Recruiting Forum Football Talk LV

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fair or not, this is why you don't follow a legend.

Yep. It's why I don't think it's going to be so simple for Bama to replace Saban like some think. Maybe it will be but why would Dabo leave a place he is becoming his own legend at. If Pruitt wins big here and becomes set it may not be as simple for him to leave either although I think it will be harder for him to pass up than Dabo.

Look at UCLA after Wooden, Lady Vols after pat, Vols after Fulmer, Texas after Mack, USC after Carrol, Miami after Butch davis. It's hard to follow guys with high levels of success that create such a high floor of expectations

Reactions: 1 person
She was hand picked by Pat Summit though.

Another thing that shouldn't be allowed to happen.

Nope. Turnovers and lack of ability to break down zones have been obvious problems since her first season, and neither have even come close to being corrected. No one else to blame but the person in charge.

Agree on everything y'all posted. Nobody could get that through the hard heads of the key supporters and administrators though.

As soon as ND started using the zone I told my wife it was over. She laughed and said they still have a big lead. I told her to just keep watching. I was smart enough not to rub it in. :)

Any person in charge that could not take from that proof over years of games that a change needs to be made to protect the LV legacy of great basketball needs to fired unless that is their plan - to deemphasize the program. It's UT and the LV's legacy - not Pat's legacy. She left with a great legacy, but she is no longer with us. The LV's are. Same in the football program. It took embarrassing disasters for over a decade and backing into asking a loyal Fulmer to take over to hopefully fix football. It should not have come to that, but it does because of the complete failures of leaders that have the authority there.

Has Gibbs officially left UGA? I know he missed the last few games and was away from the team with an undisclosed medical issue, which some speculated to be drug-related. If true, maybe there were enough failed drug tests to get him booted?

Yep. It's why I don't think it's going to be so simple for Bama to replace Saban like some think. Maybe it will be but why would Dabo leave a place he is becoming his own legend at. If Pruitt wins big here and becomes set it may not be as simple for him to leave either although I think it will be harder for him to pass up than Dabo.

Look at UCLA after Wooden, Lady Vols after pat, Vols after Fulmer, Texas after Mack, USC after Carrol, Miami after Butch davis. It's hard to follow guys with high levels of success that create such a high floor of expectations

Good post. :good!:

IMO in CJP's case it will depend on how much support he gets from UT, fans and the boosters. If they treat him right and all is going well I doubt he leaves. It things are rocky, he probably would. Same with Dabo. If all is going well and he is in the NC hunt often, he probably stays. Bama's day of reckoning is coming IMO.

Agree on everything y'all posted. Nobody could get that through the hard heads of the key supporters and administrators though.

As soon as ND started using the zone I told my wife it was over. She laughed and said they still have a big lead. I told her to just keep watching. I was smart enough not to rub it in. :)

Any person in charge that could not take from that proof over years of games that a change needs to be made to protect the LV legacy of great basketball needs to fired unless that is their plan - to deemphasize the program. It's UT and the LV's legacy - not Pat's legacy. She left with a great legacy, but she is no longer with us. The LV's are. Same in the football program. It took embarrassing disasters for over a decade and backing into asking a loyal Fulmer to take over to hopefully fix football. It should not have come to that, but it does because of the complete failures of leaders that have the authority there.

Boom.

We've got way too many people over there interested in maximizing profit, building buildings and self preservation. We should be focused on winning championships.

Pat handpicked Holly as her successor because she thought Holly had earned the chance and she thought she was leaving the program in good hands. And in some ways, she did. But being a HC is a tough job, and not everybody can do it. Holly answered almost every question in last night's presser with "I don't know." She doesn't know how to fix the team's problems. And that's an even bigger problem.

A. Fixing turnovers requires a cultural change, and it MUST come from the top. You have to be tough on players that don't value the basketball. I don't think Holly can fix this becuase I don't think that sort of tough love is part of her personality. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't believe that I am.

B. Not being able to attack zones is inexcusable, though. You can hire assistants that will help in this regard. Also, there's a myriad of info out there to help you develop effective zone-busting strategies. She may know all of this, but it's not translating to the court, and that's just as big a problem as not knowing.

Reactions: 3 people
Not many people in the tower focused on winning championships. That's only trotted out on media days to keep the natives from getting too restless.

Not many people in the tower focused on winning championships. That's only trotted out on media days to keep the natives from getting too restless.

I think we do have one person in the admin now that wants to win championships, but I don't think women's bball is a big priority for him.

A. Fixing turnovers requires a cultural change, and it MUST come from the top. You have to be tough on players that don't value the basketball. I don't think Holly can fix this becuase I don't think that sort of tough love is part of her personality. Maybe I'm wrong here, but I don't believe that I am.

B. Not being able to attack zones is inexcusable, though. You can hire assistants that will help in this regard. Also, there's a myriad of info out there to help you develop effective zone-busting strategies. She may know all of this, but it's not translating to the court, and that's just as big a problem as not knowing.

