Recruiting Forum Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
Woulda shoulda coulda.............it is what it is. That's what makes the football season. No need in looking back, the future is nowhere

Pics of your trip are great. Glad you guys are having a great time.

eevU5WF.gif

Reactions: 6 people
12-0 in 2015 would have been the best coaching job of all time.

The 2015 team was very close to being great. I don't know what happened between then and 2016, who was very close to being out of a bowl (App St fumble, UGA hail mary, having a big UF comeback even though it was won comfortably)

I agree somewhat. Kingston posting he is a bad fit because he is a strong disciplinarian. Well I think most UT fans understand that one of CBJ's biggest issues is that he has tried to coddle and stroke egos of some talented players and it has led us to where we are at. Our program needs some strong discipline right now.

I don't think Schiano would be a bad hire. I just don't think he's a good fit for Tennessee. He's a fine coach.

He seems like someone Boston College should target.

Has anyone called 1-855-9-GRUDEN yet

While I would be ecstatic if we were to land him , I believe there are real home run hires out there we have a chance with. We have hope this time. No need to believe in fairy tales this go around.

Hubbs is getting worse at this - or he just doesn't care. He did this EXACT same thing with Bob Shoop a full year before we hired him. He also threw out Brady Hoke before we hired him and Mark Helfrich (whom we would have hired had Chip not been fired and asked Mark to hold off on taking another job).

Either Schiano is a legit candidate or he's throwing his name out as a favor to someone whether it be Currie or Sexton.

IMHO... Hubbs floating trial balloons for Currie.

Yeah, I think Azzani was probably better than we gave him credit for. Some of that could have been WRs being young, couple of divas, players not respecting their coaches..... who knows, but we definitely rolled the dice with Beard and that looks like a big downgrade.

I also agree promoting Scott was a horrible idea, because like you said, this isn't the place to try unproven coordinators, especially in a critical year breaking in new QBs. And he hasn't performed well but I still think it isn't all in him.

No one else would take this OC job under Butch .

His hand was forced.

Schiano may be the best thing ever as our HC. But based on what I have seen of him my first impression has been "nope".

Ignore his failing in the NFL. Who wants Rutgers type success? He built it from the ground up. Great. UT's current situation is not worse than post Dooley. We are already where he was at the end at Rutgers and he was in the B10 and not the SEC. OSU had a defensive system before he arrived - he didn't install it. He just administers it and play calls.

I want Gruden, Kelly, Patterson or a young gun that is getting it done with the opportunities he's had. I want Mullen over Schiano. He has a NC ring, QB's that get it done, and loads of SEC experience. We can do much, much better for the same cost.

Reactions: 1 person
We’ll shoot higher and hopefully hit, but to glance at Schiano’s record and summarily dismiss is in essence disregarding coaching evolution. The best there is, Bill Belichick, experienced a mini-failure in Cleveland in his first foray away from Bill Parcells. The best learn from previous mistakes or bad judgements and emerge formidable. Saban was on that first staff in Cleveland and most likely took notes. Speaking of which, Schiano’s “failure” was in the NFL...which puts him in the company of Saban, Chuck Fairbanks, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson and Pete Carroll’s first two efforts...amongst others who flew too close to the sun. His time with Urban Meyer has to have benefitted also. Someone will hire him and imo make others rue passing.

I see nothing in Schiano's resume that gives me any reason to believe he would be the coach we're looking for. Nothing. The only thing he has done that should even give anyone reason to notice him is ONE season at Rutgers. That's it.

The argument that he did that at Rutgers so he'd be even better here is nonsense. We have no reason to believe that. His Rutgers record was vs a weak schedule. How many times has that logic been used and then failed. His schedule here would be much tougher.

The argument that the NFL thought enough of him to hire him is also nonsense because he clearly proved them wrong and was not the hc they thought he was. Maybe he'll be great at OSU, but that's as an assistant.

Will we never learn? We scream for Fulmer's firing and end up with Kiffin, but really Dooley. We scream for Dooley's firing and end up with Jones, whom everyone is screaming to be fired. Now we want Schiano? The history of hiring college football coaches shows that it's not an easy thing to get right. Who knows, he could end up being the best coach we've ever had. But I see zero evidence that he would be as good as probably a dozen others who have been mentioned.

Reactions: 2 people
Schiano may be the best thing ever as our HC. But based on what I have seen of him my first impression has been "nope".

Ignore his failing in the NFL. Who wants Rutgers type success? He built it from the ground up. Great. UT's current situation is not worse than post Dooley. We are already where he was at the end at Rutgers and he was in the B10 and not the SEC. OSU had a defensive system before he arrived - he didn't install it. He just administers it and play calls.

I want Gruden, Kelly, Patterson or a young gun that is getting it done with the opportunities he's had. I want Mullen over Schiano. He has a NC ring, QB's that get it done, and loads of SEC experience. We can do much, much better for the same cost.

Mullen is 100x better than Schiano imo...I truly believe he would be able to do well at UT

I don’t really have great reasoning behind it. He just doesn’t strike me as a HR hire. To be honest, he seems like much more of a risk than Mullen, or even a newer guy like Frost. Look at his overall record. Nothing about his track record suggests to me that he will be a success at UT. Jmo though...What about this guy makes you believe he will be any better than Butch?

This isn't a rebuild. This is a take it to the next level hire. Let's get a guy in here that can take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his. If this AD is competent, which I'm starting to believe it finally is, they shouldn't have a problem finding the guy who can take it to the next level. Kelly, Patterson, Frost, Mullen, and Brohm I feel can all get us there, among others. Odds are one of those guys will be our next head coach IMO.

Wtf just happened at the end of the half in this NFL game?

5 seconds left and no TOs and the panthers don't try a 57 yard FG nor do they throw the ball into the endzone

Bizarre

This isn't a rebuild. This is a take it to the next level hire. Let's get a guy in here that can take his and beat yours and take yours and beat his. If this AD is competent, which I'm starting to believe it finally is, they shouldn't have a problem finding the guy who can take it to the next level. Kelly, Patterson, Frost, Mullen, and Brohm I feel can all get us there, among others. Odds are one of those guys will be our next head coach IMO.

I’m not as big on Brohm as others, but I would take him over Schiano.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back