Pick your 10

So a little mash up of varying thoughts after today's presser, practice, media coverage etc...

Sounds like Fulkerson isn't as far along as hoped, he was out there practicing but only in non contact stuff, staff says end of this month they expect full go. Jalen Johnson is sidelined and doing nothing, no timetable for him, doesn't sound like good news for him since he was already battling for minutes.

Derrick Walker hype train continues, he continues to improve his body each and every day and is definitely our most physically imposing post player. Defensively he is our best post defender, and he knows what he's good at, defense and rebounding and buys into that 100%...clear favorite to start at the 5.

Admiral Schofield is almost exclusively playing at the 3, however something to watch is his defense, Barnes says if he can't defend on the perimeter it will force them to put him back inside which they don't want to do.

Lamonte Turner looks VERY good, has continued his strong play from Europe and there's some who think his should injury may have held him back a bit last year.

Pump the brakes on Pons...gifted athletically but anytime he attempts to dribble you hold your breath. Has a long ways to go but obviously is ready physically and is a freak athlete, can contribute defensively and rebounding as an end rotation guy.

Just knee jerk after today...

Bone 15/Darrington 15/Daniel 10
Turner 24/Daniel 10/ Bowden 6
Schofield 25/Bowden 10/ Pons 5
Williams 30/ Fulkerson 10
Walker 25/Alexander 15

Total minutes:
Williams 30
Schofield 25
Walker 25
Turner 24
Daniel 20
Bowden 16
Darrington 15
Bones 15
Alexander 15
Fulkerson 10
Pons 5

I think that Darrington, Daniel, Turner, Schofield, Walker, and Williams get a lot of minutes. Fulkerson and Johnson could too if they overcome their injuries. Pons, Alexander, Bone, and Kent don't play as much. Bowden plays until Johnson takes minutes or Turner back slides.

Darrington
Daniel
Schofield
Turner
Walker
Williams
Fulkerson
Johnson
Alexander
Pons
=================
Bowden
Bone
Kent

Not sure what part of Johnson not returning anytime soon you missed but doesn't sound good for him...also I see very little chance Bone and/or Bowden are demoted to 11th and 12th men.

Not sure what part of Johnson not returning anytime soon you missed but doesn't sound good for him...also I see very little chance Bone and/or Bowden are demoted to 11th and 12th men.

I saw no mention of Johnson being out for the season and the OP does not indicate it's only for the start of the season.

Bone doesn't add much. Darrington, Daniel, and Turner will IMO. I think that Bowden was recruited over with Dsniel, but if Turner's improvement is mythical then Bowden gets more minutes.

Actually I expect to see a 12 man rotation minus whomever is injured. Since Walker is looking so good I'm almost convinced that Kent takes a redshirt.

I think that Bone plays the fewest minutes.

I saw no mention of Johnson being out for the season and the OP does not indicate it's only for the start of the season.

Bone doesn't add much. Darrington, Daniel, and Turner will IMO. I think that Bowden was recruited over with Dsniel, but if Turner's improvement is mythical then Bowden gets more minutes.

There is no timetable for Johnson's return...that's typically not a good sign and seeing as how he's now been sidelined for ~2 months and will be for even longer you would think that even once fully cleared he's going to need time to get back into game shape...no?

Bone will undoubtedly see more minutes than Pons barring injury

TN is deeper at guard.

I believe that bringing in Daniel makes it a learning year for either Turner or Bone and they'll be able to earn more minutes in 2018-19 after Daniel moves on. Then if they've bought in and made progress they/he plays a lot of minutes in 2019-20.

Bone will undoubtedly see more minutes than Pons barring injury

Maybe not. Barnes' made it clear before the game that we lost fulk in last season that his guys weren't offensive minded enough.
Bone was one of those guys that was passing up shots. If he doesn't come out firing this season he may be watching . Neither
Darrington or Daniel are shy about putting it up and both can run point if needed.
Pons looks like a guy to me that isn't shy either. With Johnson out he could play a lot.

Reactions: 1 person
TN is deeper at guard.

I believe that bringing in Daniel makes it a learning year for either Turner or Bone and they'll be able to earn more minutes in 2018-19 after Daniel moves on. Then if they've bought in and made progress they/he plays a lot of minutes in 2019-20.

I think they're going to share minutes...those guys bring different things to the table and Barnes wants them playing at a high level on both ends.

Maybe not. Barnes' made it clear before the game that we lost fulk in last season that his guys weren't offensive minded enough.
Bone was one of those guys that was passing up shots. If he doesn't come out firing this season he may be watching . Neither
Darrington or Daniel are shy about putting it up and both can run point if needed.
Pons looks like a guy to me that isn't shy either. With Johnson out he could play a lot.

