Tennessee to face Will Grier a second time

Josh Dobbs was an animal that game. Such a shame we lost. He lead the team in passing, rushing, and receiving that game. I don’t think I’ve ever seen a QB run the ball with that kind of intensity. He was bulldozing Florida players.
Remember the catch JJ made over the florida LB? epic

Methinks it would be rare for Grier to have a WVA squad protecting him as what he had at UF. I suspect the UT D will make his life miserable.

Reactions: 1 person
Curious, but what makes you think our D will be good in JPs first year?

It’s just one mans opinion here but a reenergized mind set under a new staff is one reason, that and our first game win % is very high. I think if they blitz Grier often on second down keeping them in 3rd and long situations, they can handle Grier and WV provided they tackle well on 3rd down.

The Vols actually shut down Grier. He was a non-factor in that game.

I see that he decided not to declare for the NFL. My first question was: did he have a choice? I saw a few games this year he played and there's nothing that stuck out about him at all. Looked like a typical Big12 offense playing against ghost defenses. Any time the defense had a pulse they really struggled to move the ball at all. Then again, Nathan Peterman is playing in the NFL.

A good defense can slow down WVU. Texas held them to 14. TU's defense was improved this year, but I expect UT's to be better next year under CJP. Main problem is that it's first game and there may be freshmen in the secondary.

Greetings Vols! I realize I'm a guest here so I'll keep it civil. That said, there are a few points in this thread that need some context.

I'm not saying a good defense can't slow us down but to state it as a categorical truth belies the facts.

Virginia Tech finished this year ranked #22 and had the #5 Scoring Defense in the country allowing just 13.5 ppg. We put up 24 on them and had a TD pass dropped in the end zone with seconds to go in the game. This was also a season opening game at a neutral site and was Grier's first game in a year and a half.

TCU finished this year ranked #13 and had the #12 Scoring Defense in the country allowing just 17.6 ppg. We also put up 24 on them. Unfortunately we lost both games by 7.

While TX did hold us to 14 pts, the fact that our starting QB only had 9 1/2 fingers after half way through the first quarter had some bearing on that. Our 2nd string QB is a gutsy kid but Grier is on an entirely different level in both talent and experience.

I was at the WVU-Texas game this year when Grier got hurt, husband is a Longhorn grad. Coming off the field you could see his finger bent back. WVU is losing a lot of starters as seniors, Crawford, the running back is gone. A good defense can get the 'neers, but Grier was impressive.

I've already addressed the defense thought.

I'm not sure where you got the idea that we're losing a lot but it's not correct, not at all. I shamelessly lifted most of what follows from our site owner. You can get the full article here if you're interested. https://247sports.com/college/west-virginia/Bolt/Projecting-the-2018-Two-Deep-Offense-112286986
Class years are for next year.

QB
1. Will Grier, r-Sr.
2. Chris Chugunov, r-Jr.

Chug was the #2 QB last year and took over when Grier got hurt.

RUNNING BACK
1. Kennedy McKoy, Jr.
2. Martell Pettaway, Jr.

We were DEEP at RB last year. Yes we lost Crawford, but scouts were unanimous over the last two seasons in that McKoy was a better overall running back. He graded out over 20 points higher than Crawford in both years. McKoy has rushed for over 1,000 yards and 11 touchdowns on fewer than 200 carries in his first two years.

WIDE RECEIVER
1. David Sills, Sr.
2. Gary Jennings, Sr.
3. Marcus Simms, Jr.
4. TJ Simmons, r-So.
5. Reggie Roberson, So.
6. Dominique Maiden, Sr.

No doubt about the top two guys here. Jennings is already over 1,000 yards receiving, while Sills is just twenty yards short with the bowl game still to come - and Sills was a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award, given to the nation's top receiver. That was in large part due to his nation-leading 18 receiving touchdowns. After a one-game suspension, Simms showed out as an elite option. He had a couple tough drops, but his big-play ability is undeniable. His 19.7 yards per catch was tops on the team and third in the Big12 among wideouts with at least 30 receptions.

TIGHT END/HALFBACK
1. Jovani Haskins, r-So.
2. Trevon Wesco, r-Sr.

OFFENSIVE LINE
LT - Yodny Cajuste r-Sr.... Kelby Wickline r-Jr
LG - Josh Sills r-So........... Isaiah Hardy Sr
C - Matt Jones r-Jr...........Ray Raulerson r-Sr
RG - Jacob Buccigrossi r-So.... Isaiah Hardy Sr
RT - Colton McKivitz r-Jr..... Tyler Thurmond So

Four of five starters are back from last year, including the two tackles who graded out as two of the seven best linemen in the entire Big12.

