Favorite Live Bands

went and saw the Revivalists a couple weeks ago in Charlotte...great show....they did an extended encore, and did 3-4 covers that i wasn't expecting...one of which was a tom petty tribute, which was great. but their cover of midnight rider....well..it was awesome.

Looking forward to seeing them at Bonnaroo

Civic Colosseum, right? I was there. Was that the show where Staley was in a cast, and didn't the old Sabbath members come out and join Ozzy at the end for a couple songs?

I was a scrawny 135 pounds at the time (1993?) and thought I was going to die when the lights dropped and Sepultura hit the stage. We were maybe twenty feet from the stage and everyone started going berserk. My buds still laugh about that moment.

Yes, you are correct. I was wondering the date also. I thought it was 93/94, I graduated high school in 94 so the time frame seems right.

We were on left side in the chairs but had good seats. I remember when Sepultura started playing the floor looked like it was a whirlpool of people. First Mosh Pit I got to witness.

If I remember correctly Alice in Chains played the brunt of the set from Dirt. It had recently come out I think. Dirt was one of my all time favorite Albums.

Yes, you are correct. I was wondering the date also. I thought it was 93/94, I graduated high school in 94 so the time frame seems right.

We were on left side in the chairs but had good seats. I remember when Sepultura started playing the floor looked like it was a whirlpool of people. First Mosh Pit I got to witness.

If I remember correctly Alice in Chains played the brunt of the set from Dirt. It had recently come out I think. Dirt was one of my all time favorite Albums.

Ha, it was my first "Whirlpool" too! But I was right in the middle of it.

Yes, they did play a lot from Dirt, and that's one of my favorites of that genre too.

Also, I think that was Ozzy's first show back in Knoxville after Randy Rhodes's death, who played his last show in Knoxville years before.

Last edited:
We have a lot of the same taste in music.

I saw Ozzy, Alice in Chains, and Sepultura together. Great show. I was a fan of Ozzy but Alice in Chains was what I went to see.

I saw Bon Jovi open for Ratt.

ACDC was a fun show.

18th birthday present was Bad Company, Lynard Skynard, and driving and crying in Bristol. Not original members but still good stuff.

Went to a Hootie concert in Knoxville and They might be Giants opened and that was a cool group.

Kenny in Neyland was a unique experience.

Garth in 96' Knoxville was good.

That Ratt/Bon Jovi concert was my first, as a high school freshman at Fulton. That was pre- Slippery When Wet and they were awesome and a lot better than Ratt and I only knew one BJ song, Runaway. Man, I had a great time, mid 80s, u could smoke weed in the Civic Colosseum, back then. Well, not really, but if u got in with it, they didn't stop u from smoking it unless u did it right in front of a security guard or something. It was like the fifth time I had ever smoked it and seems like the 1st time I really got high. The music was better that night, but I still remember that I knew Bon Jovi was going to be big and Ratt were on their way down. I got to flirt and better yet, get flirted with, bought my first concert T-shirt and had one of the experiences, u will never forget. Smiling like the Joker right now and always have and will, when this memory comes to mind.

That Ratt/Bon Jovi concert was my first, as a high school freshman at Fulton. That was pre- Slippery When Wet and they were awesome and a lot better than Ratt and I only knew one BJ song, Runaway. Man, I had a great time, mid 80s, u could smoke weed in the Civic Colosseum, back then. Well, not really, but if u got in with it, they didn't stop u from smoking it unless u did it right in front of a security guard or something. It was like the fifth time I had ever smoked it and seems like the 1st time I really got high. The music was better that night, but I still remember that I knew Bon Jovi was going to be big and Ratt were on their way down. I got to flirt and better yet, get flirted with, bought my first concert T-shirt and had one of the experiences, u will never forget. Smiling like the Joker right now and always have and will, when this memory comes to mind.

I'm almost positive it was my first concert also. Pretty sure it was 85' and it was the invasion of your privacy tour by Ratt.

I would have been 10 and if I remember correctly my dad took me along with my brother which was 15.

I actually really liked that album by Ratt and at my age the chick on the cover of the album gave me a lot to think about. But, I also recognized that Bon Jovi was going to blow up.

