Pete Thamel: biggest losers = Tennessee

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
LOSER: TENNESSEE
In the end, Tennessee ended up with an inferior coach, an overmatched athletic director and setting a new standard for a disastrous coaching search. The hires that former athletic director John Currie was on the cusp of making – Greg Schiano and Mike Leach – are exponentially more accomplished and better qualified for the Tennessee job. But Phil Fulmer’s power play ended up with him in control as athletic director and Alabama defensive coordinator Jeremy Pruitt as coach. Pruitt is just inexperienced enough that Fulmer will be able to keep sticking his nose in the program, which is what he’s wanted since he was run out of the job nearly a decade ago. (The classic clueless Fulmer moment was treating the press conference to dismiss Currie like he’d just been hired as coach again, as his tone – including introducing his family in attendance – showed a stunning lack of self-awareness.) Opposing SEC athletic directors, by the way, are giddy to have Fulmer in charge as his administrative acumen presents little threat to the rest of the league. Expect Tennessee’s glory to remain faded.

College football coaching carousel winners and losers

Reactions: 15 people
I dont think CJP was a loser hire but not a homerun either I am reserving judgement until the end of 2019

Schiano would have been a losing hire

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
How many championships does Schiano have again? How is that the tool more accomplished. I will give him Leach but Pruitt is pretty solid for a first time head coach hire.

Reactions: 32 people
His opinion don’t mean **** to me.

Just another attention whore, so called journalists or should I say blogger.

Reactions: 13 people
MSU is a winner for their hire? A&M is a loser for their hire? Below the picture of Phil he makes it sound like he was part of the problem during the search. This guy is a moron and I hate that I gave him a click.

Reactions: 4 people
That "journalist" is an idiot. He seems to have forgotten that CJP has been a key role in 5 NC's. I'd take him any day over Greg ****ano.

Reactions: 12 people
How many championships does Schiano have again? How is that the tool more accomplished. I will give him Leach but Pruitt is pretty solid for a first time head coach hire.

I won't even give him Leach, I am not sure his offense would work in the SEC. No one really knows if Pruitt can be a great coach or not. But he sure sounds the part as well as those who are supposed to be in the know sure think he will be a good one. I think he well could be a home run hire. I sure hope so.

Reactions: 7 people
How anyone puts Greg Schiano in the same category as Mike Leach is beyond me. Leach is one of the most brilliant offensive innovators in college football history. Schiano is just some doofus who got Jersey kids to stay in Jersey for a few years at Rutgers and improved them from a cellar-dweller to a middle-of-the-road Big East program. His next to last team at Rutgers finished last in the weak Big East. His track record is pretty similar to Butch's, except with way bigger integrity issues.

I am somewhat bummed that we missed out on Leach, but this sudden media narrative that Schiano is the greatest coach since Saban is BS. They seem to have forgotten all the articles arguing he was the worst NFL coach of all-time just a few years earlier.

Reactions: 6 people
I get the love for Leech but c'mon Greg freaking Schiano would've been terrible here. He has so many other head coaching opportunities..gtfo

Reactions: 2 people
I knew Thamel and Forde were butthurt. I didn't think they were still this upset about their buddy Currie getting canned, though.

Reactions: 4 people
giphy.gif

Reactions: 7 people
Google him and you’ll see what a tool this guy is , The honey badger had to get an attorney to make him leave him alone and accused him of trying to bribe him to say things that wasn’t true for an interview . That was when he worked at SI before he decided to “ leave “ and go to work for yahoo sports which by the way I had no idea that still existed .

Reactions: 6 people
We’re a loser for hiring an unproven coordinator.... and MSU is a winner for.... targeting an unproven coordinator. Nevermind that it's well known that our unproven coordinator turned them down and they had to hire their second choice in unproven coordinators.

Brilliant, deep analysis there.

Reactions: 16 people

VN Store

Back