Official Nashville Predators Thread

Big win tonight! Tied with Tampa at 100 points and highest winning percentage in the league! Pekka at a ridiculous 19-1-1 in his last 21 games.

So as a newbie is Saros considered the heir apparent to Pekka?

I think he becomes a restricted free agent after this year. So it will be interesting how Poile plays it. I think we are kind of limited with cap space coming up for the next year. In what we have down the stretch becoming free agents, what do you pay Saros to stay. but then Pekka becomes a free agent the next year. And with how he is playing. Do you let Saros walk and bring in another? It will be interesting.

I think he becomes a restricted free agent after this year. So it will be interesting how Poile plays it. I think we are kind of limited with cap space coming up for the next year. In what we have down the stretch becoming free agents, what do you pay Saros to stay. but then Pekka becomes a free agent the next year. And with how he is playing. Do you let Saros walk and bring in another? It will be interesting.

Pekka turns 36 in November.
Saros turns 23 next month, you have to take that in to account do you think Saros can become anything close to what Pekka currently is.

As someone who is still sort of a hockey n00b, how much of an advantage does Pekka's physical size give him in net? I get the feeling that it is more his quickness at that size but being 6'5 has to be somewhat of an advantage over 5'11 Saros, right?

Last edited:
Pekka turns 36 in November.
Saros turns 23 next month, you have to take that in to account do you think Saros can become anything close to what Pekka currently is.

Not sure if he will come close or not. Pekka has another year or two left in his contract. That would put him 37-38 when it’s over. How many years does he have left in the tank? I am saying. How close will our salary cap be when we have some extensions coming up like Fiala’s and if we resign Saros. It will be interesting to see what Poile does

As someone who is still sort of a hockey n00b, how much of an advantage does Pekka's physical size give him in net? I get the feeling that it is more his quickness at that size but being 6'5 has to be somewhat of an advantage over 5'11 Saaros, right?

Teams definitely prefer size, but Saros is like Russell Wilson in that he has everything but height. His athleticism and instincts help him make up for it. He would have been drafted a lot higher if he were taller, but we got a steal and I bet we keep him.

As someone who is still sort of a hockey n00b, how much of an advantage does Pekka's physical size give him in net? I get the feeling that it is more his quickness at that size but being 6'5 has to be somewhat of an advantage over 5'11 Saaros, right?

It's definitely an advantage. He simply covers more empty space than Saros or any goalie smaller than him does. Being big isn't any guarantee of success though; there are plenty of small goalies who are among the all-time greats and huge guys everybody thought would be good who struggled.

Good goaltending is more about proper positioning and being able to find a puck in traffic than it is size, reflexes, or anything else.

VN Store

Back