Da Reds thread

Reds drafted Greene. I don't follow the MLB draft as religiously as I do the NFL so I really don't know what we're getting but from what I gather a lot of people like the pick.

Just judging from some reactions it sounds like Greene is the best player in the draft whichi is good. Why did Minny pass on him though?

My FWIW assessment at this point.

Greene is filled with raw talent. Hit 102 mph as a 17 year old. Refine him on the farm and he should be a winner. Doesn't hurt that he can hit and field well either - especially in the NL. Minnesota went with an everyday player that has great upside.

I just don't get the Jeter pick at #32. Another SS. This org is in love with SS. On the current Reds roster there are 5 that I am aware of that are/were SS when they went pro. Cozy, Peraza, Suarez, Hamilton and Alcantara. Scooter has played it in his past, maybe others. So in the last couple of weeks they sign the Cuban Garcia to a $5 mm deal - SS. Add Jeter and along with Greene that plays it when he's not pitching. Jeter's the odd pick of the three when your org badly needs SP's. The only thing I can figure is that they plan to move a couple prospects as they will be doing with Cozy as the young guys develop.

Maybe somebody is crazy enough to trade SP's for SS's. This team needs SP's. So they get one possible SP 3-5 years out in their first 3 picks? SMH at how the FO thinks at times. The third pick, Fairchild, looks good in the OF. Could be ready in a couple of years. Not sure if Hamilton is ever going to hit consistently and Schebler looks like a better fielding Jay Bruce. Both need work between the ears at the plate. Winker is the only MLB ready OF'er on the farm. He has shown no power and minimal speed, but good OPB and RBI/RISP. To this point former #1 pick Ervin has not looked MLB ready at the plate.

Enjoy folks. I am shutting down on this thread for the season barring a miracle. Just hoping they can avoid losing 100 games. With BA retiring, Finnegan likely going under the knife and Gomer being Gomer - there's just no reason to stay plugged in. They will have to bring up the farm's SPs, who have already failed to make the team earlier in the season. it's a shame to waste good hitting this season, but it is what it is.

There's always next year.

Sounds like Bronson may have just pitched his last game in the majors per social media.

He is. Jim Day interviewed him in the dugout in the 3rd inning at St. Louis. Said he was done, his shoulder is gone in addition to arm getting worse. He was the class act he's always been. Will ride it out on the DL and sit in the dugout with the team until the season ends.

It's disappointing considering how good the offense has been this year. Pretty sure I said before the season a playoff run depended on SP, and obviously it has done us in. Even a healthy Homer doesn't get us to where we need to be. His contract is absolutely horrific. How does anyone of his caliber get a contract like that? It makes me want to puke.

I know you people think Votto sucks but even y'all have to admit this is impressive:

Joey Votto batting .435/.611/.742 during 20-game streak of reaching base twice. He can tie Ted Williams' all-time mark tonight vs. @Cubs.

Reactions: 1 person
This thread is a little slow lately. Wonder when they'll give Tyler Mahle a shot? No hitter last year at Daytona - Perfect game earlier this year at Pensacola and a 2.73 ERA in 10 starts since his promotion to Louisville. Even though he is still only 22 years old he's had a 43-28 record, with a 4-1 K to BB ratio and not tater prone. Most of our guys give up a tater every 4 or 5 innings - even Castillo has given up 9 in 54 inning. Mahle for his career gives up 1 every 14 innings. He and Castillo have had far better minor league numbers than the merry go round of pretenders that have had a shot lately. Castillo seems the real deal. Mahle outperforming Garrett, Stephens, Wojo, Stephenson, Davis, Bonilla, Reed. Who else has had a shot this year? Romano has looked a little better lately - I still hold out hope for him. If Mahle doesn't have a fragile psyche let's give him a shot

I know you people think Votto sucks but even y'all have to admit this is impressive:

Joey Votto batting .435/.611/.742 during 20-game streak of reaching base twice. He can tie Ted Williams' all-time mark tonight vs. @Cubs.

I just found this thread - a little too long to try and catch up and see why people think Votto sucks? 12th hardest man in major league history to get out. I do wish he'd be less willing to walk with runner on 3rd and less than 2 outs. I trust him to drive in the run even on a marginal pitch more than the rest of the order. Also, when he sees early in a series that a team's right handers are going to bust him WAY inside the whole series, I wish he'd move off the plate a little and make them go back outside more. He loves to drive that pitch to left field anyway

Well, I got my wish. The Reds called up Tyler Mahle and he starts Sunday against the Pirates. Hope he fairs better than most of the Louisville connection has this year

Inconclusive on Mahle. Looked great for 3 innings then got rattled and wild in the 4th and 5th. Ended up with 5 IP 4H 3ER 5K 4BB 2HBP

Second start for Mahle. 6 innings. 5 hits including a couple of infield hits. 0 walks. 0 runs. After 2 starts - 11 innings and 3 earned runs. ERA at 2.45. Encouraging. Of course after he left the game the pen blew it.

According to league sources Reds and Giants in serious discussions involving a trade that would include Billy Hamilton.

VN Store

Back