Official Jon Gruden Thread 34

Status
Not open for further replies.
7-3, 3-3 in conference. They will be lucky to finish 8-5 with a 4-4 conference record.

Look, I don't want Mullen either, but you aren't honestly saying they're not locked into winning at least 1 of @Arkansas & vs Ole Miss.....They're clearly favorites to win either, I'd argue they're more like to win both than any other result.

That being said....it only took him 6 years to do that, and they even got somewhat lucky in their schedule. BYU turned out to be scrubs and they got Kentucky at home as 1 of their east games. It's the reason Mullen is 100% gone after this year, because he knows he'll never top this season there.

I think they finish 1-2 yes.

They’ll smoke Arkansas. Anything can happen in the Egg Bowl, I’ll give you that. But I’m still willing to bet they beat Ole Miss.

Mullen is 5-2 in bowl games. Not saying they win, but his record indicates a favorable result.

Again, I’m not advocating Mullen. Just trying to be objective.

So according to your theory

And if you look at the records he’s essentially made State 3-4 wins better a yr.

If he had the same results at Tennessee that would be 10-11 win seasons almost every year

Reactions: 1 person
I think they finish 1-2 yes.

they're a huge favorite to win at ark and will be the same vs ole miss..anything is possible of course but them winning their last THREE when you include the bowl is far more likely than 1-2, not to mention 2-1.

you are as smart as a bag a hammers. But you already showed math not your strong point

They’ll smoke Arkansas. Anything can happen in the Egg Bowl, I’ll give you that. But I’m still willing to bet they beat Ole Miss.

Mullen is 5-2 in bowl games. Not saying they win, but his record indicates a favorable result.

Again, I’m not advocating Mullen. Just trying to be objective.

Be as objective as you want. That's fine. I love UT! Am a season ticket holder for the last 22 years. I gave plenty of $$ over the years. I don't want a long shot. I will NOT accept Mullen, or ANY other loser as head coach!

Reactions: 2 people
Gruden wouldn’t have gone to all the trouble to meet with Currie numerous times if he wasn’t seriously interested in the UT job.

I think the deal is done. Just waiting for it to be finalized.

I hope he is , I dont think we can stand another 4 years of a google coach

Be as objective as you want. That's fine. I love UT! Am a season ticket holder for the last 22 years. I gave plenty of $$ over the years. I don't want a long shot. I will NOT accept Mullen, or ANY other loser as head coach!

Well good for you, cheers!

Understand you don’t want Mullen (not in my Top 3 either) but calling him a loser is false at best and down right silly. Nothing about that mans carreer says loser. He is one hell of a football coach. Maybe not the guy we’re looking for but you are extremely loose with your choice of words.

they're a huge favorite to win at ark and will be the same vs ole miss..anything is possible of course but them winning their last THREE when you include the bowl is far more likely than 1-2, not to mention 2-1.

you are as smart as a bag a hammers. But you already showed math not your strong point

Look here buddy! I got your bag of hammers right here! Why don't you stop with the personal ****!

Understand you don’t want Mullen (not in my Top 3 either) but calling him a loser is false at best and down right silly. Nothing about that mans carreer says loser. He is one hell of a football coach. Maybe not the guy we’re looking for but you are extremely loose with your choice of words.

His 32-38 conference record is in fact a losing record.

Reactions: 5 people
The main plot line in "The Hunt for Red October" that no one I have read has mentioned
is the biggest theme of the movie.....
the Russian sub commander wanted to DEFECT !

AV is telling us that the "RED Commander" (SABAN) is going to DEFECT --- he will
leave Bama and is coming to UT !!!

*just kidding ...but i believe sooner or later someone in here would be thinking
about this !

His 32-38 conference record is in fact a losing record.

I understand. Hell, I dont live in this thread because I want anyone other than Gruden. I just think the dude has one hell of a football mind and the fact that he’s had 8/9 winning seasons at Miss St of all places is noteworthy. There’s a reason they want him around. Toughest division in football at probably the least likely place for success and he somehow keeps them
competitive.

I feel your pain. We all want that splash hire. JG all the way for me. I just wouldn’t call him a loser.

So according to your theory

And if you look at the records he’s essentially made State 3-4 wins better a yr.

If he had the same results at Tennessee that would be 10-11 win seasons almost every year

The Law of Diminishing Returns would argue that the closer you get to the theoretical maximum (undefeated season) the more difficult it is to make the same improvement as if you were lower on the theoretical output curve (6-win season). A coach can very easily take a team from 0 wins to 4 wins, would be moderately challenged take a team from 4 wins to 8 wins, but be extremely challenged to take a team from 8 wins to 12 wins (any fractional marginal improvement within that range becomes exponentially increasingly more difficult).

Not to say that it can't happen, but it's not valid to say that since he improved a bad team to mediocre, he can improve a mediocre team to good. It's a fallacy many athletic directors employ when choosing a coach, but mostly because of the unknown unknown variables involved in the decision. Mullen would be at best a 50/50 shot based on that argument alone.

Thankfully, this is the Gruden thread so we won't waste our time discussing petty economic-based arguments for why or why not Dan Mullen will or will not succeed at UT, because we will never get the opportunity to find out.

Reactions: 2 people
well man you're saying a lot of things that make you appear (1) drunk or (2) irrational or (3) not intelligent

Plus the only mistake I made was miscalculating his avg wins per year. Maybe I have had one to many, and counted an extra year. Still 6.8-7.5 isn't that that far off.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back