DEFENSIVE LINE
DE - Ezekiel Rose Sr.... Adam Shuler r-Jr
DT - Lamonte McDougle So.... Darius Stills So
DE - Reese Donahue Jr.... Dante Stills Fr

Four of the top five defensive linemen are back from last year, including all three starters at the end of the season. McDougle was selected to the True Freshman All-American Team.

LINEBACKER
WILL - Charlie Benton.... Adam Hensley Jr
MIKE - David Long r-Jr.... Brendan Ferns rSo
SAM - Dylan Tonkery r-So.... Zach Sandwisch r-So

SAFETY
FREE - Kenny Robinson So.... Josh Norwood
BANDIT - Dravon Askew-Henry.... Derrek Pitts So
SPUR - Toyous Avery.... Eugene Brown/Kwantel Raines

The starters to begin next year will include three guys who started multiple games last season. When Avery went down with an injury, the staff slid Askew-Henry over to Bandit, and moved Robinson into his free safety spot. The move was pretty flawless on its surface, and Avery would make a pretty good SPUR. Pitts and Jovanni Stewart have seen time as backups.

Grier is a stud. Seems like a decent guy from what I've seen personally and heard from others. Married with a kid now. Everyone up here loves him. I'm nervous about this being our opening game. The Grier to SillsV connection will be tough to stop.

Any other Vol fans in northern WV? I know I've seen some around town. Apparently there is a house in town with a huge Power T flag on the front porch.

Moved up in neighborhoods! :)

Of the 36 WVU TDs thrown, Sills caught 18. They're definitely on the same page.

Methinks it would be rare for Grier to have a WVA squad protecting him as what he had at UF. I suspect the UT D will make his life miserable.

Sacks are only one metric but WVU ranked tied for 26th in sacks allowed with 1.42 per game and we return 4 of 5 OL.

That said the SEC does recruit some behemoth linemen.

The Vols actually shut down Grier. He was a non-factor in that game.

I see that he decided not to declare for the NFL. My first question was: did he have a choice? I saw a few games this year he played and there's nothing that stuck out about him at all. Looked like a typical Big12 offense playing against ghost defenses. Any time the defense had a pulse they really struggled to move the ball at all. Then again, Nathan Peterman is playing in the NFL.

See post #40 below.

Greetings Vols! I realize I'm a guest here so I'll keep it civil. That said, there are a few points in this thread that need some context.

I'm not saying a good defense can't slow us down but to state it as a categorical truth belies the facts.

Virginia Tech finished this year ranked #22 and had the #5 Scoring Defense in the country allowing just 13.5 ppg. We put up 24 on them and had a TD pass dropped in the end zone with seconds to go in the game. This was also a season opening game at a neutral site and was Grier's first game in a year and a half.

TCU finished this year ranked #13 and had the #12 Scoring Defense in the country allowing just 17.6 ppg. We also put up 24 on them. Unfortunately we lost both games by 7.

While TX did hold us to 14 pts, the fact that our starting QB only had 9 1/2 fingers after half way through the first quarter had some bearing on that. Our 2nd string QB is a gutsy kid but Grier is on an entirely different level in both talent and experience.
Don't confuse the troops with facts and logic.:)

Mountaineerlegion, just seemed like a lot of seniors on senior day. I think if grier had not gotten hurt, the outcome may have been different that day.

Mountaineerlegion, just seemed like a lot of seniors on senior day. I think if grier had not gotten hurt, the outcome may have been different that day.

May have been a lot of non starters. I think it would have turned out differently...of course I'm not biased at all.

Edit: Small world VolGirl. I know a little bit about Fredericksburg. It's been home since 1979. Normally we keep the riffraff out, you been keeping your Tenn leanings on the down low? :p

Last edited:
Latest news out today. Our 6'4" receiver, David Sills, who lead the nation in TD receptions announced he will return for his senior year. He was on the receiving end of 18 of Grier's 36 TDs.

If you're so inclined and willing to invest 3:26 you can see all 18 in this clip. Even if you don't want to watch the whole clip you should watch the last catch. It was reviewed and is insane.

David Sills Nation Leading 18 Touchdown Catches - WVU Football - YouTube

If you are one of those who thinks there's nothing about Grier that stands out or are just a football junkie here is Grier's highlight tape. There are 11 DEEP ball TDs and several others that are just shy of being deep balls that show his talent and skill.

Will Grier 2017-2018 Highlights - YouTube

Incidentally, if you know of a clip that summarizes what your team is all about I'd like to take a look.

Edit: Links Fixed

Last edited:
Different steroids. They are the anti inflammatory kind not the muscle building kind. I think the reason the Gators all had the flu is because they are Pu$#$%.

Love me some corticosteroids! (I have asthma.) They make you perky as hell, and on day 3 of a taper, who needs sleep?

VN Store

Back