Fall softball

Nickid1975

Starts with a DH this Sunday......great chance to see the highly ranked,but small,incoming class led by Gabby Sprang. She is a talented tall lefty....should be a,welcome addition to round out a strong pitching staff....

Reactions: 1 person
Couple of staff changes...

Ashley Andrews out as Dir of Ops. Melissa Brown in (was at LSU last year in same role)

Madison Shipman out as volunteer coach. No replacement named.

The upcoming season holds a lot of promise for the softball team. First time it looks like we have enough pitching and almost everyone back in the lineup hopefully a great season coming.

Reactions: 3 people
No Maddy Shipman? Wow. I envisioned her becoming an official assistant coach at some point and maybe a future head coach--and maybe she yet will. Ralph is certainly up there in age and I can see him retiring before long with Karen staying on as head with another assistant. Shipman's California connections would certainly help with recruiting. But if you are not getting paid, and I assume as a volunteer coach she wasn't, you've got to find a job that does pay.

As for this year's team, let's hope Sprang is the real deal--and if she is, our pitching should be good. Hitting I'm not so sure about. Too many lefty hitters and too few right-hand hitters; indeed, we don't really have a single dependable right-side hitter, do we? McSwain probably won't start; Lockman is slowly improving, it seems, but from a low base; and there is the other righty transfer from Buffalo who played part-time last year who might yet be a good hitter. We've got a very nice top of the lineup but the bottom half remains a major question.

No Maddy Shipman? Wow. I envisioned her becoming an official assistant coach at some point and maybe a future head coach--and maybe she yet will. Ralph is certainly up there in age and I can see him retiring before long with Karen staying on as head with another assistant. Shipman's California connections would certainly help with recruiting. But if you are not getting paid, and I assume as a volunteer coach she wasn't, you've got to find a job that does pay.

As for this year's team, let's hope Sprang is the real deal--and if she is, our pitching should be good. Hitting I'm not so sure about. Too many lefty hitters and too few right-hand hitters; indeed, we don't really have a single dependable right-side hitter, do we? McSwain probably won't start; Lockman is slowly improving, it seems, but from a low base; and there is the other righty transfer from Buffalo who played part-time last year who might yet be a good hitter. We've got a very nice top of the lineup but the bottom half remains a major question.

Yes I will miss Madison. Her sister will be here next year as the catcher so I hope Madison has left for a real job in the area. I agree that our right hand hitters are basically none to a couple of possibilities. I have wanted a lefty pitcher since we have had none since Monica and Spring should help in that regard. Pitching should be a strong point again. We will be better all the way around this year I think and would hope Megan Gregg would continue her AA form. Hopefully Seagrenn will be a much better hitter and we need her bat badly. The outfield will be solid even without the departed Geer. If Lockman does not lock the catcher position up with hitting we may have to have a new comer there and first base still in my opinion a question mark. That position must have a hitter regardless of who it is.

Last edited:

Weimer is the NY player. Haven't looked yet to see if any of the freshmen are RH.

The volunteer coaches only get paid through camps they work. It's not much money. Maddi may still coach here. Her sister is still committed and family has a home here, too.

Heard that an offer has been made for a new volunteer coach, but not finalized.

Looking forward to fall ball.

I watched sprang and Amanda Aylia(sp) in the AA game both are great! Sprang walked her first batter nerves I guess but then struck out and had ground outs for the rest of the batters if I remember correctly...she struck out different batters with different pitches it was neat to see that I remember seeing a drop ball, rise ball, curve ball for the k's....Amanda came to bat and just got hits with runners on base if I remember correctly she was something like 1-2 with 2 rbi's...this freshman class should add a great deal to the team already....I'll try and find a link to the game I watched

Last edited:
At 17:05 is AA first at bat
35:35 Sprang starts pitching
1 hr AA bats again
1 hr 15 Sprang re-enters to pitch again

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yaAn70pTBPw

Sprang looked good in the one inning I watched--a lot of movement on her pitches and two Ks. And Ayala looked good in both her at-bats--seems to go with the pitch nicely, has a nice controlled swing; looks to be an average hitter (we hope) as opposed to power hitter. She is yet another left-hand hitter, alas.

Last edited:
From what I've heard, Madison left because there was an understanding that Ralph would retire soon and she would step in as an assistant. But Ralph is staying on board so she can't wait any longer being an unpaid coach. Take it for what it's worth...

