Butch has lost even the apologists

The Tall Gguy

Bucket of Lightbulbs
It seems the Butch apologists have gone into hiding. It happened with Fulmer, it happened with Dooley.
I believe it is time for a change...but is there anyone left who still thinks butch is the right man for the job?

Reactions: 2 people
No, it's been building up to this point.

ZxooZFn.jpg

Reactions: 13 people
I've been on and off the site purt near all day and a few still have his back. Negas have backed off a little only because it's a bye week and most everything has been said. Not sure what this weekend will bring but most are expecting the playcalling to suit JG and heavy to Kelly. Just wait and see for now.

Reactions: 7 people
It seems the Butch apologists have gone into hiding. It happened with Fulmer, it happened with Dooley.
I believe it is time for a change...but is there anyone left who still thinks butch is the right man for the job?

Only the few misguided souls who think they must support the coach to the bitter end

There is honestly nothing left to say on either side. Personally I think he should go. When? When we find a better coach. Do I have faith the admins will get this done? No. We're up the creek without a paddle and I fear the misery will continue with or without Butch. :cray:

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
I don't think he's the right man for the job but I don't like getting personal and taking shots at him anonymously and the feeling of ganging up on him. "It's just a message board" some say but it's being published for the whole world to see. I believe he has worked hard and is trying, and I appreciate the effort. I think playing in the SEC and particularly being measured against Alabama every year that we need a top level coach and Butch hasn't proven to be it. I just don't want to get on a public forum and spew hate.

Reactions: 41 people
Butch was given 5 years and the Vols are not better. All the players are his so you can't blame Dooley. Spend the money and get a big name coach like... Gruden!

Reactions: 4 people
Butch was given 5 years and the Vols are not better. All the players are his so you can't blame Dooley. Spend the money and get a big name coach like... Gruden!

I would not go as far as to say we are not better...but we are definitely not where we should be.

Reactions: 3 people
I still support coach until he no longer is coach. I will always support the program.

Your hate has you thinking you are a majority just because of a silly forum where you congregate like fish in a mud hole.

Reactions: 36 people
I still support coach until he no longer is coach. I will always support the program.

Your hate has you thinking you are a majority just because of a silly forum where you congregate like fish in a mud hole.

I hate to tell you bud but every poll I've seen on the issue of whether Butch should stay or not has been overwhelmingly in favor of him going and sooner than later. And where else do you expect to find a bigger congregation of fans than on fan forums or fan pages? If you want to ride Butch until he sinks the ship, no one's stopping you. There are many of us that want excellence on the field, something that comes at a premium lately with our football team. You can't determine who is a fan by whether they support a coach or not. We don't like the direction of this football team and we are voicing our displeasure with it. We basically have no offense outside of John Kelly but we have all this talent. Where is it? This isn't the fan's doing, we buy what they sell and without fans there's no football team, no NCAA, NFL, MLB, etc. If anybody has reason to complain, it is the fan base.

Supporting the program includes striving for excellence rather than settling for mediocrity.

GO BIG ORANGE!

I think Saturday's attendance will show you how much support he still has

Reactions: 1 person
Just wait till he beats bammer

So what would the feeling on VN be if that happened? I doubt anyone expected ISU to beat OU at home...things happen in football. Just wondering aloud.

As a corollary, what if we beat Bama and ruined their season, but still lost to SC and Vandy this year? Would it be worth it?

Amazingly, he still has the support of many. I believe some of them think if you don't support the coach, you aren't supporting the team.

The rest of them are either really stupid or addicted to mediocrity.

Reactions: 1 person
A soldier's ultimate loyalty is to the Constitution. That's what he supports and defends.

That doesn't prevent him from showing loyalty to his teammates, his leaders, and his commander-in-chief (the President) as well.

In the same way, you don't pick and choose your loyalty as a Vols fan. Loyalty to the program is at the base, but--in my opinion--you show loyalty to the players and coaches as well. As long as they're ours, won't disrespect them. Won't bad talk them, denigrate them, insult them. Honest and thoughtful criticism is always fair, but hate-driven bile is not. Not as long as they wear orange.

So sure, I think it's time for the team to go in a different direction for our leadership, but as long as Butch is wearing orange, I'll show the man respect.

My biggest disappointment this season--bigger than losing to FL and UGa, bigger than the realization that we do need a new coaching staff--is discovering just how big a part of our on-line fan base do not get loyalty at all. I honestly, truly thought better of us as a group than we're turning out to be. I'm just hoping it's an anomaly that comes with internet use, that most Vols fans are more reasonable and good-hearted.

Reactions: 16 people
A soldier's ultimate loyalty is to the Constitution. That's what he supports and defends.

That doesn't prevent him from showing loyalty to his teammates, his leaders, and his commander-in-chief (the President) as well.

In the same way, you don't pick and choose your loyalty as a Vols fan. Loyalty to the program is at the base, but--in my opinion--you show loyalty to the players and coaches as well. As long as they're ours, won't disrespect them. Won't bad talk them, denigrate them, insult them. Honest and thoughtful criticism is always fair, but hate-driven bile is not. Not as long as they wear orange.

So sure, I think it's time for the team to go in a different direction for our leadership, but as long as Butch is wearing orange, I'll show the man respect.

My biggest disappointment this season--bigger than losing to FL and UGa, bigger than the realization that we do need a new coaching staff--is discovering just how big a part of our on-line fan base do not get loyalty at all. I honestly, truly thought better of us as a group than we're turning out to be. I'm just hoping it's an anomaly that comes with internet use, that most Vols fans are more reasonable and good-hearted.

Seriously? Comparing this to the Constitution, the president, etc... Methinks we are going a smidge overboard.

Reactions: 5 people

WTF does it matter? You get a cheap thrill out of bashing those who supported Butch? So now we not all VOL fans on equal footing, we are those who supported Butch and those who did not? GTFOH.

Here's a news flash Skippy, people are sometimes wrong. What? Really? Some people probably hang on too long, but IMO that's better than people like your sorry butt who probably ***** and moan and jump ship at the first site of something no rainbows and butterflies.

I support my team 100% and that usually means supporting the coach. Unlike some on here I've never, ever pulled for them to lose just so we can fire a coach.

Oh and to answer your question, no I no longer think Butch is the answer. Happy Skippy?

Reactions: 12 people
Seriously? Comparing this to the Constitution, the president, etc... Methinks we are going a smidge overboard.

Yeah, analogies are hard for some people. If you can't wrap your brain around things working the same way even when they're different, you won't get it.

If you think I'm saying these have the same level of importance, you didn't get it.

Reactions: 14 people
I don't think he's the right man for the job but I don't like getting personal and taking shots at him anonymously and the feeling of ganging up on him. "It's just a message board" some say but it's being published for the whole world to see. I believe he has worked hard and is trying, and I appreciate the effort. I think playing in the SEC and particularly being measured against Alabama every year that we need a top level coach and Butch hasn't proven to be it. I just don't want to get on a public forum and spew hate.

Agree 100%. Too many using their twisted humor & self-styled expertise, some hoping Vols lose to prove their point.

Reactions: 6 people

VN Store

Back