Keller Chryst Signing to be announced in the morning per

Chryst has signed an NLI.

Pruitt said Stanford grad transfer Keller Chryst has signed a NLI with
Tennessee. Pruitt said he likes Chryst’s experience, the fact that he’s from a
football family, he’s maturity and he was 11-2 as Stanford’s starter. over 2 seasons
Hyams

Reactions: 1 person
So a boom is having a QB that lost the starting job at another school on commit to Tennessee?

Depending how things go we may be down to 2 QB's by the time the season starts with 2 transferring.

And if history is any indication the three that leave Tennessee will look like world beaters at their new schools and you all that are booming will be complaining like you were are Peterman, Ferguson and others around Pruitt not giving them a chance.

My gut at this point tells me that 2018 is going to be as bad, maybe worse than 2017 and 2019 will probably not be any better.

11-2 as a starter. Proven winner. Provides much needed depth. Remember last year?

The run game and defense account for the record.

He had a worse year individually than JG had as a freshman on our worst squad ever. His one 200 yard game was against Rice and he lost his job.

We definitely needed the depth though.

Agree but folks think Pruitt can do no wrong.

No, nobody’s saying that, he’ll surely make his own mistakes. Folks are just thrilled he’s not Butch Jones, which automatically makes our coaching situation light years better.....especially since he’s got the pedigree of a real football coach and not a carnival barker.

What does McBride’s stats have to do with Chryst being a “major upgrade” over GUARANTANO?

Basically my point is the upgrade is at the position so you have to not just look at one guy but all of them. It’s an upgrade at the position that is greatly needed. If McBride is our starter we will be hurting badly

Last edited:
Watching Chryst, what does he bring to the table that JG doesn't already? Maybe he proves me wrong but right now I'm not seeing it. What Stanford does and our athletes on offense are two totally different things.

Experience in a prostyle offense and 11-2 as a starter vs zero experience in our offense and 1-5 as a starter. Definitely not saying Chryst beats JG out but I definitely see why he's bringing in a Grad Transfer. Throw in the fact that there have been rumors since JP was hired and announced what offense he is gonna run, that he transfers back home to Rutgers. Not saying he does but JP has to Atleast prepare for that or McBride leaving. Much better option than risk being down to a TR FR QB and a ton of walkons because of a transfer or injuries. We were a snap away from playing a walk on QB or running the wildcat an entire game last yr.

The run game and defense account for the record.

He had a worse year individually than JG had as a freshman on our worst squad ever. His one 200 yard game was against Rice and he lost his job.

We definitely needed the depth though.

I agree it definitely helped with his 11-2 but if it was mostly that then Costello should have won at the same % that Chryst did. Not sure Chryst will ever complete 60% for some reason but if he can be a leader and not kill them with Turnovers I would take that over the higher passing %. Not sure if he just peaked the yr before or if the knee surgery and 8 months of getting i ready to play again was the reason. Either way it's definitely helps our depth at the very least Incase of injuries or transfers. Much better option that a walkon having to start. I trust JP and Helton to make the best decision. The perfect scenario has JG take well to good coaching and thrive in the new offense. Definitely a good QB recruiting tool to pitch HS QB's and why they should come to TN.

No, nobody’s saying that, he’ll surely make his own mistakes. Folks are just thrilled he’s not Butch Jones, which automatically makes our coaching situation light years better.....especially since he’s got the pedigree of a real football coach and not a carnival barker.

Just because he has got a pedigree doesn't imply he will be any better. Folks were thrilled with Dooley too because of the name.

His success as an assistant could have been due to the head coaches he was working under. Time will tell - but he seems to have not made much of an effort to convince good players (other than Jennings) to stay.

Just because he has got a pedigree doesn't imply he will be any better. Folks were thrilled with Dooley too because of the name.

His success as an assistant could have been due to the head coaches he was working under. Time will tell - but he seems to have not made much of an effort to convince good players (other than Jennings) to stay.

If you can't tell the difference between the resumes of Dooley and Pruitt, I don't really think you should be commenting on the situation.

Reactions: 2 people

Look, I’ll be the first to say that we don’t know how good of a head coach JP will be, we’ll all have to find out over the next 2-3 years? Will his incredibly good career as a DBs coach and DC at 3 different schools translate?

That said, he’s been light years better and accomplished far more in his career as a defensive coordinator than Butch Jones ever did as a WR coach or OC (or head coach for that matter).....and you think we shouldn’t expect he’ll be better than our former failed head coach? I’d take that bet.

As far as your second paragraph there, you should do your homework. The numbers and results suggest that it’s quite the other way around....those head coaches were much better off for having added Pruitt to their respective staffs as he helped make those coaches and their teams better.

. . . he seems to have not made much of an effort to convince good players (other than Jennings) to stay.

Maybe that's because he didn't want them to stay.

If there is one thing that has already become VERY obvious it is that Pruitt has a very different opinion of what makes a good football player than did Jones.

Reactions: 2 people
Maybe that's because he didn't want them to stay.

If there is one thing that has already become VERY obvious it is that Pruitt has a very different opinion of what makes a good football player than did Jones.

I have been thinking the same thing. Maybe CJP laid out for them a scenario with this new team that didn't appeal to them and they decided to take their chances with the draft.

I don't know why this is a debate Chryst will be starter week one..11-2 as a starter that alone should give him the job..

With Chryst not here till Sunday, JG will get every opportunity to win the job. With his tweets, sounds like he's ready to compete. That said you have to think Pruitt and Helton gave Chryst a good indicator he has the advantage.

So a boom is having a QB that lost the starting job at another school on commit to Tennessee?

Depending how things go we may be down to 2 QB's by the time the season starts with 2 transferring.

And if history is any indication the three that leave Tennessee will look like world beaters at their new schools and you all that are booming will be complaining like you were are Peterman, Ferguson and others around Pruitt not giving them a chance.

My gut at this point tells me that 2018 is going to be as bad, maybe worse than 2017 and 2019 will probably not be any better.

This guy right now

Attachments

• CD19495E-6920-487B-BE43-6F58E1CCF49E.jpg
    CD19495E-6920-487B-BE43-6F58E1CCF49E.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 3

Unlike some folks (^^), our new HFC and new qb signee look at it this way:

“Become one of the rare people who don’t know how to quit.”

Coach Pruitt likes him.

With Chryst not here till Sunday, JG will get every opportunity to win the job. With his tweets, sounds like he's ready to compete. That said you have to think Pruitt and Helton gave Chryst a good indicator he has the advantage.

Pruitt said he made sure to make it clear to Chryst and any other GT that starting is not guaranteed or that they would even be a favorite. It scared a few guys off. Pruitt really likes JG and he is here for the spring.

The only thing Pruitt told Chryst is he would have a chance to compete when he gets here. It's going to be tough to overtake JG though.

Pruitt said he made sure to make it clear to Chryst and any other GT that starting is not guaranteed or that they would even be a favorite. It scared a few guys off. Pruitt really likes JG and he is here for the spring.

The only thing Pruitt told Chryst is he would have a chance to compete when he gets here. It's going to be tough to overtake JG though.

It be silly for Pruitt to tell either they have a leg up. New system for the guy returning, new system for the transfer. Neither have yet to be in a practice with this staff.

VN Store

Back