From what I've heard, Madison left because there was an understanding that Ralph would retire soon and she would step in as an assistant. But Ralph is staying on board so she can't wait any longer being an unpaid coach. Take it for what it's worth...

because that was the my (vague) sense of what the coaches might have in mind. Still, I'm not surprised that Ralph wants to stay on, and I'm not surprised Shipman left. Nobody can work without getting paid. I think it's a very definite future loss for the program--as we're talking about a former AA player who has a lot going for her.

because that was the my (vague) sense of what the coaches might have in mind. Still, I'm not surprised that Ralph wants to stay on, and I'm not surprised Shipman left. Nobody can work without getting paid. I think it's a very definite future loss for the program--as we're talking about a former AA player who has a lot going for her.

We have to remember also that Madison is a married woman now and they may want children. Not sure what her husband does but with the whole family moving here when Allie gets here I would suspect Maddy will stay relatively close to the LV program. JMHO:lolabove:

I certainly think the door is open if there were a paid assistant position in the future. Shipman still lives TN and will live in Knox and has offered to help in a pinch.

Sometimes, I think players burn out a bit, too. They just want to do something besides softball for a while.

Not a definite loss. She's open to returning. Still LOVES TN!

And she did get paid through working camps, etc. It's not a big salary & benefits, but tolerable.

Definitely agree she has a lot going for her. She would already make a great coach for some programs.

The bottom half of the Vols lineup, whoever is in there, will have to be a lot better than last year if we hope to be a serious contender. Our top 4 hitters were boss--but after them we had problems the really cost us games. The coaches ought to be working with McSwain to shorten her swing--would have started as a freshman. Might be too late now, but I'd try.

The bottom half of the Vols lineup, whoever is in there, will have to be a lot better than last year if we hope to be a serious contender. Our top 4 hitters were boss--but after them we had problems the really cost us games. The coaches ought to be working with McSwain to shorten her swing--would have started as a freshman. Might be too late now, but I'd try.

I canNOT believe you had anything positive to actually say lol... well done !

You and I agree more than we disagree on the softball team as a whole. I agree that the bottom half of last year killed us on the offensive side of the ball. First base, third base and the catcher position really did not hit well at all. I really think we can not do worse this year and if a freshman steps up to push someone at first and catcher we will be better overall. Seggren (sp) is locked in at third as her defense is nearly flawless. If they get her settled in she can be a good hitter with some power. Last year as a freshman she was overwhelmed by D1 pitching. Our pitching staff should be much better if Spring lives up to expectations. I have begged for a lefty since Monica left and now I think this addition will win many games.JMHO

I guess that we must assume from his long absence from posting on the forum that our #1 LV softball fan will be watching games from now on from the skybox seats in Heaven.

We miss you LVJeff.

Let's play two

I guess that we must assume from his long absence from posting on the forum that our #1 LV softball fan will be watching games from now on from the skybox seats in Heaven.

We miss you LVJeff.

Let's play two

What would make us assume such? Was he sick? Not asking with any edge of hostility, just curious. Isn't he Melissa Davin's dad?

Is anybody at Sherri Parker Lee today by chance to catch today's fall opener? If not, anybody know if we'll get score updates via Twitter maybe? I know radio and tv broadcasts are a no-go.

No, he wasn't her dad and he was an elderly man in not the best health if I remember correctly.

Forgot my phone, so I couldn't post any scores. Nice crowd...750+ all trying to get in the shady seats.

Thought the freshmen looked terrific. Morgan looks to be new 1B. Strong bat, athletic.

Bearden only player to hit a HR, and she hit 2. Lot of power in all her cuts at the ball.

Shortstop Gregg's grandfather had been ill & passed away late Sat. Family decided he'd have wanted her to play. She had a couple of strong hits, but teams mostly pitched around her.

All 3 pitchers looked strong. Moss definitely the leader. Not many walks, but again it was not SEC competition.

Vines & Huffstetler have had offseason surgeries and DNP.

India Chiles (TNSB slapper legend) is the new Volunteer Assistant, taking over the position Shipman held.

TN won big in both games. They eventually turned off the scoreboard, but it was fun to see all the players play and in different combinations.

Fans were into it. Hot day and no concessions, but it didn't dampen the enthusiasm.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back