Pruitt not scared to give offers to recruits that is already committed to other place

Why the hell would he be? What they gonna do, fire him!
Some of you on here need to wake up, He IS the UT VOLS coach now

Because it had been posted by others that he is in a hard spot by continuing to coach one team but recruit for another. This is a much bigger issue with the early signing period

Pruitt is basically starting the recruiting from scratch. He has to throw out lots of offers to have a reasonably full class. Jones went after plenty of previously committed players. Richmond changed the day before NSD. Folks getting excited about offering 3 &4* guys from Cali or Juco guys, that they know nothing about except what they now see, is giving them excitement but nothing different than other coaches would do in this situation. I think Jones was a failure at coaching but don't act like he didn't try to recruit the best available.

It costs him nothing to put an offer on the table. Especially if he gets a positive response of interest.

Butch was good at selling the program. He was not excellent at player development. He was bad at press conferences and making strategic decisions on the sideline while under pressure.

Hope this helps clarify the things we can blame on Butch.

I see we have two Franks on vn now..

And this is unusual? How the hell do you explain Frost nabbing Martinez? Commitment means nothing in recruiting. Might as well call it a tentative reservation.

i think the thing that stands out is how many of these prospects that were never offered by us.

when you look at the offers we've sent out this week, and the type of players some of these are...it almost feels like we had a "we're not good enough for that player" or "we got no shot, so focus attention elsewhere" mentality.

Pruitt is going after top tier talent. no matter who we're competing against, or if they're committed elsewhere.

very much a mentality of "you don't know, til you ask" and he's actually got more than a couple of kids that are committed elsewhere, coming to Knoxville on OV's.

no big commitments or anything yet, but i think it's safe to say he really meant it....we're going to mix it up with any program to try and get the best talent.

I don't think its that we are not good enough, I think that is a product of the type of players BJ recruited for his pillow fighting offense and defense being very different than what CJP is looking for to fit his street brawling offense and defense. Most of the kids we had committed do not fit CJP's system for the type of players he wants to put on the field, hence the reason for so many de-committing as well as the number of JUCO offers he is making

Reactions: 1 person
Because it had been posted by others that he is in a hard spot by continuing to coach one team but recruit for another. This is a much bigger issue with the early signing period

He's doing a jam-up job under those circumstances IMO.

You guys should give the "Butch Jones was a terrible recruiter" schtick a rest. He could and did, period. He failed for other reasons here. CJP has landed precisely one recommit so far.

But if it helps you compartmentalize your feelings into nice little clean black and white boxes, then carry on.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think its that we are not good enough, I think that is a product of the type of players BJ recruited for his pillow fighting offense and defense being very different than what CJP is looking for to fit his street brawling offense and defense. Most of the kids we had committed do not fit CJP's system for the type of players he wants to put on the field, hence the reason for so many de-committing as well as the number of JUCO offers he is making

i'll buy that. especially on offense....more specifically O linemen.

but if that really were the case, then there really wasn't a place for a back like Hurd in this offense....and he shouldn't have recruited him.

i do, still, think there was an element of "get the low hanging fruit".

Butch was good at selling the program. He was not excellent at player development. He was bad at press conferences and making strategic decisions on the sideline while under pressure.

but was extremely resilient

Butch was good at selling the program. He was not excellent (terrible), at player development. He was bad at press conferences and making strategic decisions on the sideline while under pressure.

I corrected your post for you. You're welcome. :)

VN Store

Back