Jeremy Pruitt “Eat Crow” Thread

Still pining for Butch I see.

No, if your reading comprehension was any good you would know I'm not supporting a coach just because of the orange tie at the podium after doing so the last 3 hires.

You may need to put your reading glasses on you old fart.

He *might* be a great coach. But he isn't the explosive hire that we were promised. I'm still upset about the whole coaching search. All is not suddenly right. Pruitt is definitely better than some of the alternatives, but I was holding out hope that we would still land a proven, high-quality coach. I think that it's okay to be disappointed.

I believe that our fanbase would have been disappointed with Pruitt if he was hired (or almost hired) initially (instead of Schiano). Many of us readjusted our expectations when big names continued to fall off of the board. To an extent, I readjusted expectations of who the coach would be. But I did not readjust my expectations of the university. Our administration failed spectacularly... and this hire doesn't make things right. I'm still upset. I still feel like UT settled (compared to the promise). And I feel like our administration set us up for failure.

Having said all of that... I am hopeful that Pruitt will be successful. He is certainly saying the right things... and I am happier now than I was when his name was first floated. He might be great; I really hope so.

Currie did deliver on the explosive part ... just not in the way he intended, but he did certainly stir up the fanbase - nothing apathetic about it.

He *might* be a great coach. But he isn't the explosive hire that we were promised. I'm still upset about the whole coaching search. All is not suddenly right. Pruitt is definitely better than some of the alternatives, but I was holding out hope that we would still land a proven, high-quality coach. I think that it's okay to be disappointed.

I believe that our fanbase would have been disappointed with Pruitt if he was hired (or almost hired) initially (instead of Schiano). Many of us readjusted our expectations when big names continued to fall off of the board. To an extent, I readjusted expectations of who the coach would be. But I did not readjust my expectations of the university. Our administration failed spectacularly... and this hire doesn't make things right. I'm still upset. I still feel like UT settled (compared to the promise). And I feel like our administration set us up for failure.

Having said all of that... I am hopeful that Pruitt will be successful. He is certainly saying the right things... and I am happier now than I was when his name was first floated. He might be great; I really hope so.

ALL of this

Reactions: 3 people
I see a lot of fans that just can't hardly wait till next season already...it should be real interesting...:)

GO VOLS!

I’d like a serving of Crow to go please with an extra side of “I was wrong.”

I’d like to apologize for having an negative outlook when Jeremy Pruitt was officially announced.

There was a handful of coaching candidates that I would have loved to see in Knoxville.

Obviously Fulmer hired a guy that he thinks is the best interest for UT Football.

After listening to Pruitt’s press conference, seeing the elite staff he’s already assembled, and building relationships with high school kids in a short period of time, is very impressive.

Pruitt sounds & acts like an actual football coach without all the annoying cliches and constant BS.

I honestly feel like this Hire is different compared to the last two previous hires. When you’ve been down for so long having gone through Butch & Dooley, you’re going to be somewhat cautious about who the Administration is going to hire next.

Pruitt wasn’t my first choice but I’m feeling more optimistic and confident heading into next season.

I think me & every other poster who disagreed with the Pruitt hire, should take a step back and actually appreciate what he’s trying to build here.

He may or may not work out in the future, nobody knows for sure. But he deserves our support and a chance to see what he can do with this football team.

If you’re feeling guilty and need to admit you was wrong about this hire, this is the thread for you.

Go Vols!

Excellent post! Thank you for this.

i was a grudenite ... full bore.
never again. no hard feelings, but never again.

that said, just because i hoped he'd be our next coach, does not mean i am not rational towards the actual hire.

i think he's probably the best x's and o's guy since kiffin.
the best recruiter since fulmer.

the staff he's assembling is impressive.
if some juco's come in and pan out and strength and conditioning improves the injury front, business could pick up first season.

giving him the benefit of the doubt just like did dooley and butch. he's our coach and deserves that much.
:hi:

