Daniel Hood says defense not a Sunseri year

Reactions: 5 people
I'm willing to side with Hood on this one. If the Gators go through the D like a hot knife through butter (God forbid), then it's time to worry. Nothing I saw from Florida's offense after the first series against Michigan was very impressive. They have had some time to prepare, but so have the Vols. I'm sticking with my prediction, 24-13 Big Orange.

Reactions: 8 people
I'm not bailing until after the Florida game.
I'm not bailing until.. ever because i'm a VFL. Real fans stick with their team thick and thin. You ain't gotta be happy with losing but you still support your team through the dark times.

I am and always be a fan of the Vol's, the Lakers and the Niners. My pro interests my move a bit year to year based mostly on Vol's on their roster but there will never be a day I give up on my Vols. I cannot hold anyone else to that standard because its me but you do earn a spock eye sir

1vr29b.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 16 people
I'm not bailing until after the Florida game.
All righty then. I'm not bailing. Period. For those who haven't recognized that there was no reason whatsoever to reveal to floorduh any...that's none ...zilch...nada...of Shoop's coverages or blitz schemes, or of Scott's formations or patterns or blocking schemes... well...wake up. Name me any HC who would when it's not at all necessary. Negas in 3..2..1.........

Reactions: 3 people
But it is not time to panic in the eyes of former Tennessee defensive lineman Daniel Hood, who played under Butch Jones in 2013.
“I just do not think there is anything you can really tell about them now,” Hood told Saturday Down South of the defense through two games. “We do not know if they are good, and we do not know if they are bad.”
Facing the triple option offense in Week 1 against Georgia Tech and then with a short turnaround to get ready for FCS Indiana State in Week 2 leaves a lot of unknowns.
“You cannot really grade them off Georgia Tech,” Hood said.
The comparison is similar to when Alabama surrendered 341 total yards to Georgia Southern in 2011, with 302 coming on the ground against the triple-option offense.
“It is like trying to grade Alabama off their performance against Georgia Southern. Not saying that Tennessee is Alabama by any stretch, but the three games in 13 days is what it is, and you are not going to game-plan as much for Indiana State. Let’s be honest, Tennessee should roll out there and do anything and probably win that game fairly easily like they did.”

Hood nailed it. We won't know how good or bad our D is till this weekend. I'm willing to bet we won't be lining up a yard of the line, and I expect our corners and D-Line to play a lot more aggressive.

Reactions: 2 people
One thing that could make a difference this week is who becomes the critical performer on D. Jumper was it vs GT. Without GT, ISU wouldn't be scrutinized so closely.

This week the "man in the middle" is more Gaulden than Jumper. The previous two offenses minimized the impact of the nickel. UF should give UT's secondary a chance to play faster and assert itself

Shoop was a hot commodity for a reason. His defenses at Penn State and Vandy were really good. Remember it was his play calling that embarrassed us in Neyland back in 2013. Our D was actually pretty good last season till the injury bug bit. If we come out and play shy, timid ball Saturday then my opinion on Shoops ability may change but as of right now I still believe he's the real deal.

Reactions: 7 people
Playing off the ball makes perfect since aginst tech. We got a little too far off at times. We still had too much difficulty getting or hands on the the tech QB. Our DB allowed themselves to be held too much.

Our D was fine aginst ISU.

Wait and see.

Reactions: 2 people
ISU went 0-11 on third downs so there's that. I expect and predict a much better and different UT defense this week. We did not show our cards to UF against ISU. Will bring the pain this Saturday!

ISU went 0-11 on third downs so there's that. I expect and predict a much better and different UT defense this week. We did not show our cards to UF against ISU. Will bring the pain this Saturday!

If you hold an opponent to a 0-11 on 3rd down, I don't care who the opponent is, that's good defense.

I think the defense is going to come out angry for this one. Much like last year I think it'll probably be the best game we play all year defensively. It's hammer time.

Reactions: 1 person
Excellent article and he's absolutely right. Most of the criticisms of the defense are off-base.

Only 1 sack ... but our opponents ran the ball 122 times and passed 29. That's a 4-to-1 ratio. It doesn't make sense to do a lot of blitzing given that.

We gave up a lot of yards to GT ... but the floundering offense in the first half forced our D to defend against one of the toughest rushing attacks in the nation with little rest. It's worthwhile to note that we didn't actually give up that many points considering and points matter more than yards.

We had 4 1/2 days to prepare for Indiana State. It was a cupcake game we could've won with 3rd stringers. No reason for the defensive coaches to give away much in that game. And ISU's one scoring drive was the result of a turnover on offense moreso than poor defensive play.

The NegaVols are applying weird standards. Defense arguably gave up 0 points (since ISU's 7 came off a short field from a turnover), but it's a disaster because we lined up 1 yard off the ball?

We won't really know much about the defense until Florida.

I suspect we still need significant improvement in the run defense, but a GT game where the D was forced to be on the field for 96 plays against a tricky triple-option running attack isn't really a good measuring stick to see where we're at.

Last edited:
Reactions: 12 people
Excellent article and he's absolutely right. Most of the criticisms of the defense are off-base.

Only 1 sack ... but our opponents ran the ball 122 times and passed 29. That's almost a 5-to-1 ratio. It doesn't make sense to do a lot of blitzing given that.

We gave up a lot of yards to GT ... but the floundering offense in the first half forced our D to defend against one of the toughest rushing attacks to defend in the nation with little rest. It's worthwhile to note that we didn't actually give up that many points considering and points matter more than yards.

We had 4 1/2 days to prepare for Indiana State. It was a cupcake game we could've won with 3rd stringers. No reason for the defensive coaches to give away much in that game. And ISU's one scoring drive was the result of a turnover on offense moreso than poor defensive play.

We won't really know much about the defense until Florida.

I suspect we still need significant improvement in the run defense, but a GT game where the D was forced to be on the field for 96 plays against a tricky triple-option running attack isn't really a good measuring stick to see where we're at.

Excellent post

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back