Neyland I (Formerly known as Gruden Thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was -6.75 in one eye and -7.25 I think in the other (can’t remember which eye was which), plus astigmatism AND needing the bifocal bit. I had not been able to read the big E since age 16 or so.

Yes folks, in a nice dark room, I couldn’t read the big E. It was just a dim grey blur. When you’ve got long eyeballs...

Finally, after waiting for the yearly prescription updates to settle down and stop getting worse, I had Lasik at ~age 55 or so, resulting in 20/20 one eye, 20/10 in the other. Still needed readers, but I was expecting that. After they did the first eye, and they were changing the eye shield to the other eye, I blinked and was able to read the clock across the room through the pink haze and started crying. I’ll never forget that.

After 8 or so years, they’ve settled to 20/20 and 20/30. Yes, I wear readers, but that’s not what Lasik is for. (The money lady said that once I had cataracts, Medicare would pay for intra-ocular lenses that would correct for astigmatism and reading, so woot!) I was scared witless when I did it, but I’m so so glad I did.

Consider Lasik once your eyes have settled down.

Great for you! I'm -7.5/-8.0 (had bifocals when I was 10) and my eye doc won't consider it. He actually suggested that the cataract surgery might be an option even though I don't have cataracts. Just getting the lenses would help tremendously. We'll see what he says next time I go in.

Another reason I hate snow, Blizzard of '93, when UT didn't cancel classes. Everything was iced over. I fell so many times that day my bottom was literally bruised. I had trouble sitting for weeks.

Lol. I went to college in Vermont. They never cancelled school but there were plenty of days the professors didn't show because they couldn't get out of their driveways.

Another reason I hate snow, Blizzard of '93, when UT didn't cancel classes. Everything was iced over. I fell so many times that day my bottom was literally bruised. I had trouble sitting for weeks.

We grabbed an old recliner. Ripped off a couple of road signs. Connected the 2. Bent up the fronts of the signs. Tied the recliner to a 4X4 and took turns riding through campus and Ft. Sanders.

Reactions: 1 person
I cut my teeth early on driving in it. Got the drift thing down. It's the ***holes going 75 in their 4×4s that I worry about. My wife really really can't drive, especially in snow. She a teacher so she doesn't have to.

And the guys in the ‘67 Malibu’s on a beer run. They’re in Serious Detroit Iron, and they know no fear.

And the guys in the ‘67 Malibu’s on a beer run. They’re in Serious Detroit Iron, and they know no fear.

Y’all getting snow, VNE? I drove from Greeneville to Charlotte by way of 321 on Monday and it was a tad dicey. to be fair, I’m terrified of snowy roads and think everything is black ice. I even think the salt is ice.

Reactions: 2 people
Y’all getting snow, VNE? I drove from Greeneville to Charlotte by way of 321 on Monday and it was a tad dicey. to be fair, I’m terrified of snowy roads and think everything is black ice. I even think the salt is ice.

I will certainly be on black ice white ice and maybe some Hawaiian ice at about 6 am tomorrow! Fml

I wish we could somehow drain Loch Ness to see if Nessie exists. I like cryptozoology.

We did, but I was zzz’ing away.

Looks like about two inches. Nothing much anyway. Nothing on Monday or earlier.

I doubt there’s any ice underneath (could be, of course), as it was already cold. We don’t watch local TV, so I’m clueless. :)

It’s 16 now. :eek:hmy:

Sitting in my living room watching the idiots think their SUVs are a match for the hill, a curve, and the layer of ice with 5 inches of snow on top of it; I’ve watched the last two to turn down my street slide straight into either the tree line or a yard. Who is going 25 through a quiet dead end neighborhood under normal circumstances, yet alone this weather?

Sitting in my living room watching the idiots think their SUVs are a match for the hill, a curve, and the layer of ice with 5 inches of snow on top of it; I’ve watched the last two to turn down my street slide straight into either the tree line or a yard. Who is going 25 through a quiet dead end neighborhood under normal circumstances, yet alone this weather?
Better than TV Lexi. People are strange

This crap has been here since last Friday! Go away already!

Attachments

• 20180117_192008.jpg
    20180117_192008.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 6
I hope you guys don't mind, I like to hang around in here sometimes and see what is going on. In my job, when there is snow or ice, I have to stay at my work place to make sure everyone is taking care of in my 2 departments. When that happens, it's nice to get involved in the discussions in here (or just to read) until clear to go home. Its nice to read the intelligent back and forth in here.

This is the busy time of year for me and my annual compensation package is pretty much based on taking care of the busy time. The weather can affect my commute but doesn't change the workload or my deadlines. I just drop it in 4 Hi and double my allotted drive time. Neighborhood streets are hit and miss in Nashville but main roads are fine.

This is the busy time of year for me and my annual compensation package is pretty much based on taking care of the busy time. The weather can affect my commute but doesn't change the workload or my deadlines. I just drop it in 4 Hi and double my allotted drive time. Neighborhood streets are hit and miss in Nashville but main roads are fine.

Be careful out there! It sounds like you have a solid plan but the other idiots don't.

I hope you're as cold as I am.

When I first walked ousidet to let the dog out I "told" myself it wasn't that bad. I took him on a walk a little later and the wind had picked up off the water. We turned around and wend back inside!!!:loco:

I hope you guys don't mind, I like to hang around in here sometimes and see what is going on. In my job, when there is snow or ice, I have to stay at my work place to make sure everyone is taking care of in my 2 departments. When that happens, it's nice to get involved in the discussions in here (or just to read) until clear to go home. Its nice to read the intelligent back and forth in here.

Might be the first time ever that conversation on VN was called intelligent.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back