Neyland-Fulmer Stadium

Please leave Neyland alone. Fulmer has a street named for him, that's enough. Name the cafeteria fulmers feedin frenzy, if that will satisfy the fulmerites.

Reactions: 1 person
Give Fulmer's name to the Body Farm. He killed our program and and buried it. Of course this could only happen with Dr. Bass' permission. On second thought, Phil's name doesn't even deserve to hang over there. Maybe the pathology department can name a disease after him...one that causes a slow death to occur.
Phil's not on your Christmas list is he?

From wiki: "Neyland Stadium at UT is not only named for The General, but was designed by him. His plans formed the basis for all expansions that brought the stadium to its modern size with an over 100,000 seat capacity. Neyland was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame as a coach in 1956."

Also, : Neyland was appointed to West Point by Congressman Sam Rayburn, graduating in 1916. One of the greatest athletes of his day, he was a star football lineman, baseball pitcher, and national collegiate boxing champion. He was commissioned as an officer in the Corps of Engineers and served in France during World War I. After the war he served as an aide to Douglas MacArthur, who was then superintendent at West Point, and became an assistant football coach for the Black Knights of the Hudson."

After that ". He was recalled to military service again in 1941. In World War II Neyland served in the China-Burma-India Theater, supervising the transportation of material through monsoons and across the Himalayas to the troops commanded by General "Vinegar" Joe Stillwell. During his military career he was awarded the Distinguished Service Medal and the Legion of Merit and made a member of the Order of the British Empire.
He retired from military service a second time, in 1946, with the rank of brigadier general, and again returned to the Vols as coach through 1952."

I didnt even mention his shutouts and NCs. So **** no. Dont mention his name with others, it is insulting. Appreciate that CPF did a lot for UT football, Neyland did more, and much more for this COUNTRY!

Reactions: 5 people
1180551907844.jpg

Here ya go
Quoted because I really miss the Faildozer and it's so appropriate here.

Reactions: 3 people
Why is there a chunck of our fanbase that hates Fulmer? I don’t get it. And no I’m not saying you hate if you don’t want his name on the stadium. The stadium should and will most likely always remain just simply “Neyland Stadium”

Reactions: 2 people
I have been ready for a change. However like most UT fans the news conference made me feel awful at least until the Wyoming game.

I think the fans and University should honor Fulmer for what he has done for UT football. What do you think?

I think it is time to give the Hugo Drax plan a try and you can blow that out your ass.

Last edited:
Fulmer has a street named after him in front of the stadium, and thats more than most. I don't see a Majors, Battle, Dickey or Joe Johnson anywhere, shouldnt they be given respect to? Fulmer was fired, you don't fire someone and then name the stadium after him.

This.

I have nothing but love for CFP. Neyland is one of the greatest to ever coach the game. He is on the mount rushmore of coaches. CFP was a great coach but not even close to inside the top 4 all time.

I have been ready for a change. However like most UT fans the news conference made me feel awful at least until the Wyoming game.

I think the fans and University should honor Fulmer for what he has done for UT football. What do you think?

While I am a fan of Johnny Majors and Phil Fulmer, no. The stadium doesn't need to be renamed.

At some point, would maybe having a statue of Dickey and Fulmer be appropriate? Sure, they both won us championships.

But not rename the stadium.

Why is there a chunck of our fanbase that hates Fulmer? I don’t get it. And no I’m not saying you hate if you don’t want his name on the stadium. The stadium should and will most likely always remain just simply “Neyland Stadium”

A chunk may not remember the glory days of Vol football in the 90's. Probably kids on here making comments like that. Maybe 13 or 14 yrs old. Just excuse them.

First of all, if anyone has ever played a sport at a high level, you would understand the mind set that goes into it. I assure you, no player of coach nor the silent majority of fans cared one little bit about playing Wyoming. If you think their mind or preparation was into Wyoming you are nuts. No one cared. It's not like the other 152 wins where they actually had their head into it.

Fulmer is a Hall of Fame football coach. He has brought the only legit National Title to this school in 122 seasons. He will have more NFL Hall of Famers then the school had in the entire history before him. The street the stadium is on has his name. The thing that is left is to have a statue place at the stadium where that guy from another era already sits. Then it will all be a complete full circle.

8 Coaches in the modern era have won multiple National Titles. Not that it is always a fair deck, but those 8 are ahead of Philip in history. He is probably a Top 20 coach in history. If you take the history of a school in mind, etc., it might be a little higher. Tennessee is a notch below the Ohio State's, Michigan's, Alabama's, Florida's, Miami's, Texas's, USC's, Oklahoma's and Nebraska's just to name a few. Several coaches at those schools have won big. Next level is the Tennessee's, Georgia's, Auburn's, UCLA's, Penn State's, Clemson's and schools like that.

There are about 40 college football programs today that break even or make a profit. Here are just what 15 of them? Even if you take the top 65 of the Power 5 conferences, not all of those schools make money in football. College football is very much a regional sport. It appeals to the Southeast and few pockets elsewhere.

Most schools erect statues of their National Championships coaches. Tennessee has one for that guy that won in 1951. Oh yea, he played no team in the final Top 25 and won the title. Then they played the only team ranked at the end in the Bowl and lost to #3 Maryland 28-13. They played Duke ranked #16 at the time and Kentucky ranked #9 at the time. (Correction: Kentucky finished ranked #15 and the only team on Tennessee's schedule ranked at the end of the year). They would have been laughed at in the modern era. They did play Chattanooga, Tennessee Tech, Washington and Lee and North Carolina. That team would have been lucky to make a Citrus Bowl.

8 Coaches in the modern era have won multiple National Titles. Not that it is always a fair deck, but those 8 are ahead of Philip in history. He is probably a Top 20 coach in history. If you take the history of a school in mind, etc., it might be a little higher. Tennessee is a notch below the Ohio State's, Michigan's, Alabama's, Florida's, Miami's, Texas's, USC's, Oklahoma's and Nebraska's just to name a few. Several coaches at those schools have won big. Next level is the Tennessee's, Georgia's, Auburn's, UCLA's, Penn State's, Clemson's and schools like that.

There are about 40 college football programs today that break even or make a profit. Here are just what 15 of them? Even if you take the top 65 of the Power 5 conferences, not all of those schools make money in football. College football is very much a regional sport. It appeals to the Southeast and few pockets elsewhere.

Most schools erect statues of their National Championships coaches. Tennessee has one for that guy that won in 1951. Oh yea, he played no team in the final Top 25 and won the title. Then they played the only team ranked at the end in the Bowl and lost to #3 Maryland 28-13. They played Duke ranked #16 at the time and Kentucky ranked #9 at the time. (Correction: Kentucky finished ranked #15 and the only team on Tennessee's schedule ranked at the end of the year). They would have been laughed at in the modern era. They did play Chattanooga, Tennessee Tech, Washington and Lee and North Carolina. That team would have been lucky to make a Citrus Bowl.
You lost me at “Florida’s.” Maybe FSU, but not the Gators. You surely didn’t mean to include the Gators as elite historical programs. Everything else in your post is bunk until this is clarified. Sorry.

Reactions: 3 people
Please leave Neyland alone. Fulmer has a street named for him, that's enough. Name the cafeteria fulmers feedin frenzy, if that will satisfy the fulmerites.

Agree...Neyland and Fulmer shouldn’t be said in the same sentence imho

Last edited:

VN Store

Back