Favorite Live Bands

Gonna see Avatar at the end of the month. I hear they put on a great show. Hoping so.

They are awesome live. The drummer is very entertaining. I think they do a great job of having humor/fun and still being able to pull off some really heavy tunes.

The Grateful Dead
Bob Dylan
The Who
Prince
The Rolling Stones
Pink Floyd
Roger Waters
Echo & The Bunnymen
Neil Young
Bela Fleck & the Flecktones
John Prine
NRBQ
Tool
Jane's Addiction
Rage Against the Machine
Blues Traveller

My Dad has seen him like 5 times and said one was the best concert ever and another was the worst ever. Dylan has a reputation for phoning it in. Supposedly he recorded Tweeter and the Monkey Man in one take.

wmjNN8.gif

My Dad has seen him like 5 times and said one was the best concert ever and another was the worst ever. Dylan has a reputation for phoning it in. Supposedly he recorded Tweeter and the Monkey Man in one take.

Not a fan of Dylan shows now days. I've seen him a few times over the last 4 or 5 years and just don't care for it. Lacks energy, not a fan of many of the songs current arrangements, etc. First shows I saw long ago were interesting enough. The man is a legend. I'd recommend seeing him for that alone but I'll never pay to see just him again.

I've seen Kid Rock four times over the years. Always an A+ show.

wmjNN8.gif

Dylan is my favorite artist. I have seen him live quite a bit over the last 30+ years and can understand your Dad's sentiments. I used to halfway joke that a Dylan show I saw at Ole Miss in the early 90s was the worst show I have attended and I have seen Rick Springfield live.

Reactions: 1 person
Not a fan of Dylan shows now days. I've seen him a few times over the last 4 or 5 years and just don't care for it. Lacks energy, not a fan of many of the songs current arrangements, etc. First shows I saw long ago were interesting enough. The man is a legend. I'd recommend seeing him for that alone but I'll never pay to see just him again.

I can understand that. I still go multiple nights when he is out here and enjoy the shows. I like how he does his own thing and rearranges the songs, but I know plenty of people who are pissed after they see a show. However, I am not a fan of his Sinatra phase.

The shows he put on in the late 90's early 00's when he was still playing guitar were off the charts good.

Best ever: My Morning Jacket

Also mind blowing: Avett Bros, Black Keys, Portugal.The Man

Great time: Dawes, Dr. Dog, Delta Spirit, Sturgill Simpson

Slipknot... nothing but adrenaline thr whole show, you can just feel it... kiss, original 4, and back wgen paul could sing, now he just lip syncs half the show..

George Clinton and the parliament there’s nothing like it.
Red Hot Chili Peppers & the Library, 86-87?
Widespread Panic regulars on the strip in the early 90’s
Phish. Same
Webb Wilder. Always a good time and a good show.

went and saw the Revivalists a couple weeks ago in Charlotte...great show....they did an extended encore, and did 3-4 covers that i wasn't expecting...one of which was a tom petty tribute, which was great. but their cover of midnight rider....well..it was awesome.

This is all over the place over many years, but some of my most memorable shows (no particular order):

Tool
Rage
Metallica
Widespread Panic
OCMS
Phish
DMB (although my favorite was the first time I saw him at the small 328 Performance Hall in Nashville)
Punch Brothers
Barenaked Ladies
Ben Folds
Tori Amos
Lucero
Alice in Chains (sadly, post-Staley, but in the Ryman, unplugged)

Local favs:
V-Roys
Dirty Guv'nahs

Dylan is my favorite artist. I have seen him live quite a bit over the last 30+ years and can understand your Dad's sentiments. I used to halfway joke that a Dylan show I saw at Ole Miss in the early 90s was the worst show I have attended and I have seen Rick Springfield live.

I would've given anything to have been able to catch one of his shows back when Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers was his tour band! Tom Petty said in an interview years later that touring with Dylan absolutely made them a better band. He said every night Dylan was completely spontaneous and they never knew what he was going to play. Tom said it forced them to really be on their game each and every night. I respect the hell out of that.