Pons is Dennis Rodman offensively compared to Bone

I think they're going to share minutes...those guys bring different things to the table and Barnes wants them playing at a high level on both ends.

I do think that Bone can push the ball. But he can't shoot. If opponents let TN go all Loyola-Marymount then that is good for Bone. If TN is forced into half court sets then Bone won't be much of a threat and will sit.

Pons is Dennis Rodman offensively compared to Bone

It's not really a comparison of Bone to Pons.
Bone's position is a lot more saturated. Pons is competing with Schofield for playing time but could also play some 4 in a small line up.

If I can get either of you to place some action on minutes played Pons vs. Bone I would love to, don't see it happening.

Calban you still owe me a steak dinner over Kasongo :)

If I can get either of you to place some action on minutes played Pons vs. Bone I would love to, don't see it happening.

Calban you still owe me a steak dinner over Kasongo :)

You have a paypal account? I'll wire u the money. Guy blew my mind.

I know. Have to give u that one though. I really expected RK to make some noise somewhere.

You did? Really? What gave you that impression? Not slamming you either. I just never saw anything to suggest he'd ever make an impact.

You did? Really? What gave you that impression? Not slamming you either. I just never saw anything to suggest he'd ever make an impact.

He was very impressive in HS and juco. Just didn't have the drive to take it to the next level. Had a lot to do with his support system, I think. Had him thinking he was entitled.

He was very impressive in HS and juco. Just didn't have the drive to take it to the next level. Had a lot to do with his support system, I think. Had him thinking he was entitled.

6 pts, 5 rebs at Southern Idaho JC. Not what I'd call impressive, per se, but I was just curious. I agree, there was a time in HS when he was highly regarded. I just don't think he ever developed beyond that and his support system did him no favors.

It appears that Barnes has settled on these 9 at this point:

Daniel/Bone
Bowden/Turner/Darrington
Schofield
Williams
Alexander/Fulkerson

with Walker coming along as the 10th/extra size in the paint.

TN played three guards most of the High Point game.

Zach Kent: project

Pons: ankle injury/project

Johnson: looks to me like he's not playing with a lot of confidence. I think he's not playing loose... putting a lot of pressure on himself. I hope he doesn't get discouraged. No doubt his injury this summer was a set back.

JJ and Pons will be especially important in a couple of years after Admiral graduates. If JJ develops his O/S shot there will be a lot of minutes opening up after Daniel, Darrington, and AS move on. Then more after Bone, Turner, and Bowden leave.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree that that will be the rotation for at least the non SEC season. It may shrink down a bit a the games start to count even more.

I too hope Johnson hangs in there cause he has talent and it's easy to see. Having come back from a major injury during my playing years I can tell you it's hard to really play loose until you have fully regained confidence in your body. In addition, you feel like you're always behind and press trying to get back to where you were. Recovery can be rough. Great to see Fulky doing so well post injury.

Also, I'm starting to think that Kent will red shirt and that Pons should too. Kent needs physical development although he seems willing to mix it up when he needs to. I'm starting to think that Pons has what could turn into a chronic ankle issue if it doesn't get corrected pretty soon. A red shirt year might also give him a chance to adapt fully to the US culture and language and get his academics on solid footing as well as addressing his ankle issue. Just a thought.

I've seen a few guys who cover the team mention the last couple weeks they see Barnes going 10 deep at the most, not saying that's dead set but just for conversation purposes during this slow period let's say they're correct. Who are your 10 and approximately how many minutes do you think each gets?
Mine...

Grant Williams 28
Admiral Schofield 26
James Daniel 22
Jordan Bone 20
Chris Darrington 20
Derrick Walker 20
John Fulkerson 20
Lamonte Turner 18
Jordan Bowden 18
Yves Pons 8

Alexander & Johnson seeing limited minutes and Kent redshirting

If that was a batting average (0.333) it would be pretty good.

Definitely missed on Johnson, he’s looking like a completely different player and has me very excited to think about what he could be next year.

I don't get the Johnson issue. But if he exits the program I suspect that Barnes will make an upgrade at the spot.

Johnson did have an injury during the RTL. Maybe it's worse than assumed and the timing of it put him way behind. But he has a red shirt year and Pons is apparently taking away any possible minutes for JJ.

I guess the coach's evaluation on Johnson a year ago was that he had the most upside... not that he's necessarily reach it.

VN Store

Back