Neyland I (Formerly known as Gruden Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
They also use mimicry. Batesian or Müllerian. They aren’t faking anything though. Just trying not to die.

Humans are too far removed from nature to really be compared to other animals anyway.

Civilized, used loosely, humans are for sure. There are still hunter gatherers out there.

The industry has the money publicity and marketing not to mention the best producers available. All of these assets are used to create a band that can tour successfully. Initial contracts are never in favor of the artist. Unless you are an obvious prodigy that checks all the boxes. Then you can start a bidding war for your services and most likely have a lawyer meeting their lawyer. If not, then you are given an opportunity to recoup all the money the label invested and create a fanbase that can carry you beyond the initial contract. They are not "eating people alive". In the 70's you had some unscrupulous agents ripping off naive artists left and right (Jimi Hendrix). In today's atmosphere, artists are much more involved and labels won't do business with such agents.

I'll disagree entirely. Labels only deal with more stable commodities now, so the devastation is less aparent.

Back in Hank Sr's time, they ran those dudes into the ground, and it either ran people out of the game, or they ended up either abandoning any semblence of integrity, or they died.

I think sometime around the late 60s, that it was a valid economic strategy to let their stars die.

It all came to a head in the nineties, when almost everyone of note died.

After that they finally figured out that there were formuli they could use that didnt involve actual death.

So, they started mandating that artists do not use narcotics on tour. They watch them with the same hawkishness that insurance companies would.

Its eliminated a massive segment of the most creative people around and replaced them with rich kids who have an innate understanding of socioeconomic dynamics, but have absolutely no clue what it means to be so devoted to the craft you love beyond all else.

Don't talk to me about people who have figured out how to do it on their own, and found great success.

They're also rich kids, and they got no feel.

Reactions: 1 person
Civilized, used loosely, humans are for sure. There are still hunter gatherers out there.

Most people have no idea how far out of touch we’ve gotten. Unfortunately, our descendants will be the ones to deal with the mess we’ve made.

Oh God man, I’d have to dig through boxes. I have so much **** I’ve stored away in totes and closets. I did this one of an old dying tree on the edge of a pond that was decent. I’ll see if I can find it.

I'm about to join my angel in the bed anyway brother. We sleep with 2 dogs. Every time I walk in the bedroom while they are sleeping, I might as well be a marching band. Dawgs be barkin!

I'll disagree entirely. Labels only deal with more stable commodities now, so the devastation is less aparent.

Back in Hank Sr's time, they ran those dudes into the ground, and it either ran people out of the game, or they ended up either abandoning any semblence of integrity, or they died.

I think sometime around the late 60s, that it was a valid economic strategy to let their stars die.

It all came to a head in the nineties, when almost everyone of note died.

After that they finally figured out that there were formuli they could use that didnt involve actual death.

So, they started mandating that artists do not use narcotics on tour. They watch them with the same hawkishness that insurance companies would.

Its eliminated a massive segment of the most creative people around and replaced them with rich kids who have an innate understanding of socioeconomic dynamics, but have absolutely no clue what it means to be so devoted to the craft you love beyond all else.

Don't talk to me about people who have figured out how to do it on their own, and found great success.

They're also rich kids, and they got no feel.

They figured out in the ‘90’s that all you need is a marketable face and the right personality to sell music. Technology made their jobs so much easier. Fixing voices who can’t stay in tune. Replacing instruments and bands.

Unfortunately, it was the downfall of real artists.

Last edited:
They figured out in the ‘90’s that all you need is a marketable face to sell music. Technology made their jobs so much easier. Fixing voices who can’t stay in tune. Replacing instruments and bands.

Unfortunately, it was the downfall of real artists.

They still need charisma, and thats why we have a world full of artists that have huge followings and no actual capacity for creativity.

There are absolutely still suprrnely talented people making it big.

But theyre either boring, or have contrived personalities.

They still need charisma, and thats why we have a world full of artists that have huge followings and no actual capacity for creativity.

There are absolutely still suprrnely talented people making it big.

But theyre either boring, or have contrived personalities.

I amended my original statement to include “the right personality”. But yes, they are boring now. Not enough real music is mainstream now.

Look at Taylor Swift. Great songwriter, terrible singer, and I can play more guitar than she can and I’m barely any good. But she’s marketable and has a likeable personality so she makes millions. And the record companies make even more off of her.

