Total War: Warhammer

I’ve yet to finish a vortex campaign yet. You think it’s still worth it even though I’ve been playing ME?

eh not really. I think some of the starting positions are more interesting in vortex than ME. Vortex was more enjoyable than I thought, but after the first one I wanted to go back to conquering everything and not worrying about the race. The map is pretty radically different so it might be worth playing just to explore and see what you think.

norscans are due in May, they will probably throw in another free lord with it (high elves are the guess)

eff no. any anti-large anything> mammoths.

Hammer and anvil, baby. With enough micro, mammoths are unstoppable.

Quickest very hard campaign I ever did was with Wintertooth. Had the entire northern wastes confederated in 30 ought turns and converted that whole thing into a mammoth factory.

Hammer and anvil, baby. With enough micro, mammoths are unstoppable.

Quickest very hard campaign I ever did was with Wintertooth. Had the entire northern wastes confederated in 30 ought turns and converted that whole thing into a mammoth factory.

until you tie down the rest of their army and pick those mammoths apart. it only works if they let you sit there an do what you want.

Hey, LouderVol, has any new info been mentioned for TW: Three Kingdoms? Usually everything I see is what we learned at announcement.

Hey, LouderVol, has any new info been mentioned for TW: Three Kingdoms? Usually everything I see is what we learned at announcement.

nothing new yet. best case chatter is maybe some news this month or april. but with the British saga game, April someteenth, that is taking their attention for the moment. after that is the alleged Norsca fix (finally) for WTW2 in May. so realistically I am not looking for anything until almost June unfortunately.

which sucks, because I am definitely looking forward to three kingdoms. I will honestly pass on the thrones of britania until it goes on sale. time period doesn't much interest me, units are a wash of the same, somewhere between Medieval 2 and Rome 2/Attila. I am sure Throne of Britania will be fun but honestly going back to Persians' point, I think I will get bored easily without a giant or something new.

nothing new yet. best case chatter is maybe some news this month or april. but with the British saga game, April someteenth, that is taking their attention for the moment. after that is the alleged Norsca fix (finally) for WTW2 in May. so realistically I am not looking for anything until almost June unfortunately.

which sucks, because I am definitely looking forward to three kingdoms. I will honestly pass on the thrones of britania until it goes on sale. time period doesn't much interest me, units are a wash of the same, somewhere between Medieval 2 and Rome 2/Attila. I am sure Throne of Britania will be fun but honestly going back to Persians' point, I think I will get bored easily without a giant or something new.

Man that point was ages ago. But yeah I cant imagine playing a TW game without a T Rex running around ****ing **** up or something. TW Warhammer has been a blessing and a curse.

Man that point was ages ago. But yeah I cant imagine playing a TW game without a T Rex running around ****ing **** up or something. TW Warhammer has been a blessing and a curse.

yup. I still think I can enjoy others. I still go back and will spend a weekend on Empire or Medieval 2. but for future games they have got to give me something new. three kingdoms with a whole new setting, cultures, whatever is perfect for bringing back a historical interest to me.

I have said it before, but my friend and I have always talked (15 years) how Total War and Warhammer were perfect for each other, so I won't call it a curse. and it will take a long time for me to lose interest. so i am probably not the best one to talk about the drawbacks on it.

yup. I still think I can enjoy others. I still go back and will spend a weekend on Empire or Medieval 2. but for future games they have got to give me something new. three kingdoms with a whole new setting, cultures, whatever is perfect for bringing back a historical interest to me.

I have said it before, but my friend and I have always talked (15 years) how Total War and Warhammer were perfect for each other, so I won't call it a curse. and it will take a long time for me to lose interest. so i am probably not the best one to talk about the drawbacks on it.

It’s a curse in the way of it being so awesome it’s going to be hard for other historical titles to match up with it.

At least Carthage has elephants.

So I started playing the Vortex campaign and I noticed that the map is drastically different than in mortal empires for a lot regions, specifically the continent that’s essentially Africa. Which map is more accurate of the world?

