Official 2017-18 NBA Season Thread

You want to be better than .500. It's just a bench mark you have yet to achieve. All those terrible seasons and you might have two players with top 10 potential, both of whom have had major injuries. It's too early to make a judgement on Fultz, but what we've seen is not good at all. Who knows if they'll ever bring out the best in each other. We got a C and a forward who want to be PG and a SG who wants to be Harden. How is it going to work?

I just don't agree with going overboard on tanking. You can build a winner without tanking. You don't have to have a grip of top 3 picks to build a franchise. Golden St built their dynasty with Steph being their highest good pick (#7).

Hinkie struck out so many times, Simmons looks legit, and we're still in wait and see on the others. They may very well end up all working well together and staying healthy, but only time will tell.

I disagree, I loved the tanking and look forward to our promising future. Will it work? Who knows but it still is better than all the other plans the sixers tried before. The Warriors still would have never been champions in the first place without getting one of the best players in all of basketball. The Sixers plan was just to try and and guarantee that they may get one of those kind of players. There is not a single team that has a realistic chance at the championship without a top ten and more than likely top 5 player on their team.

Not only that, Embiid doesn't know his role and people are happy with the way he is playing. He won't fix that crap if he gets all this praise for playing point center. He gets more than 3x as many turnovers as the average center and not even 2x as many assists.

Most of his turnovers happen from back to the basket moves when he dribbles too much. He will get better at those working with Drew Hanlen. He also struggles with passing out of the double team which he is getting better at each game.

Hinkie had the right idea, but his drafting has been questionable. Taking Okafor over Porzingis might haunt that franchise for years.

Actually, Hinkie wanted to draft Porzingis but was over ruled. Who knows if we get Simmons if we drafted Porzingis? I really wanted Ben Simmons in a Sixers Uniform.

I disagree, I loved the tanking and look forward to our promising future. Will it work? Who knows but it still is better than all the other plans the sixers tried before. The Warriors still would have never been champions in the first place without getting one of the best players in all of basketball. The Sixers plan was just to try and and guarantee that they may get one of those kind of players. There is not a single team that has a realistic chance at the championship without a top ten and more than likely top 5 player on their team.

Uh did we forget 2015 for the Warriors?

I think me and Huff are fine with tanking (I know I am), but we are talking more about Hinkie's draft record which is poor.

Actually, Hinkie wanted to draft Porzingis but was over ruled. Who knows if we get Simmons if we drafted Porzingis? I really wanted Ben Simmons in a Sixers Uniform.

Imma need concrete evidence that was the case.

Uh did we forget 2015 for the Warriors?

I think me and Huff are fine with tanking (I know I am), but we are talking more about Hinkie's draft record which is poor.

If I were GM, I'd try to win every game until we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, then I would start making roster moves with the future in mind (rest vets, play rookies, etc.). It's more than just tanking to get a better pick, you're also trying to stay healthy for next year and gain experience for the future.

That's just how I would do it. I'm OK with taking the tanking a little bit further than that, but it often gets out of hand.

Imma need concrete evidence that was the case.

No proof just sixer media talking about it back then and people complaining about it on sixers message boards right now. I, personally dont care bc the plan was to give us the highest chance to be successful, not that he would hit on every player.

If I were GM, I'd try to win every game until we were mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, then I would start making roster moves with the future in mind (rest vets, play rookies, etc.). It's more than just tanking to get a better pick, you're also trying to stay healthy for next year and gain experience for the future.

That's just how I would do it. I'm OK with taking the tanking a little bit further than that, but it often gets out of hand.

It is not just tanking....its also getting rid of all the bad contracts and build assets......Look at the World Champion Houston Astros who followed the same plan....its a shame we didnt let Hinkie finish his plan.

No proof just sixer media talking about it back then and people complaining about it on sixers message boards right now. I, personally dont care bc the plan was to give us the highest chance to be successful, not that he would hit on every player.