Reactions: 1 person
Ratt...lol

They had Milton Bearle in their videos, along with scantily clad, hot chicks. Their 2 or 3 hits were catchy and they rode the hair-band craze in the 80s. I still like Round and Round, but yeah, they mostly sucked. Although, being a high school kid, Ratt and Bon Jovi had all the bad girls there, with the big hair and their sexy(or I thought it was then) rocker clothes. It's a great memory for me, now do I wish it was a great 80s band, yeah, but I'm not sure there was a truly great 80s band. Mostly, hair bands, Madonna, English pop bands(Duran Duran is my favorite), Michael Jackson and old 70s stars trying to capitalize on the MTV fad. Probably, Prince was the greatest musician of the 80s, let me give u all the obligatory, imo

Last edited:
They had Milton Bearle in their videos, along with scantily clad, hot chicks. Their 2 or 3 hits were catchy and they rode the hair-band craze in the 80s. I still like Round and Round, but yeah, they mostly sucked. Although, being a high school kid, Ratt and Bon Jovi had all the bad girls there, with the big hair and their sexy(or I thought it was then) rocker clothes. It's a great memory for me, now do I wish it was a great 80s band, yeah, but I'm not sure there was a truly great 80s band. Mostly, hair bands, Madonna, English pop bands(Duran Duran is my favorite), Michael Jackson and old 70s stars trying to capitalize on the MTV fad. Probably, Prince was the greatest musician of the 80s, let me give u all the obligatory, imo

The 80's music was so bad that I went backwards and spent the decade discovering Zep, Dylan, Floyd, etc. I did like Guns and Roses and Van Halen back then but by and large it was horrific music.

Def Leppard, Pyromania tour in the civic was unbelievable. Krokus and John Butcher Axis opened.

The 80's music was so bad that I went backwards and spent the decade discovering Zep, Dylan, Floyd, etc. I did like Guns and Roses and Van Halen back then but by and large it was horrific music.

It wasn't all bad. Ozzy's first two albums were amazing! Not to mention Iron Maiden's output in the 80's along with AC/DC and Judas Priest. Billy Idol was doing great stuff in the 80's and so was Tom Petty. U2's "The Joshua Tree is still a must own. The Police did great stuff and so did Rush. The 80's also gave us Metallica's incredible trifecta of Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All. Then there was the amazing Dio era of Black Sabbath! And of course, Guns N Roses.

There was much much more to music in the 80s than ****ty hair bands.

Last edited:
It wasn't all bad. Ozzy's first two albums were amazing! Not to mention Iron Maiden's output in the 80's along with AC/DC and Judas Priest. Billy Idol was doing great stuff in the 80's and so was Tom Petty. U2's "The Joshua Tree is still a must own. The Police did great stuff and so did Rush. The 80's also gave us Metallica's incredible trifecta of Ride The Lightning, Master of Puppets, and ...And Justice For All. Then there was the amazing Dio era of Black Sabbath! And of course, Guns N Roses.

There was much much more to music in the 80s than ****ty hair bands.

I give a bit of that some merit...but just a bit. Give me Sabbath over Ozzy and AC DC was ok for what they were.

This is all over the place over many years, but some of my most memorable shows (no particular order):

Tool
Rage
Metallica
Widespread Panic
OCMS
Phish
DMB (although my favorite was the first time I saw him at the small 328 Performance Hall in Nashville)
Punch Brothers
Barenaked Ladies
Ben Folds
Tori Amos
Lucero
Alice in Chains (sadly, post-Staley, but in the Ryman, unplugged)

Local favs:
V-Roys
Dirty Guv'nahs

I saw the Barenaked Ladies last year. Only knew a few songs going in, but they were very entertaining. Became a fan after that night

I give a bit of that some merit...but just a bit. Give me Sabbath over Ozzy and AC DC was ok for what they were.

It's all subjective. Plus, there's some music from the 80's I thought were rancid at the time but now I actually like and appreciate, particularly new wave. Some of the 80's new wave bands were very very good!

Gonna see Avatar at the end of the month. I hear they put on a great show. Hoping so.

They are awesome live. The drummer is very entertaining. I think they do a great job of having humor/fun and still being able to pull off some really heavy tunes.

Killer show! They played for about an hour fifty.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YOR-DGf0bR0[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mD_3dTJPORA[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z8nUcJknuIo[/youtube]

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back