Rock Gullickson will not be part JP coaching staff per Austin price

I'm still trying to figure out how all these people were pretty dang good at their jobs prior to coming to UT, but failed big time when they were hired. Shoop, Rock, etc.

Butch...you have to really suck to make everybody around you bad.

All you guys hammerin' on Rock need to slow down--a S & C coach isn't going to create miracles in a year. It takes several years to get the work in place.

Reactions: 6 people
It's probably not that Pruitt thinks poorly of Rock. S&C takes time to show an effect. Pruitt probably already had a couple guys in mind.

Reactions: 5 people
I feel really sad about all the good to great coaches who came here to work with Butch and either had or almost had their careers destroyed as a result. Here's hoping Rock finds a good landing spot.

Reactions: 6 people
It is clear that Shoop benefitted greatly from his staff under Franklin. There defense hasn't missed a beat since he left and may have actually gotten better.

Agree. I thought it was the other way around, that Shoop was in large part the secret to Snakehead’s success and that he’d struggle without Shoop. I was 100% wrong. Now I know how D4H feels everyday on VN.

He's "going in another direction."
I would guess somewhere between NNE and SSW.
But my compass is upside down.

Last edited:
A lot of players and coaches came and went over the last 5 years. However the one constant was this guy...

Butch-Jones-TylerLecka-GettyImages-619131614_xvvbht.jpg
Bingo

I'm going to say that yes it is...no offense to Rock, he seems like a great guy and a good S&C coach.

Just doesn't seem to mold guys into the image that CJP is after. Rock seems to be more leaned toward the faster, more agile conditioning. Whereas it looks like Pruitt is wanting the bigger, stand up and nail you in the mouth type player.

Hopefully he can get his guy and that guy sticks around for more than a season or two...that has been a problem in the past.
With Rock you left out the brittle part........our kids seemed to be made of clay this past few years.

Maybe the Rock didn't have enough time to make an impact. How much does 3/4 a season mean to a team?...especially if they were well behind bell curve from the previous S&C coach.

Shoop must have had better personnel working for him at Vandy/PSU...Plus the injuries...I still think he is a great DC but something held him back here like aforementioned injuries and rumored clashes with assistant coaches. If he balls out at MissState, then we can blame it on Butch/personnel.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok. We were a soft team. No denying that. A team that faltered at the end in games...constantly dealing with devastating injuries. I'd hope to he!! we weren't gonna keep the same S and C coach.

Also, I always thought the dumbest thing in the world was Butch having his team sprint to other side of the field to begin the 4th quarter. Yeah. Makes sense. Expend what little energy you have left to finish the game on pointlessly sprinting for no reason.

Admittedly...I don't know if he had em do that this year or not...but it was dumb as heck.

As much as I didn't like Butch as our coach this past year...I think it's a shame that he leaves with such a bad legacy. Imo he DID give his all for this university..and it's just unfortunate he leaves with such a horrible rep of failure. I remember the video where someone from a dorm was playing "Sweet Home Alabama" and he got all mad and demanded they turn it off. It was stuff like that that endeared me a bit to him. Leading the band in Rocky Top after a big win...stuff like that. On the other hand i'm resentful of him choking away 3 of the 4 Florida games...and the Oklahoma game...the Bama game 3 years ago etc etc.

He did do some good things..but it coulda been sooooo much better. He just wasn't good enough.

Reactions: 3 people
All you guys hammerin' on Rock need to slow down--a S & C coach isn't going to create miracles in a year. It takes several years to get the work in place.

Have you ever seen a guy work his ass off in the gymn for a year? I have , the results can be dramatic.

F this it take 7 years to build a program brick by brick mentality

Reactions: 4 people
I'm still trying to figure out how all these people were pretty dang good at their jobs prior to coming to UT, but failed big time when they were hired. Shoop, Rock, etc.

Well Rock was only here a year. It takes a couple of years (at least) for a S&C program to take hold.

As far as Shoop, I think he was hamstrung from the very beginning by injuries and not being able to have control over his coaching staff. He played a lot of 4-2-5, which I don't think he wanted to do, but he thought he had to do it based on injuries and the personnel he had.

I think Shoop is a good DC, but you can't deny that Vandy and Penn St certainly don't seem to miss him.

As far as everyone else on the staff, I wouldn't say they were "pretty dang good" at their previous stops. There was something else to be desired from an offensive staff populated with names like Scott, Canales, Wells, etc.

A lot of players and coaches came and went over the last 5 years. However the one constant was this guy...

Butch-Jones-TylerLecka-GettyImages-619131614_xvvbht.jpg

In hind sight, it’s painfully obvious now that a coach who buttons up his polo shirts and refers to his players as “this individual” is going to fail.

Tear down the juice bar and start over.

I think that good nutrition is one of the keys to on-field performance. Bigger and better players, however, are most important. Put the two together with his coaching staff and it should be smooth sailing.

More of Bj's attempt to fundamentally change UT football. Unfortunately BJ didn't know much about either the character of UT football or his own understanding of how football is really played (at least outside his backyard).

Butch never built depth. We always had freshman starting that could have used a red shirt to bulk up. The starters also played the whole game every game because we couldn't put a team away early (hard to do when you are losing), which is more snaps to have the chance to get hurt. something that stood out to me was when someone got hurt and the next guy came in and played well. Why wasn't he on the field some to begin with so the starters wouldn't be worn out in the 4th.

Reactions: 3 people

VN Store

Back