Recruiting Forum Talk XXXVIII

Status
Not open for further replies.
I would take Schiano over any coordinator mentioned. He was Brent Venables in the 90's. He did the impossible and made Rutgers football matter for a minute.

Yeah Tampa hated him because he was an authoritarian. NFL players hate that. I don't know about y'all but our locker room is starved for discipline.

Still want Kelly, Patterson, Frost, or Mullen BUT we could do a ton worse than Greg Schiano.

I agree somewhat. Kingston posting he is a bad fit because he is a strong disciplinarian. Well I think most UT fans understand that one of CBJ's biggest issues is that he has tried to coddle and stroke egos of some talented players and it has led us to where we are at. Our program needs some strong discipline right now.

Reactions: 1 person
butch is a one step forward, two steps back guy. He seems to win one he shouldn't every year and lose two he shouldn't.

Erase a single bad loss from every season he's been here and he's sitting pretty right now, imo.

2013: Vu
2014: Uf
2015: Ou or uf
2016: Usc or vandy
2017: Uf

a coach who meets expectations would have those wins under his belt.
100%

I agree somewhat. Kingston posting he is a bad fit because he is a strong disciplinarian. Well I think most UT fans understand that one of CBJ's biggest issues is that he has tried to coddle and stroke egos of some talented players and it has led us to where we are at. Our program needs some strong discipline right now.

A coaching hire is supposed to be a long-term thing, though. You can't hire a dude just because he's able to fix one problem in the locker room. I would imagine any worthwhile coach will be able to instill discipline back into the program. The team was very disciplined under Butch for a while.

Needs to be a multi-faceted hire. Generally just looking at a guy's W/L record will tell you if he's capable of checking off all the boxes you look for in a coach, because guys aren't successful for very long if they aren't.

I would take Schiano over any coordinator mentioned. He was Brent Venables in the 90's. He did the impossible and made Rutgers football matter for a minute.

Yeah Tampa hated him because he was an authoritarian. NFL players hate that. I don't know about y'all but our locker room is starved for discipline.

Still want Kelly, Patterson, Frost, or Mullen BUT we could do a ton worse than Greg Schiano.

We’ll shoot higher and hopefully hit, but to glance at Schiano’s record and summarily dismiss is in essence disregarding coaching evolution. The best there is, Bill Belichick, experienced a mini-failure in Cleveland in his first foray away from Bill Parcells. The best learn from previous mistakes or bad judgements and emerge formidable. Saban was on that first staff in Cleveland and most likely took notes. Speaking of which, Schiano’s “failure” was in the NFL...which puts him in the company of Saban, Chuck Fairbanks, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson and Pete Carroll’s first two efforts...amongst others who flew too close to the sun. His time with Urban Meyer has to have benefitted also. Someone will hire him and imo make others rue passing.

Reactions: 2 people
We’ll shoot higher and hopefully hit, but to glance at Schiano’s record and summarily dismiss is in essence disregarding coaching evolution. The best there is, Bill Belichick, experienced a mini-failure in Cleveland in his first foray away from Bill Parcells. The best learn from previous mistakes or bad judgements and emerge formidable. Saban was on that first staff in Cleveland and most likely took notes. Speaking of which, Schiano’s “failure” was in the NFL...which puts him in the company of Saban, Chuck Fairbanks, Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Dennis Erickson and Pete Carroll’s first two efforts...amongst others who flew too close to the sun. His time with Urban Meyer has to have benefitted also. Someone will hire him and imo make others rue passing.
giphy.gif

Reactions: 6 people
The proverbial last straw?

Would have been huge to get to our first Sugar Bowl in 26 years. That, combined with having ended the streak against UF and beating Georgia like we did might have made me feel pretty good about last year. Still didn't achieve what we could have, but I'd put a fair amount of stock in getting us to the Sugar Bowl, as I'd have killed for that somewhere between 2011-2014.

