Game Thread Lady Vols vs James Madison

Davis is a 4 and plays the 4 when Nared is on the court

hey i like your lineup but green will be the 4 n davis 3.nared now is playing her postion which she hasn't done since she has been here.i like this team alot n the freshman are just going to get better.davis i watched her in high school n i don't like to compare but will.HOLDSCLAW who i see in davis.

*looks askance at this entire thread*

Can we all agree that Rennia Davis is going to be something special? They're all going to be special, but I felt like she played hard, and also got in there and cleaned up some garbage for Tennessee. Those sort of players are valuable to teams; the ones who can create from mistakes and change the flow of a rebound attempt or a pass. I don't know, maybe I'm crazy, someone can feel free to contradict me. I kept seeing her be in the right place at the right time. Had a few defensive lapses, but otherwise, she looked like an all around contributor. And that's just Davis. There were other good performances as well, obviously. Just. That Davis. I suspect she's going to be making some highlights for us this year.

i feel the same davis has alot of holdsclaw in her.what you think?

Anyone worried about these cupcake be wins when it comes to selection time is strength of schedule. We can take care of that by beating ranked teams but if not our seeding might fall.

Green has a motor that Russell simply doesn't have (imo) and she is willing to bang/bruise (and no I am not knocking Russell). I like that Green is willing to go and get rebounds or challenge shot that Russell would normally look at or raise her hands looking to avoid the foul.

This is EXACTLY why I made my original statement.

Russell is a terrific player and I love her and look forward to her having an outstanding season but is, right now, (likely) as good as she'll ever be. She's unlikely to ever develop more speed. Or great leaping ability. Or upper arm/hand strength. Or the ability to get "scrappy" on the floor.

She just isn't physically suited for that. Sorry.

Now, Green? She IS. In the very little time she has played in a couple of YEARS she has already shown me that she has a tremendous upside, and WILL, given the minutes to adapt and grow, become a player that Holly will be extremely happy to have next season.

*** And no, CoachJumper, my last name isn't Jones.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Anyone worried about these cupcake be wins when it comes to selection time is strength of schedule. We can take care of that by beating ranked teams but if not our seeding might fall.

We have one of the stongest schedules in the country! Holly chose a smart schedule for this group, it gradually gets tougher which helps our freshmen. Just to name a few. Notre Dame (Away) Texas (Away) Stanford (Away) OKSU (Away) Marquette (Neutral) SC (twice) MSU (Twice) A&M (Away) And Missouri.

Reactions: 1 person
We have one of the stongest schedules in the country! Holly chose a smart schedule for this group, it gradually gets tougher which helps our freshmen. Just to name a few. Notre Dame (Away) Texas (Away) Stanford (Away) OKSU (Away) Marquette (Neutral) SC (twice) MSU (Twice) A&M (Away) And Missouri.

Agreed. I think the way this season's schedule lines up is absolutely perfect for this particular team that is trying to get many new players up to speed. To have had early games against top-ranked opponents this year may have done more harm than good.

Only thing I'm worried about is that it may take them longer to get into game shape than Holly is counting on with her strategy of letting them play into shape as the season progresses instead of having them fully conditioned now.

We'll see if her approach for this works out. Hope it does!

Agreed. And while some may end up being cupcakes (e.g. Alabama State, Wichita State), others may deceptively help with RPI in the long-run (or at a minimum are better than many of the teams Baylor and Maryland schedule...). In addition to the teams you mentioned, some 2016-17 end-of-year RPI's for teams we're playing this year:

James Madison: 41
South Dakota: 77
Central Arkansas: 82
Troy: 106
Long Beach St.: 111

Reactions: 2 people
This is EXACTLY why I made my original statement.

Russell is a terrific player and I love her and look forward to her having an outstanding season but is, right now, (likely) as good as she'll ever be. She's unlikely to ever develop more speed. Or great leaping ability. Or upper arm/hand strength. Or the ability to get "scrappy" on the floor.

She just isn't physically suited for that. Sorry.

Now, Green? She IS. In the very little time she has played in a couple of YEARS she has already shown me that she has a tremendous upside, and WILL, given the minutes to adapt and grow, become a player that Holly will be extremely happy to have next season.

*** And no, CoachJumper, my last name isn't Jones.

If we were on the court having this discussion, I would say, "Look at the scoreboard"....But since we're here, I'll say,

"Double Double" !

Agreed. And while some may end up being cupcakes (e.g. Alabama State, Wichita State), others may deceptively help with RPI in the long-run (or at a minimum are better than many of the teams Baylor and Maryland schedule...). In addition to the teams you mentioned, some 2016-17 end-of-year RPI's for teams we're playing this year:

2017/18 SOS according to Massey Ratings through games to date.

James Madison: 92
South Dakota: 37
Central Ark: 1
Troy: 323
Long Beach St: 145

Oh...and the LVs - 128 (yep, that's really strong). Of course Massey's Ratings are questionable, as are all ratings.

Massey Ratings - CBW

Oh...and the LVs - 128 (yep, that's really strong). Of course Massey's Ratings are questionable, as are all ratings.

Massey Ratings - CBW

So you take a jab at the SOS but then take a jab at the rating system?

Here is a top 15 SOS (right now #12) Yale #1

RealTimeRPI.com Women's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

So yea I would find that poll with 128 questionable... it even has Texas at 232 lol

Massey Ratings - CBW

Most teams have only played 2-3 games at this point. These ratings don’t mean anything yet.

So you take a jab at the SOS but then take a jab at the rating system?

Here is a top 15 SOS (right now #12) Yale #1

RealTimeRPI.com Women's College Basketball Rating Percentage Index (RPI) Ratings - A leading sports ratings and resources community on the Internet

So yea I would find that poll with 128 questionable... it even has Texas at 232 lol

Understand that Massey's is a SOS ranking to date (i.e., through games played so far this season). Also, the ratings you referenced, clearly list Tennessee's SOS as 44. Given the RealTimeRPI ratings are updated each Monday, I'd say these ratings are suspect as well. So a jab at RealTimeRPI as well. Wishful thinking perhaps, to believe SOS YTD is 12, having played only ETSU and JMU. :dunno:

VN Store

Back