If you tank, and do not hit on every top five pick, that sets you back significantly. If you draft Zinger or Giannis instead of MCW and Okafor, you are the top three favorite in the East instead of finally fighting for a playoff spot.

If you tank, and do not hit on every top five pick, that sets you back significantly. If you draft Zinger or Giannis instead of MCW and Okafor, you are the top three favorite in the East instead of finally fighting for a playoff spot.

Noone hits on every single draft pick.....the closest would be the thunder drafting Harden, Westbrook and Durant....The Sixers stars have only played 13 games together with a first round pick not really playing yet. Dont you think it is a little early to be claiming they are fighting for the last playoff spot...It takes awhile for all the pieces to gell.

Noone hits on every single draft pick.....the closest would be the thunder drafting Harden, Westbrook and Durant....The Sixers stars have only played 13 games together with a first round pick not really playing yet. Dont you think it is a little early to be claiming they are fighting for the last playoff spot...It takes awhile for all the pieces to gell.

Sure and that couls definitely change. Colangelo (surprisingly) has added some nice pieces to help out this year.

Look I think the Sixers are in a great spot (mainly bc I am so high on Simmons and Fultz) for the future and some of that is due to Hinkie. The tanking strategy is the right idea. My issue was his scouting department or whoever failed him. He missed on three lottery picks and his fourth has played in 40 career games in 3+ seasons. That doesnt scream like he knows what he is doing.

I agree. This is a big reason why I think tanking is not a good strategy.

Sure and that couls definitely change. Colangelo (surprisingly) has added some nice pieces to help out this year.

Look I think the Sixers are in a great spot (mainly bc I am so high on Simmons and Fultz) for the future and some of that is due to Hinkie. The tanking strategy is the right idea. My issue was his scouting department or whoever failed him. He missed on three lottery picks and his fourth has played in 40 career games in 3+ seasons. That doesnt scream like he knows what he is doing.

He also drafted and dealt W Hernangomez and E Payton.

And Jrue Holiday has been better than the picks he received.

I thought they got Noel who is better than JH, IMO. Noel just didn't habe a place in Philly with Embiid and Okafor. They traded him for nothing. In hindsight, they should have traded Okafor.

Noel is awful, he can't even hold onto the starting job on one of the worst frontcourts in basketball he's a career journeyman at best. Jrue is a legit starter at the best position in basketball.

Whatever the Mavs are doing is really inexplicable. It's not working. Noel can get you rebounds, he can defend the rim, and he can score with efficiency. He has done all this consistently since his 2nd year.

JH's career TS% is terrible. He plays good D. He's an OK distributor. He's off to a terrible start this season shooting .226 from 3. He's not even averaging a 2:1 a:to ratio and he's got Cousins and Davis.

Give me Noel for $4M over Jrue Holiday at $25M. I'd take JH if I needed a PG badly and he were under $12M.

Hinkie was a bad drafter. It is pretty simple.

Their philosophy was perfectly captured in the 2015 draft. They had a weak draft and were satisfied with picking Okafor. Then they gave up a decent 2nd round pick for nothing and got a meh role player in Holmes. 76ers haven't necessarily had busts, but a little creativity would have served them well in getting better players.

I don't get the Saric love. He's 23 and he can't score efficiently or defend (his rebounding is OK). I'll give a 20 year old rookie a break on scoring efficiency, but if you are a scorer and aren't scoring at least at league average efficiency by your early 20's, I'd be concerned.

Whatever the Mavs are doing is really inexplicable. It's not working. Noel can get you rebounds, he can defend the rim, and he can score with efficiency. He has done all this consistently since his 2nd year.

JH's career TS% is terrible. He plays good D. He's an OK distributor. He's off to a terrible start this season shooting .226 from 3. He's not even averaging a 2:1 a:to ratio and he's got Cousins and Davis.

Give me Noel for $4M over Jrue Holiday at $25M. I'd take JH if I needed a PG badly and he were under $12M.

Lol it started in your first reply...impressive.

VN Store

Back