Penn State is preparing for Texas A&M to make a run at James Franklin

So you want to settle again? Raise your standards people.

Would he be my first choice? No. Do I want to settle? No

Am I cogniscent of UT's track record? Yes.

Like I said, he'd be an upgrade and we could do worse

Last edited:
Hmmmm..... All the arguments of why a good coach wouldn't leave where he's settled to a new school and play Saban every year no matter how much money is thrown at him...

Sounds familiar...................

Meh, he has the #3 in recruiting rankings. No way there isn't some shady stuff going on IMO.

Penn St is a blue blood program, great tradition, facilities, etc., and they are successful on the field again after winning the Big 10 last year. Now that they have competent coach, why should it be surprising they have recruited well?

Let A&M get into a bidding war for Franklin. A&M has a lot of money, but Franklin would have to become the highest paid coach in CFB to leave a good situation in State College. Can't believe I even said that.

Would he be my first choice? No. Do I want to settle? No

Am I cogniscent of UT's track record? Yes.

Like I said, he'd be an upgrade and we could do worse

I don't think he's much better than Butch honestly. Better yes but not enough to justify. Although, this program would be in a better place if we had hired him and not Dooley. That's for sure.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't think he's much better than Butch honestly. Better yes but not enough to justify. Although, this program would be in a better place if we had hired him and not Dooley. That's for sure.

You think that Franklin is not much better than Butch? Seriously?

James Franklin is not going to A&M. Is not. Just like the Saban to Texas a couple years ago, it's just click bait to get people to visit their website.

It's not happening.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
You think that Franklin is not much better than Butch? Seriously?

The thing Franklin does better than Jones is adjust his offense around his players. He rides 2 or 3 key players to whatever glory they can bring the team. I'm interested to see what he does down the line in year 4 or 5 as he hasn't been anywhere past 3 years yet.

Penn St is a blue blood program, great tradition, facilities, etc., and they are successful on the field again after winning the Big 10 last year. Now that they have competent coach, why should it be surprising they have recruited well?

biggest downside to being Penn State is exactly what happened last year. They beat Ohio St, win the Big 10 and still get shut out of the playoff in favor of Ohio St.

Now I don't think this same scenario will happen this year but college football and this playoff is all about money. Schools like Ohio State, Alabama, Florida St etc are bigger money teams than Penn State

A&M has the ability to do that. I think they'd have to damn near double his salary to make him think about it. I'm not sure why he would. He can win a national title at the place he's at and routinely compete for playoff spots.

Had this been before they fired Strong, Texas would be outbidding them. For however much A&M could throw, Texas could throw more.

While I have zero love for the cult school in BFE central Pennsylvania, Franklin would be crazy to leave. I'm sure this is a ploy for more money.

The funny part will be Aggie getting publicly rejected.

biggest downside to being Penn State is exactly what happened last year. They beat Ohio St, win the Big 10 and still get shut out of the playoff in favor of Ohio St.

Now I don't think this same scenario will happen this year but college football and this playoff is all about money. Schools like Ohio State, Alabama, Florida St etc are bigger money teams than Penn State

Don't lose to Pitt then :)

Also, I disagree that those teams are "bigger money teams" than Penn St. Ohio St and Alabama I'm sure generate more money at the moment, but that's because they have a recent history of national titles while Penn St had their best season in years just last year.

Penn St has a large, fanatical fanbase that will travel. They have the ability to generate just as much money as Ohio St and Alabama if they start winning like Ohio St and Alabama do, and I bet they generate more money than FSU does right now.

VN Store

Back