Oh another I must add is Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention! Perhaps the finest display of musicianship I've ever witnessed on stage.

Last edited:
Mumford and sons are fantastic live.
Seen afi in Nashville with Thursday right after sing the sorrow was released, so it was mostly afi's older stuff. It was awesome.
Also, killswitch engage, walls of jericho, old Norma jean, and from autumn to ashes.

I would've given anything to have been able to catch one of his shows back when Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers was his tour band! Tom Petty said in an interview years later that touring with Dylan absolutely made them a better band. He said every night Dylan was completely spontaneous and they never knew what he was going to play. Tom said it forced them to really be on their game each and every night. I respect the hell out of that.

Oh another I must add is Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention! Perhaps the finest display of musicianship I've ever witnessed on stage.

Jealous, I never saw Zappa.

George Clinton and the parliament there’s nothing like it.
Red Hot Chili Peppers & the Library, 86-87?
Widespread Panic regulars on the strip in the early 90’s
Phish. Same
Webb Wilder. Always a good time and a good show.

Phish in Knoxville in the 90's was a fun time.

This is all over the place over many years, but some of my most memorable shows (no particular order):

Tool
Rage
Metallica
Widespread Panic
OCMS
Phish
DMB (although my favorite was the first time I saw him at the small 328 Performance Hall in Nashville)
Punch Brothers
Barenaked Ladies
Ben Folds
Tori Amos
Lucero

Local favs:
V-Roys
Dirty Guv'nahs

We have a lot of the same taste in music.

I saw Ozzy, Alice in Chains, and Sepultura together. Great show. I was a fan of Ozzy but Alice in Chains was what I went to see.

I saw Bon Jovi open for Ratt.

ACDC was a fun show.

18th birthday present was Bad Company, Lynard Skynard, and driving and crying in Bristol. Not original members but still good stuff.

Went to a Hootie concert in Knoxville and They might be Giants opened and that was a cool group.

Kenny in Neyland was a unique experience.

Garth in 96' Knoxville was good.

Tool
Rage
Metallica
Widespread Panic
OCMS
Phish
Punch Brothers
Barenaked Ladies
Ben Folds
Tori Amos
Lucero

Local favs:
V-Roys
Dirty Guv'nahs

Off of your list I wish I would have seen Ben Folds, DMB, Tool, and Metallica.

I saw Ozzy, Alice in Chains, and Sepultura together. Great show. I was a fan of Ozzy but Alice in Chains was what I went to see.

Civic Colosseum, right? I was there. Was that the show where Staley was in a cast, and didn't the old Sabbath members come out and join Ozzy at the end for a couple songs?

I was a scrawny 135 pounds at the time (1993?) and thought I was going to die when the lights dropped and Sepultura hit the stage. We were maybe twenty feet from the stage and everyone started going berserk. My buds still laugh about that moment.

Off of your list I wish I would have seen Ben Folds, DMB, Tool, and Metallica.

Tool was my 40th birthday present from my wife.

I've seen Dave so many times that it's hard to rank my favorite, aside from that super early show in Nashville. Maybe World's Fair Park c. 1995.

Ben Folds is incredibly talented and engages constantly with the crowd. The second half of the last show I saw consisted of us all throwing paper airplanes on the stage with requests and him playing them off the cuff. So fun.

Kings of Leon (amazing)
Lumineers
Band of Horses
Grouplove
Shinedown
Avett Brothers
KISS
Arctic Monkeys
Jack White

In no certain order

Yes - simply the best touring band back in the 70s
Rush
Phish
Pink Floyd
Pearl Jam
Umphrey's McGee
Bela Fleck's Bluegrass tours
Return to Forever
Talking Heads/David Byrne
Little Feat
Grateful Dead
Metallica
Dixie Dregs
Kansas late 70s-early 80s, early 90s
Genesis - before Hackett left

left some out...too many to remember.....

VN Store

Back