Recruiting Forum Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Pretty sure Larry said we talked with Gruden last time and Gruden just kept raising the price and adding demands until UT finally had to walk away.

Maybe it was someone else.

He kind of surprised me tonight, said money won't be a problem. But control will. He believes Gruden wants too much control for some on the hill.

Reactions: 1 person
Let's say Gruden does want to coach Vols. Will ESPN let him out of his contract or does he have to pay them? How does that work?

Some from LWS...

I have a very hard time seeing Gruden being the coach in 2018. No doubt there will be talk about and to him.. just don't see it happening.. Jon doesn't really want this.. and some at UT don't want this..

This is just me not who they might hire because I don't know Currie's thinking.. I like Durkin, Brohm or Norvell... taking into account what I think UT's market is in general..

they don't believe they can control him and don't trust him to do what he is supposed to.. there are rules and regulations and he has said publicly he doesn't believe he could work that way..

I don't think money will be a deal breaker with anyone.. the deal breakers will be how much control they require.. Now I think they will be smart about the money. I don't think they will give someone 7 million just to pay someone high. they will have to believe the return will be there.. They won't risk any amount if they don't believe in the return. As we have seen lately, they have been wrong on the return..

I could see a run at a Patterson, a Fuentes or a Mullen. Depends on your interpretation of a success I guess. can't think of others off top of my head... Not many out West I believe they chase

Hopefully those who don't want to give Gruden control are outnumbered by many more who have seen the previous formula fail many times over the past 10 years- time for a new formula:

Spend the damn money on HC and elite assistants
Bring in a proven winner no up and comers (unless they are named Frost)
Give him the control he asks for so he can run his program effectively

Reactions: 2 people
Didn't Boro say that issue was resolved?

I'm with ziti on this, I don't buy boro being legit as he acts. I'm sure he might know a guy who knows a guy or whatever but he comes off as fake to me. And I don't like to talk sht about people who share info but im more of a use a source or have a proven track record kind of guy. Most of those guys in that thread in the FB forum are just pretending, they're just in it for the fun. JMO.

Some from LWS...

F. That.

This program's fanbase can't take another experiment. Get a proven commodity or they can kiss a lot of season tickets and donations away. Sure, they'll come back if/when they win but I'm over the admin being more f'ing interested in having a coach they can control over one who will WIN.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
I'm with ziti on this, I don't buy boro being legit as he acts. I'm sure he might know a guy who knows a guy or whatever but he comes off as fake to me. And I don't like to talk sht about people who share info but im more of a use a source or have a proven track record kind of guy. Most of those guys in that thread in the FB forum are just pretending, they're just in it for the fun. JMO.
Boro may not be FOS but he's definitely going at this full throttle.

Believe none of what you hear and only half of what you see...

F. That.

This program's fanbase can't take another experiment. Get a proven commodity or they can kiss a lot of season tickets and donations away. Sure, they'll come back if/when they win but I'm over the admin being more f'ing interested in having a coach can control over one who will WIN.

See what happens if they hire Norvell.

Colossal yawn

With that being said, I am waiting on freaking out. None of these guys know what Currie is going to do. He's the X factor. I don't think Gruden is a real thing but there are huge coaches that I could see as real possibilities.

My hope is the powers that be understand the fans are completely fed up.

F. That.

This program's fanbase can't take another experiment. Get a proven commodity or they can kiss a lot of season tickets and donations away. Sure, they'll come back if/when they win but I'm over the admin being more f'ing interested in having a coach they can control over one who will WIN.

The "control" thing cracks me up. Apparently we have some admins/boosters who fancy themselves to be Rothschilds or George Soros or something. Just hire a great football coach, shut up, and let him do his job.

Reactions: 4 people
Hmmm...

If not Gruden then I bet one of the two names is this guy...

DLngFChVwAABfdo.jpg

I'm in the "I'll believe it when he's at the podium," camp in regards to Gruden. That's said, Patterson is tied with Peterson and Kelly at the top of my wishlist.

However, I saw where secking posted that Patterson's father-in-law is on the BOT at TCU. Is this true? If so, I'd have to think the chances of him leaving there are very slim.

Actually, Boro hasn't been dropping much "info" beyond the suggestion that the movers and shakers decided to move on from Butch after UGA. The folks in the Gruden thread are relying primarily on JAV's info on Gruden being target numero uno. Boro has been pretty explicit that he knows no names of potential targets.

I'm in the "I'll believe it when he's at the podium," camp in regards to Gruden. That's said, Patterson is tied with Peterson and Kelly at the top of my wishlist.

However, I saw where secking posted that Patterson's father-in-law is on the BOT at TCU. Is this true? If so, I'd have to think the chances of him leaving there are very slim.

Secking is a Georgia fan. He's going to crap on any possibility of a good hire.

Reactions: 3 people
The "control" thing cracks me up. Apparently we have some admins/boosters who fancy themselves to be Rothschilds or George Soros or something. Just hire a great football coach, shut up, and let him do his job.

I can understand some oversight to keep us out of trouble, and any reasonable candidate should understand that as well. But in regards to other things like hiring and firing, the big wigs really need to compromise if that's what it takes to make something genuinely big happen for the program.

See what happens if they hire Norvell.

Colossal yawn

With that being said, I am waiting on freaking out. None of these guys know what Currie is going to do. He's the X factor. I don't think Gruden is a real thing but there are huge coaches that I could see as real possibilities.

My hope is the powers that be understand the fans are completely fed up.

I tend to use colorful language about issues that I'm passionate about...

That being said, I'll be about as close to being done with this program as I'll ever be of they hire another "yawn" or, so help me "who the hell is that" type hire.

Secking is a Georgia fan. He's going to crap on any possibility of a good hire.

Copy that. I was just wondering if anyone can verify that Patterson's father-in-law is on the BOT at TCU. That's got to put a severe damper on anyone's chances with him, if true.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back