Countdown until it's basketball time in Tennessee!

Man... there is no way Cal should have not won the NCAA that year. That 2009-2010 team was absolutely loaded.

Wall
Bledsoe
Cousins
Pat Pat
Darius Miller
Liggins
Harrellson

I'd be embarrassed to have that roster and only make it to the E8.

Man I used to love watching DeAndre Liggins, Cal didn't recruit him but he was such a great defender. Great in transition too.

Maymon's like "who cares, my knees still hurt."

I always thought it was crazy that Bruce gave Steven Pearl 15-20 minutes per game while Jeronne rode the pine. During his first year as a starter (his only healthy year after he transferred from Marquette) he was probably a top 10 rebounder in the country.

The decision between a scrappy but slow 6'5" power forward who couldn't shoot or handle the ball and a broad shouldered 6'7" former 4 star top 50 recruit should have been a no-brainer.

Maymon's like "who cares, my knees still hurt."

I always thought it was crazy that Bruce gave Steven Pearl 15-20 minutes per game while Jeronne rode the pine. During his first year as a starter (his only healthy year after he transferred from Marquette) he was probably a top 10 rebounder in the country.

The decision between a scrappy but slow 6'5" power forward who couldn't shoot or handle the ball and a broad shouldered 6'7" former 4 star top 50 recruit should have been a no-brainer.

Not that it justifies giving S. Pearl minutes, but Maymon, after joining the team mid-season, had trouble embracing the role that eventually made him so successful. He, and his dad, believed he was a perimeter player, which led to his Marquette transfer. When he became eligible at Tennessee, he shot way too much and floated around the perimeter too often. Pearl played over him because his dad could trust him to do what he asked, and he embraced that role. It took Maymon a while, and a new coach to change his mindset.

Reactions: 1 person
Not that it justifies giving S. Pearl minutes, but Maymon, after joining the team mid-season, had trouble embracing the role that eventually made him so successful. He, and his dad, believed he was a perimeter player, which led to his Marquette transfer. When he became eligible at Tennessee, he shot way too much and floated around the perimeter too often. Pearl played over him because his dad could trust him to do what he asked, and he embraced that role. It took Maymon a while, and a new coach to change his mindset.

You are correct about his dad, I knew he that was the reason for him leaving MU but I didn't know it was the same when he first got here. Not surprised though. Good stuff, Chris.

IIRC his dad called into one of the sports radio shows in Milwaukee after he announced his transfer and said that they expected Jeronne to be a one-and-done when he originally committed there. You're correct about him leaving because he wasn't getting minutes as a wing player.

This. Maymon's transition to a post player was truly remarkable. He had his mind pretty much made up that he was going to be a guard/wing. A lot of players will not buy in like he did and completely change their style of play. A prime example would be Renaldo Woolridge. He should have put everything into becoming a PF, but for some reason he thought he was a shooting guard.

Maymon's dad was crazy if he thought that that he could come in and start over Jimmy Butler, Lazar Hayward, and Darius Johnson-Odom at the guard/wing position at MU.

VQ saying buzz around practice last couple weeks has been on Admiral and Bone...Admiral really showing an improved shot and looks like Tennessee's best player right now. Bone has responded very well to the increased competition and has taken his game to another level, he's starting to separate himself at PG.

Reactions: 2 people
VQ saying buzz around practice last couple weeks has been on Admiral and Bone...Admiral really showing an improved shot and looks like Tennessee's best player right now. Bone has responded very well to the increased competition and has taken his game to another level, he's starting to separate himself at PG.

Admiral stepping up, doesn't surprise me. Bone does and good for him and the 2017-'18 Vols

Face palm. Lol I was thinking he was 21.

Btw you've taken the avi like a man with the number of posts you've made today. I defended you in the other thread and when I clicked reply a few others had done the same.

You came at a legend with some bad info and you were forced to take an L as a result. You did that to yourself and it probably won't be the last time.

But you've held up your end of the losing deal and you've taken it in stride. Salute.

Btw you've taken the avi like a man with the number of posts you've made today. I defended you in the other thread and when I clicked reply a few others had done the same.

You came at a legend with some bad info and you were forced to take an L as a result. You did that to yourself and it probably won't be the last time.

But you've held up your end of the losing deal and you've taken it in stride. Salute.

I swear I reading the thread a day later and it was like seeing a car crash in slow motion with no ability to do anything. Dallas going, without hesitation, straight at BTO...I immediately knew what was about to happen. I love how fast BTO can pull up these old threads or remember these posts. I'm pretty good at finding old stuff, but BTO is the freaking GOAT.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back