So if you could fire Holly, who would take her place?

Vic Schafer would KILL IT here. And Wes Moore is a very good coach but would have to recruit better than he has at NC State which would NOT really be hard because a) its Tennessee and b) the resources are available.

I wish Mickie Demoss would want to coach again as a head coach. :cray: I believe if she were here when Pat retired that’s who I think she would’ve suggested. I’ve seen her on the recruiting trail when she was at UK and she was relentless. Almost snagged two of my kids who were top 30, top 40 players nationally. She really has a way with players/recruits. They loved her and hated to tell her no.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
They should be on the phone with Wes Moore now. He would kill it here.

TOTALLY agree...I thought he should’ve been interviewed when it was clear it would be Pat’s last year. We need an x’s and o’s Coach and he’s great. UT shouldn’t feel obligated to bring in a former player. If they make that tough decision it needs to be WORTH it.

Reactions: 1 person
Fantasy - Vic Schaefer
Realistic - Kristy Curry (Bama HC)
Courtney Banghart (Princeton HC)
Wes Moore (NC State HC)
Amy Williams (Nebraska HC)
Good stuff My point is it's super easy to jump in the "fire Holly" bandwagon, but when push comes to shove, no one seems to know REALLY who we could actually get to replace her, and while they would probably be a coaching improvement, would they be a recruiting improvement?

Having said that there have been a few other good suggestions.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass - count me as one of many who wants Holly gone, but I guess we should be careful what we wish for because there's not much to choose from out there...

The whole "couldn't do worse" argument is a weak one - Holly recruits very well. Even if a replacement was a better X's and O's coach, would they be a better, or even equal, recruiter?

Last edited:
Good stuff My point is it's super easy to jump in the "fire Holly" bandwagon, but when push comes to shove, no one seems to know REALLY who we could actually get to replace her, and while they would probably be a coaching improvement, would they be a recruiting improvement?

Having said that there have been a few other good suggestions.

I'm not trying to be a smart ass - count me as one of many who wants Holly gone, but I guess we should be careful what we wish for because there's not much to choose from out there...

Oh there’s plenty to choose from. There are coaches at major programs who would leave those programs in a heartbeat given the right amount of money. Tennessee allocates money to its women’s basketball program...more than almost all others. If we snagged a coach from a top program (other than UConn, ND or Stanford) it would be equivalent to North Carolina snagging Roy Williams from Kansas. It’s one of the few jobs that people would leave other big jobs for. #MoneyTalks

Also tradition matters more than some people think. When John Calipari left Memphis for Kentucky, everyone thought it was because of money. Not true. Kentucky offered and then Fred Smith, CEO of Fed Ex and his wealthy friends countered that offer with essentially a blank check...SIGNIFICANTLY more than Kentucky’s offer. In the end, he cited the program legacy and tradition as the deciding factors. Similarly, Tennessee has legacy and tradition. We can essentially get (almost) whoever we want.

TOTALLY agree...I thought he should’ve been interviewed when it was clear it would be Pat’s last year. We need an x’s and o’s Coach and he’s great. UT shouldn’t feel obligated to bring in a former player. If they make that tough decision it needs to be WORTH it.

From NCST site:

" On March 1, 2017, he earned the official ACC Coach of the Year honor in votes by both the league’s Blue Ribbon Panel and head coaches, earning the first such honor in the 43-year history of the NC State women’s basketball program. He was also named a Naismith Women’s College Coach of the Year Semifinalist after authoring upsets of four top-15 teams throughout the season: No. 2/2 Notre Dame, at No. 6/7 Florida State, No. 12/15 Duke, and at No. 9/7 Louisville."

I believe when they beat ND that broke ND's record of something like 42 straight wins versus the ACC.

Tamika Catchings has said she doesn't want to coach.
Mickie has said she doesn't want to be a HC.
Kellie Harper isn't even as successful as Holly.
Ditto for Nikki Caldwell.
Jeff Walz would have to take a 50% pay cut to come to Tenn unless Fulmer is willing to throw a lot more money at him.
Karen Aston is another coach who has a good thing going where she is...she's poised to make Texas a national contender again and is probably taking home more $$$ than CHW...I don't see her coming to Tenn.
Mitch Barnhart???
Shaeffer isn't leaving Miss St.
Brittney Ezell has a career .461 record at a bunch of mid-majors.
Banghart is a good coach, but has a very different recruiting experience and is untested at this level.
Curry resigned from Texas Tech with a .570 record and took a pay cut to go to Alabama (handwriting on that wall?), where she instantly had a lot of interpersonal issues with the players and has a .516 record.
Williams has a .451 record at Nebraska and .612 career. Is she going to be more successful in the SEC?
Wes Moore is probably the best option suggested so far, if he can recruit at this level.

You think this collection is going to be an improvement over Holly?

I'd love to see Tenn pay Walz the >$1.5M/yr that it's probably going to take to get him at Tenn, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

Last edited:
Also tradition matters more than some people think.

Similarly, Tennessee has legacy and tradition. We can essentially get (almost) whoever we want.

As a tie-breaker, sure, if the $ is attractive.

