Windy's football discussion thread.

Someone suggested Jim Chaney (on here, don't get alarmed yet). While not in my top tier, he's a great OC. There is some real selective memory about his OC abilities in that thread. I never recall people all that upset about what he was doing while here. Everyone else? Well, umm, yeah.

Also, I was in basic training for the Kiffin season. I remember lots of excitement going into the season and for the hire in general before I got shipped off in August. Lots of people over there in la la land (aka the FF) are pretending like no one knew who he was nor wanted him as HC. Why am I not remembering it that way?

I have heard a new small piece of information.
We are apparently willing to spend this time. I still have my doubts but at least they’re talking about trying to get their #1 choice instead of going bargain shopping.

Outside of Gruden, who I don’t think is a real possibility, I don’t think there’s a hire that will make everyone happy

Kiffin- (I would actually support this hire)

source.gif

We are apparently willing to spend this time. I still have my doubts but at least they’re talking about trying to get their #1 choice instead of going bargain shopping.

Outside of Gruden, who I don’t think is a real possibility, I don’t think there’s a hire that will make everyone happy

I’m surprised how many people seem to not like the idea of Chip Kelly

I think he’d be a good hire but not here more than 4-5 years

I don’t know where he’d bolt to. Native New Englander and played for and got his coaching start at New Hampshire. Not sure where a homecoming for him would be to. I think the NFL is done with as a HC. Really can’t see him going from SEC HC to NFL OC, unless he thought he could turn it into a HC gig. Even if that were to happen, he only bolts on his own because he’s done great things here imo.

Also, I was in basic training for the Kiffin season. I remember lots of excitement going into the season and for the hire in general before I got shipped off in August. Lots of people over there in la la land (aka the FF) are pretending like no one knew who he was nor wanted him as HC. Why am I not remembering it that way?

Hamilton's hamfisted handling of Fulmer poisoned the UT job for any accomplished collegiate coach. The list of no thank yous was longer than the road from Memphis to Knoxville. Hamilton winds up with Kiffin, and unproven guy who'd been fired by Raider Al and had no P5 schools knocking on his door. Kiffin shows up, removes all of the reminders of UT football history and puts up posters of USCw, proclaiming he wants to turn UT into the USCw of the southeast. Then, he violates NCAA rules, makes snarky comments to the press about other coaches and programs, and recruits players who immediately get into trouble violating rules and laws. After one 7-5, 4-4 season and a blow-out bowl loss, he jumps ship for his "dream job" at USCw (and Hamilton lets him have a presser on campus). While blowing town, Kiffin's assistance are busy trying to flip UT commits to USCw. The man-boy is a tool (with personal baggage involving coeds). Layla divorced him (Warning! Warning, Will Robinson!). Frankly, she'd be a better prospect than her ex.

Reactions: 1 person
Hamilton's hamfisted handling of Fulmer poisoned the UT job for any accomplished collegiate coach. The list of no thank yous was longer than the road from Memphis to Knoxville. Hamilton winds up with Kiffin, and unproven guy who'd been fired by Raider Al and had no P5 schools knocking on his door. Kiffin shows up, removes all of the reminders of UT football history and puts up posters of USCw, proclaiming he wants to turn UT into the USCw of the southeast. Then, he violates NCAA rules, makes snarky comments to the press about other coaches and programs, and recruits players who immediately get into trouble violating rules and laws. After one 7-5, 4-4 season and a blow-out bowl loss, he jumps ship for his "dream job" at USCw (and Hamilton lets him have a presser on campus). While blowing town, Kiffin's assistance are busy trying to flip UT commits to USCw. The man-boy is a tool (with personal baggage involving coeds). Layla divorced him (Warning! Warning, Will Robinson!). Frankly, she'd be a better prospect than her ex.

You’re severely altering the hype Kiffin had being let go by Raiders. I know that much. He was far from a bargain basement hire

You’re severely altering the hype Kiffin had being let go by Raiders. I know that much. He was far from a bargain basement hire

He was available when Hamilton had become desperate, and, he wasn't entertaining competing offers from other P5 schools.

Kelly is a terrible hire for Tennessee. He loathes recruiting and the scrutiny the fan base will place on him.

He'd be a terrible fit at any of the blue blood schools.

Also, if we are bringing back coordinators, call Wilcox. I think there is a zero percent chance he leaves the West Coast for UT, and I don't know if he's ready, but it's a much better idea than Chaney.

What about Chaney makes you think he'd be a good head coach? He also loathes recruiting.

Gruden, who I think is a real possibility, I think there’s a hire that will make everyone happy

Boom Gruden Gruden Gruden! Sounds good slice!fyp ... one thing about it Gruden makes the bad years good with trying to catch him looks like we got the big fish of the sea now.

I'm still not sold that he would be a good fit here, mainly because he seems to be all offense with only a token defense. However if he's the guy I'll be on board 100%

I think it’s fairly obvious whether it’s Kelly, Gruden or whomever, a competent staff comes with it. IE, a defensive minded head coach hires a very good OC and vice versa for an offensive coach.

Why would you be on board 100% for Kelly if you’re not sold on him? Does that reasoning work regardless of the hire?

I think it’s fairly obvious whether it’s Kelly, Gruden or whomever, a competent staff comes with it. IE, a defensive minded head coach hires a very good OC and vice versa for an offensive coach.

Why would you be on board 100% for Kelly if you’re not sold on him? Does that reasoning work regardless of the hire?

Yes, because once the decision is made it's made. I may not like the hire, but I'll support whoever it is unless and until he proves to be incapable of doing the job. I was still behind Butch until the Florida game.

Yes, because once the decision is made it's made. I may not like the hire, but I'll support whoever it is unless and until he proves to be incapable of doing the job. I was still behind Butch until the Florida game.

Perhaps I have battered fan syndrome along with slice. There’s no way I can be 100% just any coach. I’m not sure I could get behind Gruden, Kelly or Fuente 100% until they show me something.

Perhaps I have battered fan syndrome along with slice. There’s no way I can be 100% just any coach. I’m not sure I could get behind Gruden, Kelly or Fuente 100% until they show me something.

Admitting we have a problem is the first step to recovery

I will give any Tennessee coach time to show me something. Kiffin proved to be a circumcision within months of his hire. Dooley proved to be the unCoach with the first year turnover on his staff. Butch, well, year 5 is an exit ramp sign, to date. May the next coach demonstrate the right stuff. Amen, and pop open that ice cold Nehi orange.

My thoughts from tonight’s Torah study.

Ecclesiastes 1:9King James Version (KJV)

9 The thing that hath been, it is that which shall be; and that which is done is that which shall be done: and there is no new thing under the sun.

VN Store

Back