UFC Thread

Lol.

I'm not even a Jones fan. I love watching him fight, but he deserves to never fight again because of his stupidity. Sonnen's story though? Creative but part of me doubts it went down like that.

That's the problem. IMO People love to watch him fight so he keeps getting passes. Fighting and me not liking him aside, he needs to get his life together.

That's the problem. IMO People love to watch him fight so he keeps getting passes. Fighting and me not liking him aside, he needs to get his life together.

Yeah, for the sport but even more for Jones himself, I hope he leaves forever. As much as I dislike Cormier, he's a good champ.

Yeah, for the sport but even more for Jones himself, I hope he leaves forever. As much as I dislike Cormier, he's a good champ.

I've seen people and been that guy with a destructive nature, I see that in Jones. That's the sad state of society, we will ignore or push aside those issues if you entertain us. I don't want anyone destroying their lives, dislike or not.

Mighty Mouse got $300k + points on the PPV. Ferguson made $500k. Times are changing a little bit. Meanwhile Rory McDonald is unhappy with Bellator for not scheduling his next fight until January (he fought in May).

They gotta change this.

Scary Scene at MMA Weigh-In as Barely Conscious Fighter Is Carried onto Scale | Bleacher Report

My solution is to weigh the fighter periodically during the lead up to the fight. Something like three weeks out, start weighing them 2x a week and say you are a lightweight, you gotta be within 5 lbs of fight weight every time. It will force fighters to be healthier.

These fight cancellations because of weight cuts are ridiculous and somebody is going to die of organ failure.

I know the UFC is afraid to water down the significance of the belt (which could be argued has already happened). You have 2 pretty simple solutions.

1)Monitor weight for the month leading up. If a fighter is x % too far over a week or two weeks out, then no fight. This will stop people like Kevin Lee cutting 20 pounds in a day or so.

2) Change the divisions altogether. 135, 145, 155, 165, 175, 185, 195, 205, and then heavyweight.

How does #2 fix anything? Doesn't it just shift the goal posts? Kevin Lee still tries to fight at 155, whether WW is 165 or 170, right?

While we're on the topic, I would really like to see a 240 lb division and move heavyweight up to 275.

How does #2 fix anything? Doesn't it just shift the goal posts? Kevin Lee still tries to fight at 155, whether WW is 165 or 170, right?

While we're on the topic, I would really like to see a 240 lb division and move heavyweight up to 275.

You can solve the problem by handling it the way amateur wrestling does. You weigh in at a starting point and pass a hydration test. Then there is a period of time where you can move up or down in weight from there. You cannot cut a bunch of weight for the first way in because you will not pass the hydration test. It would mean most voters (edit: fighters) could not cut more than 5 to 10 pounds to fight from there walking around weights

Last edited:

It doesn't fix the problem directly, but you would hope guys like Lee would choose 165 over 155. But there would have to be a motivation for moving up.

They gotta change this.

Scary Scene at MMA Weigh-In as Barely Conscious Fighter Is Carried onto Scale | Bleacher Report

My solution is to weigh the fighter periodically during the lead up to the fight. Something like three weeks out, start weighing them 2x a week and say you are a lightweight, you gotta be within 5 lbs of fight weight every time. It will force fighters to be healthier.

These fight cancellations because of weight cuts are ridiculous and somebody is going to die of organ failure.
Or just have guys fight at their actual weight

How would you make a rule for that? Do you mean you just weigh in at fight time?

I heard Rogan talking about it on his podcast but I will need to go back and listen. Basically he believes his idea would reduce last minute drop outs and make fighting more fair for fighters that don't drop weight to make cut

I heard Rogan talking about it on his podcast but I will need to go back and listen. Basically he believes his idea would reduce last minute drop outs and make fighting more fair for fighters that don't drop weight to make cut

I think it all depends on what makes fighters be their best. I doubt walking around weight is anybody's best self. I think a modest weight cut makes them be their best.

Cormier:

I think [Ferguson] is really good. I think his cardio and pace are fantastic. I believe he makes some mistakes that would really cost him against Conor,. Oh my goodness, do you see how high he’s holding his chin up when he’s throwing punches. You do that against McGregor, you’re getting sniped. You’re getting sniped!

VN Store

Back