Trump just solved health care

I have seen you bring up zoning a couple times, what is your issue with it ?

They'll will try and reduce the number of facilities and doctors in an area - less competition. Then they more or less collude as well, as they are sometimes under the same umbrellas - so what you think is separate entity really isn't.

So, the website I posted earlier, by-pass (I think for triple, its not on their now, that is for just the surgery) $10k, I'm not sure of the exact cost for my dad but his total cost was $175k (that included 36-40 hours in the hospital).

I've never been a fan of zoning nor professional licensing. Eliminate both and keep more people out of jail.

professional licensing isn't about keeping people from working. it stops fraud, claiming to be something you aren't. well i guess it doesn't stop it, its just another control, and seeing as how the industry does that I figure you would be for it since it keeps it out of the governments hands. I deal with plenty of unlicensed folks in a heavily licensed field.

professional licensing isn't about keeping people from working. it stops fraud, claiming to be something you aren't. well i guess it doesn't stop it, its just another control, and seeing as how the industry does that I figure you would be for it since it keeps it out of the governments hands. I deal with plenty of unlicensed folks in a heavily licensed field.

It limits competition by creating additional barriers to entry. If I want to go to a witch doctor with no degree, it's my right.

They'll will try and reduce the number of facilities and doctors in an area - less competition. Then they more or less collude as well, as they are sometimes under the same umbrellas - so what you think is separate entity really isn't.

So, the website I posted earlier, by-pass (I think for triple, its not on their now, that is for just the surgery) $10k, I'm not sure of the exact cost for my dad but his total cost was $175k (that included 36-40 hours in the hospital).

so you really have no idea how zoning works. thanks for playing. Its an incredibly heavy public process.

I haven't read this EO yet, but from what I have learned it allows insurance companies to sell in any state and also allows for groups to band together and buy insurance in bulk.
At first glance what is wrong with it?

It limits competition by creating additional barriers to entry. If I want to go to a witch doctor with no degree, it's my right.

There are some professions where licensing is needed. However there are way to many professions that local and state governments require to be licensed. WTF does a hairdresser need a license?

so you really have no idea how zoning works. thanks for playing. Its an incredibly heavy public process.

He's right on one thing, zoning is used to protect existing businesses from competition. Especially in small(ish) towns.

There are some professions where licensing is needed. However there are way to many professions that local and state governments require to be licensed. WTF does a hairdresser need a license?

It probably goes back to when sick people used to go to barber shops to get "bled" to remove the toxins from their body.

Reactions: 1 person
He's right on one thing, zoning is used to protect existing businesses from competition. Especially in small(ish) towns.

1. that's either terribly written zoning.
2. people have no idea how to work with zoning

It would cost you about 1000 bucks to hire someone at my office to get that changed, and that just because they set a minimum number or its not worth our time. I am not even a planner and I have done it.

zoning has to have public involvement and buy off when it happens, federal laws. Anyone can go in there and get things changed, business owners are typically given a lot of leeway, cities want it for tax revenue, which is usually enough to make any collusion not likely especially on a large hospital. Typically if its zoning stopping a business/anything from going in its because the public made it a priority. otherwise it is way to easy to sue. depending on your area I could probably find a lawyer real quick that will sniff that out real fast.

Almost all local and state government business is public - so? Not only is it usually open to the public, you have open meetings and open records laws, again so?

Thank you for playing.

That is why you have stuff like this going on in Tennessee, against the wishes of the locals.
Save the Nolichucky

Being public has no bearing on anything, not really.

Last edited:
1. that's either terribly written zoning.
2. people have no idea how to work with zoning

It would cost you about 1000 bucks to hire someone at my office to get that changed, and that just because they set a minimum number or its not worth our time. I am not even a planner and I have done it.

zoning has to have public involvement and buy off when it happens, federal laws. Anyone can go in there and get things changed, business owners are typically given a lot of leeway, cities want it for tax revenue, which is usually enough to make any collusion not likely especially on a large hospital. Typically if its zoning stopping a business/anything from going in its because the public made it a priority. otherwise it is way to easy to sue. depending on your area I could probably find a lawyer real quick that will sniff that out real fast.

Here is Sumner County a company purchased some land with the intention of operating a quarry and cement plant. The land is zoned for the intended use.

Well guess what? The permits were denied after heavy pressure from the nearest quarry operator and the two ready mix plants. The local judge who heard the appeal is quoted in court saying "as long as I'm a judge there will not be a quarry there. I don't care what it's zoned for".

Maybe in a large city this doesn't come to play often but it sure does in some of the smaller towns.

It's a separate license to braid also. And another to shave (barber).

A lot of times those local business owners form your business bureau too.

I feel like you don't understand licensing.

Not hard to understand the free market. If you want to see a witch doctor, you pay him, he sees you. Government doesn't stop you. I pay out of pocket to see providers not in my network. If I want to see a witch doctor or counseling from a Wiccan, I pay them. Licensing doesn't have a thing to do with it.

Remember Obama said if you like your doctor ...
Has absolutely nothing to do with this discussion. Appears that his premise was that the government or his insurance company wouldn't let him see a witch doctor. That is absurd. If you are willing to pay the fee, you can see whoever you want, licensed or unlicensed, nobody is stopping you if that's what you want. Unless you want the government to include witch doctors as minimal essential benefits.

Almost all local and state government business is public - so? Not only is it usually open to the public, you have open meetings and open records laws, again so?

Thank you for playing.

That is why you have stuff like this going on in Tennessee, against the wishes of the locals.
Save the Nolichucky

Being public has no bearing on anything, not really.

so you are going with people don't know zoning. gotcha. its a tool like anything else, just because you don't know how to use it and someone else takes advantage doesn't make it a bad tool.

Here is Sumner County a company purchased some land with the intention of operating a quarry and cement plant. The land is zoned for the intended use.

Well guess what? The permits were denied after heavy pressure from the nearest quarry operator and the two ready mix plants. The local judge who heard the appeal is quoted in court saying "as long as I'm a judge there will not be a quarry there. I don't care what it's zoned for".

Maybe in a large city this doesn't come to play often but it sure does in some of the smaller towns.

like I said, want the name of a good lawyer? I doubt we work with anyone in the area but it wouldn't be to hard to find someone who would work the case.

and thats not a case of zoning failing. thats a case of government failing. in particular the judiciary. what you described actually flies in the face of ZONING keeping competition down.

I feel like you don't understand licensing.

I don't think you understand what is being said.

Nothing stopping you from seeing a witch doctor about your health. only thing being stopped is that witch doctor working or advertising as a medical professional.

just like me I can't advertise or sell my work as "architecture", I am not licensed. I can do everything an architect can except stamp drawings. I can work on someone's house no problem, nothing stopping that interaction. Heck I can do a full set of drawings on any project I want, you would just have to find someone willing to stamp it to get it approved, and there is plenty of that too.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back