Dark Souls Remastered (PC, PS4, Xbox One, Switch)

Yeah, there is no amount of grinding in Souls that will make the game easy mode. I’ve been level 250+ in Dark Souls and been killed by the skeletons in the graveyard at the very beginning, and I’ve been level 1 and made it to O&S.

In Souls, when you die, and you will die a lot, it’s more than likely because you got ahead of yourself, wasn’t paying attention to the importance of your stamina, and/or tried to hack and slash.

The only true leveling up that happens is your own skill as a player. I love The Witcher 3 but it's jarring to be this elite Witcher who has already saved the world but struggles to kill level 40+ regular wolves in the DLC. Leveling up doesn't make sense in many contexts, especially action RPGs.

yup, armor and health really are arbitrary. Neither are going to help you very much if you can't fight strategically.

Exactly. Rarely can you tank an enemy. If you play recklessly, you’re going to die and get frustrated.

The only true leveling up that happens is your own skill as a player. I love The Witcher 3 but it's jarring to be this elite Witcher who has already saved the world but struggles to kill level 40+ regular wolves in the DLC. Leveling up doesn't make sense in many contexts, especially action RPGs.

That’s true, it’s always bothered me that your hero always starts off so weak, especially in sequels. They often have some plot device to take your abilities through evil magic or amnesia, but I don’t think anything of the sort happened in the Witcher. I still loved the game, don’t get me wrong, but your skill as a player was not necessarily needed to conquer the game, only the need to level up sufficiently, which like you said, doesn’t make a whole lot of sense many times.

me in 2016: wtf is an amiibo? that’s dumb

me yesterday: i’ll take one for the switch, one for the office, and one for my desk at work

Attachments

• D8C5C25C-AE22-41C7-ADF4-807B81515A38.jpg
    D8C5C25C-AE22-41C7-ADF4-807B81515A38.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 1
I got to Anor Londo last night. Blightown no longer runs at 15 frames per second. Now I’m off to Ornstein and Smough.

3 poison arrows will do the trick

No no no. Don't encourage him to cheese it. Every Dark Souls player has to conquer this, they must fall to their death 100 times, before they finally are able to keep their balance and knock the hell out of those bastards. There is no more gratifying feeling in any video game ever.

No no no. Don't encourage him to cheese it. Every Dark Souls player has to conquer this, they must fall to their death 100 times, before they finally are able to keep their balance and knock the hell out of those bastards. There is no more gratifying feeling in any video game ever.

I thought Chatt already played these games??

Well, Chatt, you could go up there and riposte them then. Whenever their weapon arm moves forward hit the left trigger and you’ll parry every time.

Make sure your equipment load is under 25% of total so you can fast roll to dodge arrows or a very high stability shield, but even 70 stability gets pushed by those arrows unfortunately

Attachments

• FC16B1AC-299A-4D49-AAA2-6D906D683A9B.jpeg
    FC16B1AC-299A-4D49-AAA2-6D906D683A9B.jpeg
    45.7 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I thought Chatt already played these games??

Well, Chatt, you could go up there and riposte them then. Whenever their weapon arm moves forward hit the left trigger and you’ll parry every time.

Make sure your equipment load is under 25% of total so you can fast roll to dodge arrows or a very high stability shield, but even 70 stability gets pushed by those arrows unfortunately

Never played the first Dark Souls. This was my order:

1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Dark Souls 3
4. Dark Souls Remastered (in progress)

Anyways I got past the archers finally. Got to the ledge they stand on and got a lucky miss from the one on the right, then killed him.

1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Dark Souls 3

Anyways I got past the archers finally. Got to the ledge they stand on and got a lucky miss from the one on the right, then killed him.

Very cool. So you’re in old Anor Londo. Make it through the castle yet?

1. Bloodborne
2. Dark Souls 2
3. Dark Souls 3

Have fun with the boss. Kill Smough last.

First time’d them actually.

Though I don’t see how anyone could ever beat them without summoning the phantom in.

First time’d with the phantom? I tried myself probably 50 times. Got so frustrated, summoned two other real players...and still lost. Lmao. Eventually got it with just me and one other.

I'm just going to assume you've summoned for previous bosses. I implore you (when you eventually beat Gwyn 4 years from now) to do the NG+ with ZERO summons. It's the only way to experience Souls the way it was meant to be played; the way it separates itself from literally every other game that has ever existed. Your thumbs will bleed. You might fry your controller with moisture from sweat. You may turn your drywall into Swiss cheese. You may curse every deity in which you believe. You will punt your dog off a bridge. However, when you finally parry Gwyn to death on NG+, you will ooze ecstasy and reach tantric nirvana. You will become a god.

The Dark Souls games are so much easier (IMO) when you fast roll. Heavy or even medium armor is kinda useless, because getting hit by virtually any attack takes away so much of your health regardless of what you're wearing. It's far better to be able to roll further and faster than it is to absorb a little extra damage.

I struggled hardcore vs Ornstein and Smough until I dropped my equipment load and started fast rolling. Then the fight became really easy.

The Dark Souls games are so much easier (IMO) when you fast roll. Heavy or even medium armor is kinda useless, because getting hit by virtually any attack takes away so much of your health regardless of what you're wearing. It's far better to be able to roll further and faster than it is to absorb a little extra damage.

I struggled hardcore vs Ornstein and Smough until I dropped my equipment load and started fast rolling. Then the fight became really easy.

Yeah, armor does very little to stop damage. I always go for a fast roll and a lightweight high stability shield for when I screw up.

Yeah, armor does very little to stop damage. I always go for a fast roll and a lightweight high stability shield for when I screw up.

Dark Souls 1 with the Dark Wood Grain Ring and the medium fast roll (which I just recently found out about--there are actually three versions of fast rolling) is easy mode for sure.

Same with Dark Souls 2 and pouring your stats into ADP to increase I-frames.

3 balanced it a little better by making fast rolls only carry you further rather than increasing your I-frames.

Poise and equipload builds can lead to EZ mode builds.

Havel is a perfect example.

Dude.

You're doing it wrong. You only summon if you are one more YOU DIED away from quitting gaming altogether.

Well let me clarify, they were the only boss I’ve summoned a phantom in for. I was told by a guy at work they are basically designed to have a second player assisting you. I probably should have just tried them myself first but was basically told don’t bother.

Well let me clarify, they were the only boss I’ve summoned a phantom in for. I was told by a guy at work they are basically designed to have a second player assisting you. I probably should have just tried them myself first but was basically told don’t bother.

A properly equipped sorcerer can nuke them easily, but I’ve never had an easy time with them solo besides that. They’re bastards, but at least they are pretty predictable after a while. I think a couple of the last areas and bosses, before the final boss, can be more annoying and frustrating than them.

VN Store

Back