Game Thread Lady Vols at South Carolina

As you have responded before SMDH. But then of course you see nothing wrong wit you being duplicit. Did EW's people go off they way they talked about that poor child!? Of course I too should be entitled to my opinion. Seems to me you were encouraging a rift in "your"/our beloved team.

Are you referring to me or Lindsay? I’m thinking Lindsay right.........

Reactions: 1 person
And that is your opinion and we all had a right to, what's clearly not a good look is for folk to take what occurred on that platform and bring it onto this platform and not tell the full story.

It made it seem as such he just went off when that wasn't the case, therefore if folk are to tell it, tell the entire story and not pick and choose what they share.

Because the selective screen shots posted was uploaded to make it one-sided and not share the contributing factors which isn't cool and I stand behind everything I said.

His daughter wasn't the only one guarding Carter that night and when she was we were in a zone and when she blew by his daughter there was no help side defense

Which was different when our guards blew by Carter and Williams and Hillsman or Howard always seemed to be there to challenge the shot.

My agreement that it seems that some players are allowed to make mistake after mistake and never see the bench because of their poor performance yet others do and I believe that to be true.

Also how the 2 quick fouls and sit rule apply to some and not to others and folks response are always well Holly "trust" her seniors not to foul

And I stated if that is the case than her father is validated for stating he felt Holly doesn't "trust" his daughter and how Holly not trusting her he felt has his daughter second guessing how to play the game.

So whether or not whomever feels my actions were wrong I could care less.

I was always raised to express how you feel and not to do what everyone else is doing.

I can support his stance and still have love for Holly (staff), the Lady Vols, and it's fanbase.

The issue on here as well as in a lot of the groups seems to be if folk don't side with the "cult" (everyone else/popular opinion) then they are trolling or wrong. I'll accept that and will always state my opinion whether it's liked or not. I can either be removed from this platform, ignored, or removed from the others.

Your post for the most part seem like a true vol fan to me and I am glad you brought up the selected portion and the fact you recognized or wasn’t the time or place to air such grievances.

I will say this staff has benched players over the mistakes the past couple of games. Meme was pulled after that pass on a breakaway, Evina has been benched this year, Rennia has been pulled out of games as well. I like the fact they are bringing players out and the coaches are talking to them. Let’s be honest they are ALL allowed to make mistakes and Holly and her staff has stated that. Evina has been benched and she has been put back in. Annie has had 9 turnovers in a game and the coaches still trusted her. Rennia was playing subpar in both Auburn and Vandy games and was placed back into the game and she had attacking buckets that got the team back into the groove.

For anyone “attacking” a player that is just uncalled for and I could see why Mr. Hayes would be upset. We can all agree that wasn’t the time or place for a rant but sometimes it just happens and if he owned his $#!+ then I’m ok with it.

That being said Mr. Westbrook looks like a big fella and I don’t think he would take kindly to anyone messing with his daughter either 😂 be it poster, fan, Coach, or another parent.

I will say Ms. Hayes proved why she is a valued member by the staff BUT Ms. Westbrook also proved why she is a valued member so we are blessed to have them both. I’d rather them play for us then against either of them.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Are you referring to me or Lindsay? I’m thinking Lindsay

Can’t we all just get along we are 16-1 and these ladies need us to send positive energy going into yet another hostile crowd!

Dead issue + Road Win = Teamunity/16-1

😁

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Your post for the most part seem like a true vol fan to me and I am glad you brought up the selected portion and the fact you recognized or wasn’t the time or place to air such grievances.

I will say this staff has benched players over the mistakes the past couple of games. Meme was pulled after that pass on a breakaway, Evina has been benched this year, Rennia has been pulled out of games as well. I like the fact they are bringing players out and the coaches are talking to them. Let’s be honest they are ALL allowed to make mistakes and Holly and her staff has stated that. Evina has been benched and she has been put back in. Annie has had 9 turnovers in a game and the coaches still trusted her. Rennia was playing subpar in both Auburn and Vandy games and was placed back into the game and she had attacking buckets that got the team back into the groove.

For anyone “attacking” a player that is just uncalled for and I could see why Mr. Hayes would be upset. We can all agree that wasn’t the time or place for a rant but sometimes it just happens and if he owned his $#!+ then I’m ok with it.