So I started playing the Vortex campaign and I noticed that the map is drastically different than in mortal empires for a lot regions, specifically the continent that’s essentially Africa. Which map is more accurate of the world?

uh...yes.

neither are very accurate. WTW:1 is pretty close aa far as shape and placement of major elements for the old world. There are a lot of things that are left out, mostly rivers. but there are some major missing settlements. Albion, the little island off of Norsca (in the Vortex but no others) should be further out at sea, and bigger, and then some of the other islands from the Vortex. but the old world is pretty close.

neither Vortex of ME does the seas/oceans justice.basically the distance from the old world to Naggaroth in the game is how far it should be to Ulthuan, and then about 70% of that from Ulthuan to Naggaroth. this is likely a gameplay decision which isn't horrible, but I would still prefer the magic line from Empire where your fleet disappeared for a turn and then showed back up on the other side. you could keep it all one map but I think it would help it feel bigger. The southlands definitely aren't as square as they come across in the game but I think ME has it better, and the Vortex definitely had the Isthmus (where Mazdumundi is) a bit stretched out, but ME loses a lot from the map.

not sure that really answers your question, but its what I got.

uh...yes.

neither are very accurate. WTW:1 is pretty close aa far as shape and placement of major elements for the old world. There are a lot of things that are left out, mostly rivers. but there are some major missing settlements. Albion, the little island off of Norsca (in the Vortex but no others) should be further out at sea, and bigger, and then some of the other islands from the Vortex. but the old world is pretty close.

neither Vortex of ME does the seas/oceans justice.basically the distance from the old world to Naggaroth in the game is how far it should be to Ulthuan, and then about 70% of that from Ulthuan to Naggaroth. this is likely a gameplay decision which isn't horrible, but I would still prefer the magic line from Empire where your fleet disappeared for a turn and then showed back up on the other side. you could keep it all one map but I think it would help it feel bigger. The southlands definitely aren't as square as they come across in the game but I think ME has it better, and the Vortex definitely had the Isthmus (where Mazdumundi is) a bit stretched out, but ME loses a lot from the map.

not sure that really answers your question, but its what I got.

No it definitely helped. That magic line idea actually sounds like a pretty great idea. I assume that there was more ocean to get to Ulthuan.

So there are a few starting regions that really don’t make sense at all to me in our different they are in the Vortex and ME campaign. Lybaras seems to start in other side of the worlds in the two different campaigns. What’s the rational behind this?

Also Kroq Gar starts directly east of the nekehara in ME but in vortex the jungle is to the south and not to the east (which I assumed was the case)

No it definitely helped. That magic line idea actually sounds like a pretty great idea. I assume that there was more ocean to get to Ulthuan.

So there are a few starting regions that really don’t make sense at all to me in our different they are in the Vortex and ME campaign. Lybaras seems to start in other side of the worlds in the two different campaigns. What’s the rational behind this?

Also Kroq Gar starts directly east of the nekehara in ME but in vortex the jungle is to the south and not to the east (which I assumed was the case)

yeah moving around the starting posistions is completely a gameplay based decision, I don't really mind it.

there is no real lore reason for Lybaras to start in Lustria in Vortex, but their explanation as it was hunting down Vampires is acceptable and lore friendly.

Kroqgar in the southlands doesn't really make sense in either place. there are definitely lizards south of the deserts, but they have lost contact with Lustria because all of their Slann died and those in the South Lands have turned feral. there have always been isolated pockets of Lizardmen all over so it was nothing new with the southlands got cut off. they say Kroqgar is over there to reestablish contact, and Kroqgar does travel alot (he has fought on Albion). but in the lore they have always implied that the lizardmen needed a Slann over them to keep them civilized so Kroqgar himself wouldn't be able to do all that much himself. now maybe if he was sent over to protect some slann then it makes some sense. in the lore he works directly for Mazdumundi as he is the most powerful Slann still truly alive.

they took some liberties, and they aren't bad ones.

yeah moving around the starting posistions is completely a gameplay based decision, I don't really mind it.

there is no real lore reason for Lybaras to start in Lustria in Vortex, but their explanation as it was hunting down Vampires is acceptable and lore friendly.

Kroqgar in the southlands doesn't really make sense in either place. there are definitely lizards south of the deserts, but they have lost contact with Lustria because all of their Slann died and those in the South Lands have turned feral. there have always been isolated pockets of Lizardmen all over so it was nothing new with the southlands got cut off. they say Kroqgar is over there to reestablish contact, and Kroqgar does travel alot (he has fought on Albion). but in the lore they have always implied that the lizardmen needed a Slann over them to keep them civilized so Kroqgar himself wouldn't be able to do all that much himself. now maybe if he was sent over to protect some slann then it makes some sense. in the lore he works directly for Mazdumundi as he is the most powerful Slann still truly alive.

they took some liberties, and they aren't bad ones.

Okay that’s a great explanation. That does seem like a smart way to make it lore friendly and what not. What’s the story about Teclis exactly? Why is he way out there unlike Tyrion. By the way I find Tyrion the most underwhelming LL in the game. For melee lords I feel like they need some iconic mount to make them interesting. Outside Kholek of course.