People who would have once been ace studio musicians or songwriters are now thrust into mass notoriety.

The problem is, theyre stifled or manipulated in what they release.

Its a shame, because they may have been great talents if theyd been allowed to develop without the interference.

Then you got the hacks who make it because they look real good, or they know how to navigate social media very well.

Theyve always been around. Always will, in some form.

Don't get me started on the succesful indie artists, or bands.

Its become an incredibly subdued way of creating music that appears to appeal to people who like 'real music', but its really just a heartless immitation of a significantly more organic, energetic, brilliant expression of roots music.

Good quality instruments cost too much these days,and there is a massive divide between how regular people live, and how artists perceive reality

People who would have once been ace studio musicians or songwriters are now thrust into mass notoriety.

The problem is, theyre stifled or manipulated in what they release.

Its a shame, because they may have been great talents if theyd been allowed to develop without the interference.

Then you got the hacks who make it because they look real good, or they know how to navigate social media very well.

Theyve always been around. Always will, in some form.

Don't get me started on the succesful indie artists, or bands.

Its become an incredibly subdued way of creating music that appears to appeal to people who like 'real music', but its really just a heartless immitation of a significantly more organic, energetic, brilliant expression of roots music.

Good quality instruments cost too much these days,and there is a massive divide between how regular people live, and how artists perceive reality

Hit the nail on the head. I can’t stand hipsters who think they know what “real music” is.

Capitalism, man. It ruins art. Makes me sad.

I emailed you back by the way.

Hit the nail on the head. I can’t stand hipsters who think they know what “real music” is.

Capitalism, man. It ruins art. Makes me sad.

I emailed you back by the way.

Hipsters have infected folk with uper middle class mediocrity. Blows my minf that they can sell records. Reminds me of the late 50s\early 60s whitewashed versions of black music.

Hipsters have infected folk with uper middle class mediocrity. Blows my minf that they can sell records. Reminds me of the late 50s\early 60s whitewashed versions of black music.

Great analogy, actually. B.B. King was always my favorite guitarist. Black people are just innately more honest with themselves than white people. Makes for great art.

Great analogy, actually. B.B. King was always my favorite guitarist. Black people are just innately more honest with themselves than white people. Makes for great art.

I'd say rather, that there were more black folks with nothing left to lose.

Why not pour your soul into a lost cause if youre ****ed anyway?

I never cared where someone came from, or who they were if they were able to do that crazy thing so few do. That natural crazy that makes you scream from the bottom of your gut, or that knack to transcend language through an instrument.

I wish there was a way to blend the articulation of motown music with the lyrics of very real country, and the insanity of honest to god hard rock.

Eminem just dropped a new album. ****, you wanna talk about artists? That man is good.

I'd say rather, that there were more black folks with nothing left to lose.

Why not pour your soul into a lost cause if youre ****ed anyway?

I never cared where someone came from, or who they were if they were able to do that crazy thing so few do. That natural crazy that makes you scream from the bottom of your gut, or that knack to transcend language through an instrument.

I wish there was a way to blend the articulation of motown music with the lyrics of very real country, and the insanity of honest to god hard rock.

It takes a special person and a special moment. I’m glad you get it. Without anything to lose, all you have left to give is your soul. And that’s what they put into it. And it’s why it turned out so brilliant.

It takes a special person and a special moment. I’m glad you get it. Without anything to lose, all you have left to give is your soul. And that’s what they put into it. And it’s why it turned out so brilliant.

Probably why you see so many great records released the same time the musicians are barely hanging on,

Listen to Eminem’s new album. “Like Home” makes me feel like we have some hope. People are fighting back.

im gonna do some weird stuff

Morning ape. I agree with a lot of what you said about music nowadays. From the business side, they are driven by demographics like any other business. 14 year old girls are driving popular music. Have for years. The A&R executives have had their teeth pulled by bean counters. Producers tow the company line. Artists either choose to change for the opportunity or go it alone. They have a lot of ways to get themselves out there and attract a following. More than ever before. 24 track studios are very expensive. Computer programs were developed because the demand was there. These new products can become another instrument, and can make live reproduction nearly impossible. It is however a grass roots revolution, but not from a musical standpoint. Record companies have lost billions collectively because of the alternatives to recording and digital music. I say more power to them. As far as the music itself, it mostly all sucks to anyone who is old enough to know better. I'll take the Almond Brothers over Arcade Fire any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back