Fulmer debate extravaganza (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just don't see the connection between Bill Calahan and Phil Fulmer. He had 2 losing seasons in 4 years, and Fulmer has had one 15+ seasons. I'm not saying we should keep Phil, but if he had 2 losing seasons in a 4 season stretch he'd be gone too. If anything, we at least appear to be improving where as Nebraska flip-flopped.

Reactions: 1 person
I just don't see the connection between Bill Calahan and Phil Fulmer. He had 2 losing seasons in 4 years, and Fulmer has had one 15+ seasons. I'm not saying we should keep Phil, but if he had 2 losing seasons in a 4 season stretch he'd be gone too. If anything, we at least appear to be improving where as Nebraska flip-flopped.

Bill Callahan was a horrible coach and about the was about the worst possible fit Nebraska could have hired. For Fulmer not to do much better than Bill he would have to be a complete buffoon.

Over the last three years:

Tennessee 24-14
Nebraska: 22-16
Miami: 21-16
And your point is? Personally I couldn't give a rat's ass what the Cornholers or the Criminals do. My focus is on the University of Tennessee being the best they can be. Accomplishing that plateau of excellence is in the coaching staff and players hands.

Good points, Peay! You are spot on--just in the minority here. Glad to see you posting!

Fulmer is the best man for the job! Go Vols!:dance2::rock:

You bet............. consistent failure!

I like losing 4 games a year!

zeke_vomit.jpg

No but look Osbourne left Nebraska and Solich comes in. Out of 6 seasons he has 5 winning ones with one being a trip to the NC. He wins the north 3 of 6 years. He goes 7-7 and a year later is fired. Callahan comes in and sucks, just like in the NFL.

Miami is even better. Coker comes in after Davis goes to the Browns. He, over a 6 years period, WINS A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, wins 3 conference championships, has a 7-6 season and is fired (He also had a career win percentage of .800). The next year Randy Shannon is hired to go 5-7... something about firing coaches does not add up...

No but look Osbourne left Nebraska and Solich comes in. Out of 6 seasons he has 5 winning ones with one being a trip to the NC. He wins the north 3 of 6 years. He goes 7-7 and a year later is fired. Callahan comes in and sucks, just like in the NFL.

Miami is even better. Coker comes in after Davis goes to the Browns. He, over a 6 years period, WINS A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP, wins 3 conference championships, has a 7-6 season and is fired (He also had a career win percentage of .800). The next year Randy Shannon is hired to go 5-7... something about firing coaches does not add up...

how about Stoops, Meyer, Carroll, Schiano, Richt, Erickson, Saban, Paul Johnson, etc?

how about Stoops, Meyer, Carroll, Schiano, Richt, Erickson, Saban, Paul Johnson, etc?

Meyer, Schiano, and Carroll were great pickups, Richt has certainly resurrected UGA but has yet do impress too much, Saban did little before and has done nothing since LSU (who is always incredibly talented), and Stoops has won allot in the weak Big 12 (he essentially has to beat Texas to win the conference(except for letting K.St. upset him that one year in the conf champ game)) but he has done nothing in the big game.

Yeah, someone snatched Larry Coker up real quick. He's an awesome coach. Great point.

Meyer, Schiano, and Carroll were great pickups, Richt has certainly resurrected UGA but has yet do impress too much, Saban did little before and has done nothing since LSU (who is always incredibly talented), and Stoops has won allot in the weak Big 12 (he essentially has to beat Texas to win the conference(except for letting K.St. upset him that one year in the conf champ game)) but he has done nothing in the big game.

LSU was not incredibly talented before Saban. Stoops won an NC. That's the biggest game there is. Richt has won as many SEC Championships as Fulmer.

LSU was not incredibly talented before Saban. Stoops won an NC. That's the biggest game there is. Richt has won as many SEC Championships as Fulmer.

Fulmer won a NC too...and not too long before Stoops won his only championship. Bob also has a penchant for laying remarkable eggs in bowl games not unlike our own coach.

As for Richt, if he does not win a national title soon, I think Georgia fans will probably start saying the things about him that we are so prone to say about Fulmer.

Fulmer won a NC too...and not too long before Stoops won his only championship. Bob also has a penchant for laying remarkable eggs in bowl games not unlike our own coach.

As for Richt, if he does not win a national title soon, I think Georgia fans will probably start saying the things about him that we are so prone to say about Fulmer.

As long as Stoops and Richt keep winning their respective conferences every three years or so I imagine their fanbases will stay happy.

I will say with 100% certainty that if Fulmer were having the success that those two have had this decade he would have very few detractors on Volnation.

Really? Success like a 55-19 Rose Bowl loss? A loss to a WAC team and a team without a coach in back-to-back years at the Fiesta Bowl? What about an embarrassing home loss to a conference opponent followed by an even more embarrassing one the next year? Or losses to Vanderbilt and Kentucky in the same season?

Richt and Stoops have been more successful than Fulmer, I don't disagree, but there are plenty of reasons to criticize both; they're not the end-all of coaches.

Carroll, on the other hand, is.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back