Okay that’s a great explanation. That does seem like a smart way to make it lore friendly and what not. What’s the story about Teclis exactly? Why is he way out there unlike Tyrion. By the way I find Tyrion the most underwhelming LL in the game. For melee lords I feel like they need some iconic mount to make them interesting. Outside Kholek of course.

Teclis has for a long time been interested in helping the outside world, while Tyrion is like most elves and only cares about themselves. Teclis taught the Empire magic the last time Chaos invaded ~200 years ago. before, they had magic but had no formal school on it and it was a lot more dangerous/uncontrolled.

Not sure how much the game explains it but the two are twins, but incredibly different. They come from the line of Aenarion who was the first Phoenix King and uniter of elven kind against the original daemon invasion. Aenarion is/was also the father of Malekith and husband of Morathi, who seduced him. He drew a forbidden weapon, Widowmaker, which is one of their god's Khaine weapon, and it cursed his blood line and Aenarion. the widowmaker is housed up on that northern island of Ulthuan that has a shrine to khaine. didn't help that Morathi was whispering dark stuff in his ear, this was all before the elves divided up, at the time they were all "good". so technically Malekith and the twin are related which is why you will sometimes hear Malekith call them cousins.

Teclis is a frail, dark haired elf, who needs magical potions and items to function, but incredibly powerful in magic, the strongest elf alive. He is generally dark and brooding.
Tyrion is almost the complete opposite, tall, strong, physically blessed, one of the best swordsmen alive, banging the Everqueen which comes with some perks besides the obvious. he is generally more pleasant to be around but he doesn't put up with court politics, but Tyrion does stay involved with the powers that be in Ulthuan. In the lore Tyrion is head of "League of Champions" type of thing, who just want to do the dirty work of fighting. most of them have awesome/better back stories. see the bottom.

both are true defenders of Ulthuan, Tyrion takes that literally, Teclis sees that as a wider calling, knowing that if the rest of the world falls the elves will soon join them. so he travels and does good deeds, and generally works to keep the vortex stable, it has waystones and other anchors all over the world. he also just generally combats anything chaosy but he isn't afraid to get his hands dirty a little with information. In some of the lore he goes around and cleanses areas/items of chaos which is dangerous, and unlikely to work, but he is powerful enough and knowledgeable enough to pull it off.

so the "league of champions" or whatever it is called is a group of elven warriors who aren't interested in the politics, they have just seen the evil and want to get to fighting.

The biggest ones are

Imrik, the Prince of Caledor, basically the King of the Dragon Princes. He flies around on a dragon and has a couple cool items, and he has a trait that other dragons or large wryms won't fight him, they will fight his dragon, but not him. He is the ruler of Caledor which is where most of the dragons hibernate, there is a tie to Vaul's Anvil and the volcanos in the area. in the time of daemons dragons were common place, so that all the nobles in caledor rode them (hence the name dragon prince), but as time has gone on the dragons sleep so the nobles make do with horses. the only way to wake a dragon is basically a special spell/song that is magically protected so only certain people know it. There are dragon mages (not in the game *shakes fist*) and loremasters of the area who know it, I think its in the language of dragons but still takes some magic to pull off. Imrik doesn't need the magic, he can speak to the dragons directly, which is why they won't fight him. So he is currently trying to wake the dragons and his realm to do all the fighting.

next is Eltharion, who has mixed lore. 1. he is a blinded Swordmaster who is still even deadlier than others (on the table top swordmasters are as skilled as most lords). and he is the only mortal to wound Malekith in combat (not magic). 2. then there is Eltharion the Grim who is the leader of Tor Yvresse (east coast of Ultuan). he is the only *fully alive* elf to lead a successful invasion of Naggaroth. he landed an army and destroyed a bunch of Dark Elf armies and cities and I think was besieging Naggarond and Malekith, when he is poisoned by an Assassin. as the siege halts Yvresse is invaded by Goblins (first greenskins to make it to Ulthuan). His father is killed in the fighting and his spirit warns Eltharion. who is magically saved, and his fathers blade is also with him, and they make a fighting retreat to Ulthuan. They get back just as the goblins are entering the city, and its a desperate fight. He flies on a Griffon in the fight and can take that in the game. the city is saved but the people are gutted and the city repairs but the population does not. due to the poison and the loss, Eltharion is left permanently scarred so the Grim is more than a moniker.

VN Store

Back