But let's be honest. The "tradition" fans hold so dear, while real, has been eroding for nearly a decade. The Pat Summitt tradition always included excellence. The recent history is all about pretty good.

Holly is NOT going to be fired this season.

But if she were fired, some current players on the team will transfer.

At least one, and maybe more than one commit, will decommit and sign with another school.

Tennessee fans will b!tch and moan and groan about the coach hired to replace Holly.

At least one, and maybe more than one commit, will decommit and sign with another school.

Tennessee fans will b!tch and moan and groan about the coach hired to replace Holly.

Not trying to be a smart azz but are you saying lady vol fans should just resign themselves to 18-22 win seasons, 1-2 round exits from the tournament every year and be happy with it?

Reactions: 5 people
As for Harper not being as successful as Warwick, I believe her mizzou state teams have beaten a few SEC schools. She's one of only 11 coaches to take 3 different schools to NCAA tourney. This year her team lost to Alabama by 4 in Tuscaloosa; we list to them by 9 in Knoxville.

This is a FACT! Holly and Co have became a force on the recruiting trail and if she gets fired, we’re going to be pis*ed at who all transfers and decommits! Talk about a meltdown.

1. Wrong, wrong, wrong, maybe!

Reactions: 2 people
This is a FACT! Holly and Co have became a force on the recruiting trail and if she gets fired, we’re going to be pis*ed at who all transfers and decommits! Talk about a meltdown.

A new coach who may be able to turn things around, even if there is a few years rebuilding, is preferable to continuing this same path where you have a bunch of elite players constantly underperforming.

If you're happy with mediocre results with superior talent, good for you. Don't expect others to be so quick to continuously lower their standards.

Kara Lawson.

Amen Amen and Amen

I do know this. IF Kara was Coach, we would never see lack of effort. And right now that would be a PLUS>

But in the end.......IT is LONG past time for Holly to go.

This job fell into her lap. It has been a dismal failure and the program is going to new lows.

I would love to see KARA.

What difference does it make? It’s not like those top recruits are making any magic here. Lots of other coaches, with lots of less talented players, have beaten the Lady Vols during the Holly Warlick era. That stellar recruiting just magnifies what must be a coaching problem once they arrive here. Either that or all the rating systems have been wrong about every top recruit she has gotten.

Reactions: 7 people
I believe Kara has also said she doesn't want to coach, and she's got a good broadcasting gig going.
Jody Adams was terminated from her last college position at Wichita State due to interpersonal problems with the team resulting in en masse transfers and the team boycotting her practices. She is now an asst high school coach.

Tamika Catchings has said she doesn't want to coach.
Mickie has said she doesn't want to be a HC.
Kellie Harper isn't even as successful as Holly.
Ditto for Nikki Caldwell.
Jeff Walz would have to take a 50% pay cut to come to Tenn unless Fulmer is willing to throw a lot more money at him.
Karen Aston is another coach who has a good thing going where she is...she's poised to make Texas a national contender again and is probably taking home more $$$ than CHW...I don't see her coming to Tenn.
Mitch Barnhart???
Shaeffer isn't leaving Miss St.
Brittney Ezell has a career .461 record at a bunch of mid-majors.
Banghart is a good coach, but has a very different recruiting experience and is untested at this level.
Curry resigned from Texas Tech with a .570 record and took a pay cut to go to Alabama (handwriting on that wall?), where she instantly had a lot of interpersonal issues with the players and has a .516 record.
Williams has a .451 record at Nebraska and .612 career. Is she going to be more successful in the SEC?
Wes Moore is probably the best option suggested so far, if he can recruit at this level.

You think this collection is going to be an improvement over Holly?

I'd love to see Tenn pay Walz the >$1.5M/yr that it's probably going to take to get him at Tenn, but I doubt that's ever going to happen.

You are forgetting two things in your analyses of the above potential replacements for Holly. Her recruiting capability is 90% due to the legacy of Pat Summitt. Any new LV coach with have the benefit of this same legacy. Also, a good coach with have a better won-lost percentage with the superior talent at UT. Most of the coaches in the list are superior to Holly in the ability to coach WCBB players. How do I know this? By observing their teams when they play.

Another source of potential replacements for Holly are coaching assistants who are responsible and successful at team offensive/defensive strategies like Vic Schaefer was at Texas A&M before coming to Miss St.

Reactions: 5 people
Full disclosure, I’m a passionate Vol fan but don’t follow women’s cbb that closely. Shouldn’t a blue blood program like TN be able to get whatever coach they want short of Geno? If not, what the f$&k happened to Lady Vols basketball?

Reactions: 2 people
Full disclosure, I’m a passionate Vol fan but don’t follow women’s cbb that closely. Shouldn’t a blue blood program like TN be able to get whatever coach they want short of Geno? If not, what the f$&k happened to Lady Vols basketball?

It's just another program now....

I believe Kara has also said she doesn't want to coach, and she's got a good broadcasting gig going.
Jody Adams was terminated from her last college position at Wichita State due to interpersonal problems with the team resulting in en masse transfers and the team boycotting her practices. She is now an asst high school coach.

And the Lady Shockers are still NOT tearing it up at 12-16...

VN Store

Back