That being said Mr. Westbrook looks like a big fella and I don’t think he would take kindly to anyone messing with his daughter either 😂 be it poster, fan, Coach, or another parent.

I will say Ms. Hayes proved why she is a valued member by the staff BUT Ms. Westbrook also proved why she is a valued member so we are blessed to have them both. I’d rather them play for us then against either of them.

The two of them in together (Annie and Westbrook) is going to be a problem for college basketball and I also love that we have them both!

Reactions: 2 people
And that is your opinion and we all had a right to, what's clearly not a good look is for folk to take what occurred on that platform and bring it onto this platform and not tell the full story.

It made it seem as such he just went off when that wasn't the case, therefore if folk are to tell it, tell the entire story and not pick and choose what they share.

Because the selective screen shots posted was uploaded to make it one-sided and not share the contributing factors which isn't cool and I stand behind everything I said.

His daughter wasn't the only one guarding Carter that night and when she was we were in a zone and when she blew by his daughter there was no help side defense

Which was different when our guards blew by Carter and Williams and Hillsman or Howard always seemed to be there to challenge the shot.

My agreement that it seems that some players are allowed to make mistake after mistake and never see the bench because of their poor performance yet others do and I believe that to be true.

Also how the 2 quick fouls and sit rule apply to some and not to others and folks response are always well Holly "trust" her seniors not to foul

And I stated if that is the case than her father is validated for stating he felt Holly doesn't "trust" his daughter and how Holly not trusting her he felt has his daughter second guessing how to play the game.

So whether or not whomever feels my actions were wrong I could care less.

I was always raised to express how you feel and not to do what everyone else is doing.

I can support his stance and still have love for Holly (staff), the Lady Vols, and it's fanbase.

The issue on here as well as in a lot of the groups seems to be if folk don't side with the "cult" (everyone else/popular opinion) then they are trolling or wrong. I'll accept that and will always state my opinion whether it's liked or not. I can either be removed from this platform, ignored, or removed from the others.

On one hand, Mr Hayes' response is all understandable. On the other, as an adult, who has had a kid in competitive sports for a while, he should also know to ignore social media. Posts on message and fan boards are not representative of a fan base but represent the opinions of vocal outliers. Studies have shown that on most high traffic websites, the vast majority of users are "silent lurkers."

I have a son who plays at the collegiate level and I don't always agree with coaching situations or how he is being handled. But, there is a time for helicopter parenting to end. All that matters is between Holly, Annie, and her team mates. Annie can use her parents for emotional support but they should stay above the fray (I know easier said than done). And Holly has played Evina and Annie together in a number of games. But Meme provides some important attributes to the game as well.

The fact that Annie can't or won't take jump shots places some limits on how she can be used. Meme now provides a decent outside shooting threat and sometimes, the game is not right for a three guard line-up.

What if Meme's or Cheriden's parents starting posting and complaining that their kids needed more playing time or any other LV parent for that matter? When your kid signs on that dotted line, part of the deal is that you are agreeing to trust the coaching staff. Annie is getting good minutes and at crucial times as a freshman on a 16-1 team. There should be no negativity around this program and the fans who are trying to stir up crap just need to be ignored.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
On one hand, Mr Hayes' response is all understandable. On the other, as an adult, who has had a kid in competitive sports for a while, he should also know to ignore social media. Posts on media boards are not representative of a fan base but represent the opinions of vocal outliers. Studies have shown that on most high traffic website, the vast majority of users are silent lurkers.

I have a son who plays at the collegiate level and I don't always agree with coaching situations or how he is being handled. But, there is a time for helicopter parenting to end. All that matters is between Holly, Annie, and her team mates. Annie can use her parent for emotional support but they should stay about the fray (I know easier said than done). And Holly has played Evina and Annie together in a number of games. But Meme provides some important attributes to the game as well.

The fact that Annie can't or won't take jump shots places some limits on how she can be used. Meme now provides a decent outside shooting threat and sometimes, the game is not right for a three guard line-up.

What if Meme's or Cheriden's parents starting posting and complaining that their kids needed more playing time or anyother Lv parent for that matter. When your kid signs on that dotted line, part of the deal is you are agreeing to trust the coaching staff. Annie is getting good minutes and at crucial times as a freshman on a 16-1 team. There should be no negativity around this program and the fans who are trying to stir up crap just need to be ignored.

