcome?
2) Did ucon really foul that much more than ND?
3) Usually not a lot of fouls called on ucon. Have they just traditionally gotten a bye with fouls and this time they were called?
4) Or this time did something happen (planned or panic) that caused them to foul more?

I’m not interested in ucon bashing or ucon troll comments as answers. Just people who do know the game.

IMO, ucon usually plays a clean game (yeah, 🤢🤢🤢🤢, it made me sick to say that).

Would appreciate responses. Thank you in advance :hi:.

The refs didn't affect the outcome of the game in this one as they did (by letting hard fouls go) in the prior semi...I never felt this game to be unfair in reffing. Both teams got to play hard and only playoff fouls seemed to be called.

I do hope ref association look into the defensive hand-check - versus- the offensive clear-out or push-off. I have seen the most inconsistency, season wide, in this area of reffing......Also in offensive charges versus defensive blocks. (a wide disparity here too. It used to be "defensive position of the feet in place-before liftoff of the offender"

But my single biggest pet peeve in BB is the over-carrying of the dribble. I have seen full-bottom of the ball dribble pickups. It used to be the "hand-shake" rule (You could pick up your bounce in no more than a "hand-shake" position,,,,beyond that was a carry). I don't like the bottom pick-up on the dribble because it makes the crossover or the inside-out move impossible to defend... Unless you use a Dynamo "foosball" defensive tactic.

Last edited:
I'm so happy ND beat Uconn, now I'm pulling for Mississippi St. I want an SEC team to win because of all the talk of how weak the conference is. Would love to see the SEC win two years in a roll.

I'm so happy ND beat Uconn, now I'm pulling for Mississippi St. I want an SEC team to win because of all the talk of how weak the conference is. Would love to see the SEC win two years in a roll.

That would also give the SEC 3 different championship schools. It's pretty amazing there haven't been more from the SEC. Go Bulldawgs!! Cowbell them back to South Bend!

Wow. It was just said that Mississippi State has never won a national championship in any team sport. I didn't know that. That's pitiful.

Mabrey is killing Notre Dame - 1-5 from the floor, 7 turnovers and 1 assist. Notre Dame scored 3 points in the 2nd quarter. They are shooting 30% as a team with 12 turnovers and only 1 offensive rebound. Bad.

Teaira McCowan (in her ESPN little clip) “ said they said I wouldn’t even make it to college now I’m out here breakin’ records” pretty amazing to say the least at the body of work she is putting in. She can turn pro I think after this year. If they win the championship and she leaves with the other four (all starters) I don’t care how good of a coach you are that’s a hard reloading. They do have good talent coming in though but very little experience.

Sidenote: were they saying she wouldn’t make it to college because she had trouble with her grades. I thought she ws going to some school but academically couldn’t make it at first. I may be trippin’ but I bet they wish they had her now!

Last edited:
That was an ugly half. ND is going through what Miss St did last year after beating UConn, they seem really flat. I have to think they will play better here in the 2nd half and make a game of this.

Grades are a bigger deal at UT than at MSU. Pat took great pride in graduating every player who invested four years in the program. McCowan was a project out of HS. MSU takes projects and coaches them up. Traditionally, the LVs have cherrypicked McD's AAs. It was a strategy that used to work well for UT.

And they won't be next year. ND brings everyone back, plus their injured players.

They will miss Gabby Williams and that other girl, and their new recruits will not replace them.

Enjoy the view from down on Earth.

You joining McGraw in shading?:ermm:

Does ND get Turner back next year? I was looking at the roster and she is listed as a Senior, but I think she was redshirted. The will be very good next year.

Great quarter for the Irish! Tie ball game at 41 and McCowan still on the bench with 3 fouls. ND outscored Miss St 16-1 in the last 6 minutes of the 3rd.

MissSt can't buy a bucket right now -- just giving it away.

ND with a 16-1 run. Those players are confident!

IDT MSU winning benefits the LVs.

It's been years since the LVs played with this much intensity and want.

That was a clutch 3. ND still doesn't have one (0-7)... and Mabrey has been terrible for ND. That's 8 turnovers now (half of her team's total for the game), most of them unforced just like that last walk.

VN Store

Back