East Tennessee High School football memories and stories.

14VolFan88

Where did you play. What position?

I was a QB under the great Vic King at Kingston. King was one of the great under rated coaches ever. Won over 75% of the games he coached and always over achieved. For a while Kingston was a 2A enrollment school playing in 3A Region 2. Catholic, Fulton, AE, Anderson, Scott, Livingston, and Stone Memorial. That region was a constant blood bath.

I'd love to hear from some Maryville guys about what it was like under Quarles. What it's like to play at Farragut or Webb.

We used to scrimage every year at Webb. Usually it was Webb, Wartburg, Kingston, and Seymour. I still hate Webb because they stole coach Collier from us. It was a surreal moment watching him break the news to us. Players crying, he was crying. Crazy.

What's your best East Tennessee High School football story?

Played dt at Clinton, after spring practice coach Gaylor joined the Maryville staff. We went down hill from there. lol One time I had to do a stunt were I just pulled and ran to the outside of the end and he went inside and I popped the guy with the ball, and caused a fumble. I reached down to get it, but someone bumped into me and as I went down to pick it up and run ( which I was 20 yards away from their endzone with no one around. ) I ended up kicking the ball. lol It did manage to hit one of our linebackers right between the ground and his pads. haha

Played dt at Clinton, after spring practice coach Gaylor joined the Maryville staff. We went down hill from there. lol One time I had to do a stunt were I just pulled and ran to the outside of the end and he went inside and I popped the guy with the ball, and caused a fumble. I reached down to get it, but someone bumped into me and as I went down to pick it up and run ( which I was 20 yards away from their endzone with no one around. ) I ended up kicking the ball. lol It did manage to hit one of our linebackers right between the ground and his pads. haha

I always thought Clinton had guys get recruited away from them. They always had a great middle school team, then you would play the freshman team the next year they weren't so good. A curious case.

AC right here.. WR/TE, OLB/DE.

AC right here.. WR/TE, OLB/DE.

AC was a sour spot for the senior class my sophomore year. AC beat our seniors in the middle school championship, then beat that class in division play to give us our first loss in OT. 3A Region 2 was the best region in the state by far, and Kinston and AC games prove it. My junior year we went to 3 ot's. Just huge battles. Shout out to all AC Fballers. Much respect.

Last edited:
Reactions: ACvol3
Go ahead on, my Devil brotha!

Beer, beer for Ole Greeneville High (even if maybe we did borrow it from Notre Dame)

Another Devil here from GHS although didn't play either.

Our fan base is pretty legit. Before our class year got there, there was virtually no tailgating and now it's good to see the tradition and excitement continues.

Coach Ballard has done a tremendous job. It is not that we are some talent-rich area, it is just so intense and requires total dedication. That is why we were always pretty mediocre until he got there and changed the culture. I had him as a teacher but believe he was just an assistant at the time.

In my day, our rivals were mostly Morristown West, Elizabethton (Betsy) and I suppose Dobbins-Bennett (DB), although they usually beat us.

I don't remember when the cowbells got popular. I don't see to recall them much in the early 2000s/late 1990s, but could be wrong. Anyone with any insight?

I played 81-85 at Meigs County High School. WR / DB. My senior year I was WR / DB, punter, kick returner and punt returner. I sure wish I was in shape like I was back then ;-)

I played 81-85 at Meigs County High School. WR / DB. My senior year I was WR / DB, punter, kick returner and punt returner. I sure wish I was in shape like I was back then ;-)

This may have been a little after your time but any insight on a female kicker from notre dame beating meigs co. on a last second field goal?

I am not trying to rub in a loss but curious if you know about the game.

This may have been a little after your time but any insight on a female kicker from notre dame beating meigs co. on a last second field goal?

It was definitely after my time but I do recall hearing about that.

Greenback here. Played Center on our first State Championship team (1987). One of the best years of my life.

Back then our main rivals were:

Vonore - I don't think they beat us my entire high school career, but man could they talk a good game. Now there is no Vonore High. They merged into Sequoyah.

Oneida - Probably our second toughest game that year. Them were some big tough sumb*tches. (Gordonsville in the playoffs was the toughest. They were mean and nasty and dirty...)

Midway - Seems like it was always us battling Midway for the District title in every sport.

I went to Jefferson County for three years. Before that I was in Dayton NV, and we didn’t play much football in Nevada. It also didn’t help I graduated 5’9” and a 140. But I went to every game with the band. The most fun was JeffCo playing Ooltewah in a monsoon. The worst was going to the Tri-Cities to get pummeled by DB

Reactions: KSBleedingUTOrange
Played at BA 86-89. Alcoa and Austin East were fun to watch and play! Leroy Thompson, Von Reeves and AE beat us in 86. We win in 87. We beat Alcoa in 88 and Billy Williams and Alcoa win in 89. Good teams! Flatt was the man!

I didn't play FB but I was at every game at Sullivan East HS 94-97 with the band. Sr year we had only the 3rd winning record in school history. Guess they went to state a few years later. Jason Witten and Elizabethton always pummeled us once I left though.

Reactions: feathersax

VN Store

Back