Well said! 16-1!

This team has a lot of looks that give opponents problems. Having three different guards with different skill sets along with the stability provided by MR and JN and the up and coming games of London and RD makes preparation for this team a bit difficult especially when KD is hitting threes. I believe this team will beat itself before an opponent on the schedule beats them. They just need to learn to put the pedal to the metal when they get those double digit leads and not let up by trying to make someone's highlight reel. Just keep doing what got them the lead until the other team stops it then do something different but effective.....

In soccer, they have a phrase "Play simple" or don't try to force the low probability pass or high risk one-on-one play when an easier and simpler option is available. Of course sometimes you have to take risks but when you have a lead that is a time to play simple. When the LVs went up by 18, they had 3 for 4 possessions where they forced passes into double coverage or tried to make an almost impossible pass on the break (meme had one that wound up in 3rd row). I think they are transitioning. This team is playing at a much faster tempo than last year but there decision making speed has not quite caught up and they are just misjudging some situations or anticipating things that don't happen.

A telling but small example, was on one play, Evina threw a pass to Meme's back and it went out of bounds. So, Evina "saw" an open orange jersey but did not also process that Meme had no way of knowing a pass was coming because she was running down the court with her back to the play. A player like Meme needs to have a little more court awareness that passes can now come from anywhere but Evina (and others) need to read the game situation better and not just go "Hey, I see a flash of orange, PASS!

Last edited:
Just got to watch this game on replay. Good things to take away for both teams really. Tennessee did what they were supposed to do and finished out the game strong. It really is a testament to these freshman because last year Tennessee just didn't have enough viable options. If MR, DD, or JN were off or God forbid more than one of them were off it was an automatic loss. These kids have proven they are willing to pull their own weight, they really don't have a choice, but are taking on the challenge well.

South Carolina should be pretty proud as well. I expected them to get destroyed on rebounds, which they did, and figured they would foul a ton but they only had 3 more fouls than Tennessee and 5 less free throw attempts. They probably wish they had made a few more but to be within 4 points in the 4th without your leading scorer and rebounder I would say is encouraging. I was sure they wouldn't be able to muster more than 50 points but they still managed to put up 70 so I think Dawn should be pleased. What's even better is she can show these young players the tape of how sluggish they looked so they can work on their conditioning.

In soccer, they have a phrase "Play simple" or don't try to force the low probability pass or high risk one-on-one play when an easier and simpler option is available. Of course sometimes you have to take risks but when you have a lead that is a time to play simple. When the LVs went up by 18, they had 3 for 4 possessions where they forced passes into double coverage or tried to make an almost impossible pass on the break (meme had one that wound up in 3rd row). I think they are transitioning. This team is playing at a much faster tempo than last year but there decision making speed has not quite caught up and they are just misjudging some situations or anticipating things that don't happen.

A telling but small example, was on one play, Evina threw a pass to Meme's back and it went out of bounds. So, Evina "saw" an open orange jersey but did not also process that Meme had no way of knowing a pass was coming because she was running down the court with her back to the play. A player like Meme needs to have a little more court awareness that passes can now come from anywhere but Evina (and others) need to read the game situation better and not just go "Hey, I see a flash of orange, PASS!

We were taught if you see someone running down court and not looking for the ball to hit them in the. Head with the ball !!!!!! Silly but simple rule.... always be looking for the ball! Of course this was in practice but our coaches blamed the person for not looking for the ball.

This is not the first time for this to happen???? If you are playing with Evina you had better be looking! One of her best skills is passing. Just Saying 🤔

We were taught if you see someone running down court and not looking for the ball to hit them in the. Head with the ball !!!!!! Silly but simple rule.... always be looking for the ball! Of course this was in practice but our coaches blamed the person for not looking for the ball.

This is not the first time for this to happen???? If you are playing with Evina you had better be looking! One of her best skills is passing. Just Saying 🤔

That is true and as I said, players like Meme need to up their court awareness given that a pass can now come from just about anywhere. But, the passer also needs to understand when and when to not throw a pass. So, there is a learning curve on both sides.

And is not just Evina. On some occasions, a LV will have a shot in the lane and then suddenly try to drop off a pass but the "reciever" is expecting a shot and getting into rebounding position (and that situation usually results in a TO). We are now starting to get into the heart of the season, so these learning adjustments need to be made sooner than later.