A coaching hire is supposed to be a long-term thing, though. You can't hire a dude just because he's able to fix one problem in the locker room. I would imagine any worthwhile coach will be able to instill discipline back into the program. The team was very disciplined under Butch for a while.

Needs to be a multi-faceted hire. Generally just looking at a guy's W/L record will tell you if he's capable of checking off all the boxes you look for in a coach, because guys aren't successful for very long if they aren't.

This is why I think 2015 was our best year under CBJ. The close losses that year in many circles, especially media circles, was hung around his neck and it's possible that's what led to the supposed loss of "discipline" the next year. He had a credibility issue after 2015 with a lot of pundits and an increasing number of fans. One can wonder how much if any that filtered into the locker room. Whatever happened, I get the sense that there's a perception the inmates took over the asylum sometime shortly after the 2015 season and before the start of 2016.

I am just so pissed off at this season. I want to go on the field and just start hitting people. Wish some of our guys had half the fire. Tired of a puss coach and a puss team. Now seeing backpacks with cats and just can't understand all the puss going around this team. They have been compromised by Catbone. It's over!

You know I'm just messing with you. I'm several beers in on an island in the Caribbean so I gave zero culpability in regards to what I post. You know I love you, man. No homo.

JAllen you had previously said the boosters wanted Kelly- is he still on their wish list as well or have they moved on from him? I would take Gruden over anyone in a heartbeat and it's not even a contest- just wondering who else is on their radar? Patterson? Frost? Brohm?

If you think about it. This team was very very close to being 6-6 last year. UGA and App state could have certainly been losses. App state lucky bounce. UGA lucky Hail Mary. If you throw in Florida we could have ended up with a change this past year.

And you can easily flip it around and say we should have beat SoCar and A&M and finish 10-2.

JAllen you had previously said the boosters wanted Kelly- is he still on their wish list as well or have they moved on from him? I would take Gruden over anyone in a heartbeat and it's not even a contest- just wondering who else is on their radar? Patterson? Frost? Brohm?

Why do you pretend like you’re asking questions? :question:

Reactions: 4 people
This is why I think 2015 was our best year under CBJ. The close losses that year in many circles, especially media circles, was hung around his neck and it's possible that's what led to the supposed loss of "discipline" the next year. He had a credibility issue after 2015 with a lot of pundits and an increasing number of fans. One can wonder how much if any that filtered into the locker room. Whatever happened, I get the sense that there's a perception the inmates took over the asylum sometime shortly after the 2015 season and before the start of 2016.

I agree. Have thought that for a while. If he stayed the course I think 2016 would have been a dominant season. 10-2 or 11-1. He just had a lot of bad luck in 2015 that was aided by some bad coaching decisions. But it seems like he changed his philosophy and believed that with all he had coming back, he could cater to the players and try to prevent injuries and just roll over the East.

I agree with your sentiment. Just stating that it is a dumb reason to think he is a bad fit. Like one poster said, the primary issue in the NFL for him was the same issue that plagued Saban. I don't agree with your assertion that simply looking at W/L record tells you what you are getting. Context is key. Not all jobs are equal in terms of resources.

I think coaching ability is best looked at according to these conditions; what is his record in games where his team had more talent, record in games where his team was relatively equal in talent, and record when his team was at a talent disadvantage. If you can check the box in those first two categories then they got a chance to be successful if there is a a plan to recruiting successfully.

I agree. Have thought that for a while. If he stayed the course I think 2016 would have been a dominant season. 10-2 or 11-1. He just had a lot of bad luck in 2015 that was aided by some bad coaching decisions. But it seems like he changed his philosophy and believed that with all he had coming back, he could cater to the players and try to prevent injuries and just roll over the East.

My preseason Thread for 2016. :)

Seems like such a long time ago.

Talent, Returning Production, Experience, Coaching

You know I'm just messing with you. I'm several beers in on an island in the Caribbean so I gave zero culpability in regards to what I post. You know I love you, man. No homo.

No offense was taken from any poster. Just find the state of the program offensive unless, of course, we have the dang ball.

Reactions: 2 people
Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back