Tough love definitely isn't part of Holly's personality. Pat was tough and demanding. Holly always played the best buddy role-- the shoulder the players cried on when Pat was hard on them.

Holly's doing all she knows to do, and she's upfront about that. One solution is to surround her with assistants who can compensate for her deficiencies and give them the authority to do so or perhaps create some type of co-HC structure with a revised role for Holly.

I think we do have one person in the admin now that wants to win championships, but I don't think women's bball is a big priority for him.

I think it's important for him to win championships in all marquee sports. WBB is the program closest to that. The others are years away.

Lady Vols are 16-2.

Holly is here to stay. Sorry to tell y’all.

I don't necessarily believe that is true.

I think Holly has failed (OK, maybe a D grade) as an in-game coach, up to this point. This season has been an exception to the rule - until last night.

If this team cannot turn things around after last night (I know, it's just one game), then I think this season should be her last. With the way they have recruited, someone could come in here right now, and really do well.

I think Holly hit a homerun when she hired Sharrona Reaves. This has elevated recruiting in a major way. However, it doesn't matter how well they recruit if they can't win at tourney time.

Could Sharrona or someone else on staff, do the job? I don't know, but this one hire notwithstanding, I do not feel that she has done enough to deserve to keep this job. I think the rest of this season should be the deciding factor. They need to continue the upward trajectory, or else.

I don't necessarily believe that is true.

I think Holly has failed (OK, maybe a D grade) as an in-game coach, up to this point. This season has been an exception to the rule - until last night.

If this team cannot turn things around after last night (I know, it's just one game), then I think this season should be her last. With the way they have recruited, someone could come in here right now, and really do well.

I think Holly hit a homerun when she hired Sharrona Reaves. This has elevated recruiting in a major way. However, it doesn't matter how well they recruit if they can't win at tourney time.

Could Sharrona or someone else on staff, do the job? I don't know, but this one hire notwithstanding, I do not feel that she has done enough to deserve to keep this job. I think the rest of this season should be the deciding factor. They need to continue the upward trajectory, or else.

They are not going to fire a coach that wins that much in a non-revenue sport.

Where is AmazingGrace to defend Holly now??

Lol huh? Maybe you have me confused with someone.

The only time I've even commented on her this year was a few weeks ago & I remember specifically saying "I don't follow women's bball much but her recruiting clsss was really good". But I knew they way they were playing at the time was a huge turnaround from seasons past.

I think she's a mediocre coach at best.

I think it's important for him to win championships in all marquee sports. WBB is the program closest to that. The others are years away.

Wrong....Softball is the closest to winning championships...been that way for a while now.

Reactions: 4 people
Boom.

We've got way too many people over there interested in maximizing profit, building buildings and self preservation. We should be focused on winning championships.

This may be a controversial statement among my fellow academics who pin all issues with higher education on shrinking state support, but Ziti just highlighted the major issues with every major state university in one sentence.

They're worried about making money and bs metrics instead of kicking @$$ across the board, from sports to job placement to grant proposals.

If any of you took Intro to Archaeology from Doc Schroedl back in the day, he had a great saying that always stuck in my mind - "Universities are now corporations masquerading as medieval institutions."

Reactions: 4 people
Wrong....Softball is the closest to winning championships...been that way for a while now.

One dominant pitcher away from a NCAA Championship. When we had the dominant pitcher, Abbott, we didn't have the hitting, now we do. I would say it's inevitable. UT and the Weekly's have been too close, too many times. UT gets at least one, in the next 5 years

They are not going to fire a coach that wins that much in a non-revenue sport.

The season isn't over.

Obviously, if they only lose 3 or 4 more games, and play well in the tourneys, there would be no justification to fire her this year. I am just not convinced that she is capable of keeping them on the right track.

I’m not going to pretend to know much about women’s basketball because it’s like watching paint dry, but is Tennessee even a top 4 program anymore?

Not sure they are. What are the realistic expectations every year? F4?

Also, inb4 NO WOMENS BASKETBALL TALK in the FOOTBALL FORUM

This may be a controversial statement among my fellow academics who pin all issues with higher education on shrinking state support, but Ziti just highlighted the major issues with every major state university in one sentence.

They're worried about making money and bs metrics instead of kicking @$$ across the board, from sports to job placement to grant proposals.

If any of you took Intro to Archaeology from Doc Schroedl back in the day, he had a great saying that always stuck in my mind - "Universities are now corporations masquerading as medieval institutions."

I was going to take it as an elective, but I didn't think it would be challenging enough.

Reactions: 2 people

And they just signed the top 1 or 2 class in the country depending on who ranks them. Flosoftball seems to be the go to for softball at the moment. They have UT as the #1 2018 class by a sizable margin.

Plus I think he has enough respect for Pat that he doesn’t want to see the program that she built fall by the wayside. I’m not a huge women’s basketball fan but the Lady Vols are a source of pride for the university. Any time you have a championship level program, much less the marquee program in all of the sport, it should be imports to maintain that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back