Just got to watch this game on replay. Good things to take away for both teams really. Tennessee did what they were supposed to do and finished out the game strong. It really is a testament to these freshman because last year Tennessee just didn't have enough viable options. If MR, DD, or JN were off or God forbid more than one of them were off it was an automatic loss. These kids have proven they are willing to pull their own weight, they really don't have a choice, but are taking on the challenge well.

South Carolina should be pretty proud as well. I expected them to get destroyed on rebounds, which they did, and figured they would foul a ton but they only had 3 more fouls than Tennessee and 5 less free throw attempts. They probably wish they had made a few more but to be within 4 points in the 4th without your leading scorer and rebounder I would say is encouraging. I was sure they wouldn't be able to muster more than 50 points but they still managed to put up 70 so I think Dawn should be pleased. What's even better is she can show these young players the tape of how sluggish they looked so they can work on their conditioning.

Can you post a link I'd like to see the replay of the game

Loved the way the frosh dug in when the going was tough. It had gotten a little loose, but they tightened it back up to end the game well!

My guide (comcast) gives 1/20 at 6:00 PM on ES2HD, whatever that is. Also is on Watch ESPN Xfinity has it on ESPN3; I can get it on my iPad or play it through the TV. Hope that helps.

I have uverse, no recast...if you have an internet link, i'd appreciate it

As you have responded before SMDH. But then of course you see nothing wrong wit you being duplicit. Did EW's people go off they way they talked about that poor child!? Of course I too should be entitled to my opinion. Seems to me you were encouraging a rift in "your"/our beloved team.

No.

Great game. Job well done to bounce back from the previous loss.

Player of the game:
Evina Westbrook

I DVR’d the game so I replayed a lot of plays and got to watch it intently.

My takeaways from the game:

As a team overall we did a great job, penetrating the zone, getting the inside to Mercedes and playing with more urgency.
Another recurring problem is the turnovers.
We are TOO laxed with the basketball. Lazy, fancy passes, forcing the pass into the paint with so much traffic.

Evina- great game, she dished it well in the first half and scored when we needed baskets in the second half. The loss to A&M and her mistakes did not phase her whatsoever. She plays with a lot of swag, which I love!
One of the plays in the first half when she ripped the ball from Herrigan gave me life!

Meme- steady game for her. Too many fancy passes with her, and she needs to be more selective with her shots selection. I love love her on the ball defense. I believe she is the most athletic on the team.

Rennia- didn’t rebound as much today but she scored more this time and I just hope this will help with her confidence as the season moves on.

Jamie - great game, she usually takes the most shots on the team, I feel at times she needs to give up the ball in transition to a guard. She is very heady, I noticed her moves to the basket where she draws contact intentionally to draw the foul. She really gets banged out there and looked a bit tired to me.

Mercedes- great game, she had an awesome first half, I just wish they went to her more in the second half. She had a sweet move in the first half, I was impressed with that part of her game.

Annie- great job penetrating to the basket, she came in and changed the tempo of the game.

Kortney- they need to give her some more PT, run plays for her when she’s in to break the zone.

In regards to all of our turnovers, I really wish Holly would get on the players a little more. I know it’s probably her personality. But I loved how Pat was in peoples grill for their mistakes and holding each player accountable. I think this MIGHT help with the players being smart with their passing and knowing when to pull it out if nothings there.

Looking forward to ND game!

Go Lady Vols! 🤟🏾🍊⛹️*♀️

Reactions: 3 people
Great game. Job well done to bounce back from the previous loss.

Mercedes- great game, she had an awesome first half, I just wish they went to her more in the second half. She had a sweet move in the first half, I was impressed with that part of her game.

Go Lady Vols! 🤟🏾🍊⛹️*♀️

I am glad you mentioned that. When she made that move, I did a double take-- did Candace Parker sneak on the floor?
I had no idea that Mercedes had that kind of ball fake, dribble move in her arsenal.

I am glad you mentioned that. When she made that move, I did a double take-- did Candace Parker sneak on the floor?
I had no idea that Mercedes had that kind of ball fake, dribble move in her arsenal.

Right? She definitely has improved from her freshmen year. I think she will be too 5 come draft time.

VN Store

Back