Lane Kiffin on Chattanooga 102.3 sports talk

Vato

GBO
Dude is funny as hell. I can only forgive the guy for his stupidity. He did say winning helps fans forgive. If he came here again (not gonna happen) and began winning, I think most would forgive him.

Reactions: 28 people
Honestly, he's a pretty good coach. People forget, but the South Carolina, Georgia games got us excited about his potential. That's why everyone was pissed when he left. No one cares when a crap coach leaves.

Reactions: 58 people
Dude is funny as hell. I can only forgive the guy for his stupidity. He did say winning helps fans forgive. If he came here again (not gonna happen) and began winning, I think most would forgive him.

He would be coming back sans Layla, so no.

Reactions: 14 people
Honestly, he's a pretty good coach. People forget, but the South Carolina, Georgia games got us excited about his potential. That's why everyone was pissed when he left. No one cares when a crap coach leaves.

not sure if that's why people were pissed. think it had more to do with us having to find another coach for the 2nd year in a row.

not sure if that's why people were pissed. think it had more to do with us having to find another coach for the 2nd year in a row.

That's part of it, but if we'd been 4-8 I don't think there would have been mattresses on fire on campus.

Reactions: 2 people
This summary was posted on Reddit for any Vol fans who have forgotten what happened when Kiffin was here. This is why we hate him and winning games won’t make up for destroying and disrespecting our history and traditions.

He flat out refused to recite General Neyland's Maxims. A Tennessee tradition that goes back to WWII - every single team has repeated them before every game. Kiffin wanted to ignore them. Player leadership demanded that Kiffin make time in pre-game so that THEY could lead the team - and when the players led the team in the Maxims Kiffin stood there without speaking.

· Played USC highlights in all the football facilities. No highlights of Travis Henry, no highlights of Eric Berry, no highlights of Peyton Manning. Kiffin had Matt Leinart & Reggie Bush highlights playing instead.

· Painted over Tennessee murals. He ordered the maintenance staff to remove or replace a lot of Tennessee’s historical pictures/paintings - even going so far as to demand the removal of a picture of Peyton Manning leading the band in Rocky Top - the Peyton picture was not removed because the maintenance staff refused to do it. Let that sink in, they cared enough to risk their jobs to save a historical picture that the HC of Tennessee didn't care about at all.

Kiffin showed absolutely zero respect for Tennessee. More than anything else that is what irks me. I don't blame him for leaving for his dream job - I really don't. But the man came into Knoxville and treated Tennessee like we had no history, no traditions, and nothing to build off of.
He treated us like we were San Jose State instead of a top-10 winning program.

Reactions: 65 people

That was a slightly above average SC team and that was one of Richt's worst UGA squads ever. I will pass.

This summary was posted on Reddit for any Vol fans who have forgotten what happened when Kiffin was here. This is why we hate him and winning games won’t make up for destroying and disrespecting our history and traditions.

He flat out refused to recite General Neyland's Maxims. A Tennessee tradition that goes back to WWII - every single team has repeated them before every game. Kiffin wanted to ignore them. Player leadership demanded that Kiffin make time in pre-game so that THEY could lead the team - and when the players led the team in the Maxims Kiffin stood there without speaking.

· Played USC highlights in all the football facilities. No highlights of Travis Henry, no highlights of Eric Berry, no highlights of Peyton Manning. Kiffin had Matt Leinart & Reggie Bush highlights playing instead.

· Painted over Tennessee murals. He ordered the maintenance staff to remove or replace a lot of Tennessee’s historical pictures/paintings - even going so far as to demand the removal of a picture of Peyton Manning leading the band in Rocky Top - the Peyton picture was not removed because the maintenance staff refused to do it. Let that sink in, they cared enough to risk their jobs to save a historical picture that the HC of Tennessee didn't care about at all.

Kiffin showed absolutely zero respect for Tennessee. More than anything else that is what irks me. I don't blame him for leaving for his dream job - I really don't. But the man came into Knoxville and treated Tennessee like we had no history, no traditions, and nothing to build off of.

Much of these are flat-out fabrications. I was in the football complex and AD on multiple occasions during the fall of 2009 and saw NO evidence of this BS. I didn't see inside Kiffin's personal office.

Reactions: 9 people

Lane is an offensive genius but he has a problem keeping his pants zipped up.... Dan Mullen would be a better choice and would represent the school with honor and commitment.

Last edited:
The interview was great, they are going to replay it also. Reading between the lines, it sounded like he would come back to Knoxville, especially when he used the x girlfriend analogy, time heals all.

Reactions: 1 person
The interview was very generic. Nothing was said to indicate interest in Tennessee or coaching in the SEC whatsoever. I listened but I wasn't sure what I was expecting to hear from him.

They are going to replay the interview at 6:00 for anyone interested.

Last edited:
I'd be ok with his return, only if every single Volnation member could throat punch him before he's signs the contract.

Reactions: 1 person

I liked your post, but there were no Berry highlights shown by Kiffin because Berry was presently busy making those highlights each week.

Reactions: 5 people
The interview was great, they are going to replay it also. Reading between the lines, it sounded like he would come back to Knoxville, especially when he used the x girlfriend analogy, time heals all.

Maybe he and Layla are working it out?

VN Store

Back