Very well said. I don't understand why so many people are ready to condemn Pruitt as a failure when he's not had a sniff of a chance to prove himself? He's put together a really good staff so far, he knows what a winning team should look like, as does Fulmer, and the former players are on board and excited about coach Pruitt. That's good enough for me. Georgia was willing to take a chance on a coordinator when they had much more to lose at the time than we do now. When Kirby was hired at Georgia, there was still a chance the players wouldn't buy in and they could have bottomed out, but instead, they rebounded strong in the second year. I know Smart had a better roster than we did, but that's why I said they had more to lose. We are already about as low as it can get. But I do think it's important for Tennessee to have a 7-5 type season or better next year, if we are to gain momentum and make a rebound like Smart and Georgia did. There will always be big questions around hiring first time coaches, but that doesn't mean all is lost. Guys like Fulmer and Swinney weren't born coaches, but they knew the game to the extent that they could win at a high level. Some will argue that Fulmer couldn't win at a high level consistently, but in relation to where we are now, you'd have to be in idiot to say that he doesn't deserve to be mentioned as one of the Greats. I believe that Jeremy Pruitt is cut from that same cloth.

Reactions: 1 person
Just why would anyone need to be eating crow at this point?
Not saying it will never happen but as of right now, he's done nothing to warrant a feast of crow.

Reactions: 3 people

I’d like to apologize for having an negative outlook when Jeremy Pruitt was officially announced.

There was a handful of coaching candidates that I would have loved to see in Knoxville.

Obviously Fulmer hired a guy that he thinks is the best interest for UT Football.

After listening to Pruitt’s press conference, seeing the elite staff he’s already assembled, and building relationships with high school kids in a short period of time, is very impressive.

Pruitt sounds & acts like an actual football coach without all the annoying cliches and constant BS.

I honestly feel like this Hire is different compared to the last two previous hires. When you’ve been down for so long having gone through Butch & Dooley, you’re going to be somewhat cautious about who the Administration is going to hire next.

Pruitt wasn’t my first choice but I’m feeling more optimistic and confident heading into next season.

I think me & every other poster who disagreed with the Pruitt hire, should take a step back and actually appreciate what he’s trying to build here.

He may or may not work out in the future, nobody knows for sure. But he deserves our support and a chance to see what he can do with this football team.

If you’re feeling guilty and need to admit you was wrong about this hire, this is the thread for you.

Go Vols!

I think I'll stand firm. Dude hasn't even coached a game yet. If he bests Florida, I'll be on board.

Very well said. I don't understand why so many people are ready to condemn Pruitt as a failure when he's not had a sniff of a chance to prove himself? He's put together a really good staff so far, he knows what a winning team should look like, as does Fulmer, and the former players are on board and excited about coach Pruitt. That's good enough for me. Georgia was willing to take a chance on a coordinator when they had much more to lose at the time than we do now. When Kirby was hired at Georgia, there was still a chance the players wouldn't buy in and they could have bottomed out, but instead, they rebounded strong in the second year. I know Smart had a better roster than we did, but that's why I said they had more to lose. We are already about as low as it can get. But I do think it's important for Tennessee to have a 7-5 type season or better next year, if we are to gain momentum and make a rebound like Smart and Georgia did. There will always be big questions around hiring first time coaches, but that doesn't mean all is lost. Guys like Fulmer and Swinney weren't born coaches, but they knew the game to the extent that they could win at a high level. Some will argue that Fulmer couldn't win at a high level consistently, but in relation to where we are now, you'd have to be in idiot to say that he doesn't deserve to be mentioned as one of the Greats. I believe that Jeremy Pruitt is cut from that same cloth.

Tennessee football has had a bit of experience with first time coaches - mostly positive; names like Neyland, Dickey, and Fulmer come to mind. Battle not so much; but with that kind of history, we'd be fools not to keep an open mind. The coaches proven elsewhere (or maybe not) haven't done nearly as well.

Go Vols!

We are all Vols! Welcome back to the pain train!

If things go the way we want them to, crows will find TN a terrifying place to call home. Right now, no one can claim success or failure for his performance, because he hasn't had one. What happens while he remains an employee of Ala. is theirs to brag about, not ours.

VN Store

Back