Black helmet stripes

All4Orange

3:30am, bored at work, and started thinking...the saying is you have to "earn your stripes". So when the players have their black helmet stripes removed, they aren't earning it, they are having it taken away. They should start with a plain white helmet and when they earn their stripe, they should get an orange checkerboard stripe put on. That makes more sense...dang, I need sleep. Anyway, GBO!!!

Reactions: 3 people
3:30am, bored at work, and started thinking...the saying is you have to "earn your stripes". So when the players have their black helmet stripes removed, they aren't earning it, they are having it taken away. They should start with a plain white helmet and when they earn their stripe, they should get an orange checkerboard stripe put on. That makes more sense...dang, I need sleep. Anyway, GBO!!!

Hittin the sauce a little to much at work?! Lol.

Reactions: 4 people

They're earning their orange stripe. You've got to keep up.

Reactions: 2 people
Wait until the media gets a hold of this. They'll rip Butch for not knowing how the old saying goes. :p

Reactions: 10 people
Wait until the media gets a hold of this. They'll rip Butch for not knowing how the old saying goes. :p

I did watch Hard Knocks last night and saw Mike Bajakian telling Winston to "snap and clear"

Funny how that's a poisoned term in knoxville but good enough for the league

Reactions: 5 people
I did watch Hard Knocks last night and saw Mike Bajakian telling Winston to "snap and clear"

Funny how that's a poisoned term in knoxville but good enough for the league

It's not what's said it's who's saying it and people are starting to see through CBJs BS.

The more stars you come in with the more stripes you wear, and they get removed 1 at a time.. hmmmmmmm??

I would have thought presenting a player with his game helmet would have worked just as well. And you would have to earn that helmet before you dress for a game.

Your idea isn't bad. However, neither of us have been hired to coach the Vols. If that changes, we got something figured out.

Reactions: 1 person
It's not what's said it's who's saying it and people are starting to see through CBJs BS.

Your hate is such a valuable commodity, are you sure you want to waste so much of it on our own team's head coach?

Maybe save it for North Korea or the guy who keeps parking in your space instead. :)

Reactions: 6 people
Your post is as bad as the whole black stripe thing.

The removal of the black stripe was a thing Urban Meyer (or someone on his staff) came up with. Hazing freshman has been a thing for as long as we all can remember. The idea is to become part of a group/team you have to go through something embarrassing or painful to prove that you really belong. Urban found that it resulted in resentment between the freshman and the older players. He knew they still needed to "prove" they belonged but wanted to remove the negativity so it wouldn't hurt team chemistry. Now all new players have a black helmet stripe. They also have an older player in their position as a mentor. When that mentor feels a new player is ready he tells their position coach. That coach discusses it with Butch and the other coaches and they make the call on removing the black strip. This is normally done in front of the team to show that this player has "proved" that they belong.

I've posted this before. I think the black stripe ritual was started by Urban Meyer in 2001/2002 when he was at Bowling Green. He wanted to find a way for players to "become a part of the team" while at the same time eliminating traditional hazing rituals.

When he got his first head coaching job at Bowling Green in 2001, Meyer started putting a stripe down the middle of the freshmen’s helmets. When they’re removed, they officially become a member of the team. The stripe program was instituted to help battle hazing. Some sort of initiation was still needed, though.

The Ohio State freshmen have silver helmets with a black stripe, similar to the Oakland Raiders. Through the first week of practice, only two freshmen have lost their stripe: De’Van Bogard and Noah Spence. Meyer said the coaches and players have taken to the black stripe philosophy.
“It’s a rite of passage,” he said.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/08/13129/black-stripe-hooray-buckeyes

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- It probably felt like a scarlet letter for Jamarco Jones.

Training camp was over and Ohio State was already a few games into its 2014 season, yet there he was in practice with that black stripe on his helmet. Most of his classmates already had their stripe removed.

"I asked (the coaches) all the time (why it was still on) just to try and get a feel for what I had to improve on," Jones said.

The black stripe ritual was designed by Urban Meyer as an in-house motivational tactic for his players. The stripe doesn't come off a freshman's helmet until he has proven he's worthy of being a Buckeye.

So the longer it's on, the more stressful it becomes. Everyone in practice sees it. Jones couldn't help but ask the obvious question of himself.

Why?

"It's hard," Jones said.

More than a player's personal pride is at stake because Meyer announces every time a freshman has his stripe removed. In a world where Ohio State invites top-rated prospects into the program every year, it gives fans -- who can't see practice -- a way of tracking which players are acclimating to the program the right way. It's very public.

Maybe it's not fair to gauge how well a player is doing. Inferring can be dangerous. But no, infer away; Meyer wants you to.

Asked how much the public can take away from the timeframe of black stripe removal, Meyer was up front.

"I think you take a lot," Meyer said. "We have all kinds of different ways (of rating players). There's blue, red, gold (categories), too. We don't release that to you guys, what category they're in, but they earn it.

"It really doesn't have a lot to do with playing time and all that. It has to do about just practicing at the tempo, four-to-six, A-to-B. Living our culture, on and off the field and doing those types of things.

"Some guys have their stripes on for quite a while. That's an indicator that they're not quite doing what we asked them to do."

So it's not ideal when a player takes a while to have it removed?

"I guess that's the politically correct way of saying, 'That's not ideal,'" Meyer responded. "That's not good. That's such a kinder way of saying it."

That's why fans latch on to the black stripe stories. It's seems insignificant, a freshman becoming a Buckeye, but every ceremonious removal is huge news to the program's followers. And when stripes are still on or taking longer than it seems it should, questions come.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/09/inside_ohio_states_black_strip.html

Reactions: 1 person
I've posted this before. I think the black stripe ritual was started by Urban Meyer in 2001/2002 when he was at Bowling Green. He wanted to find a way for players to "become a part of the team" while at the same time eliminating traditional hazing rituals.

https://www.elevenwarriors.com/2012/08/13129/black-stripe-hooray-buckeyes

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/2016/09/inside_ohio_states_black_strip.html

Circle of Life drills were also started under Meyer. When copying "best practices" in CFB coaching you either copy Saban or Meyer b/c both of them are winning a heck of a lot of games and championships.

Circle of Life drills were also started under Meyer. When copying "best practices" in CFB coaching you either copy Saban or Meyer b/c both of them are winning a heck of a lot of games and championships.

I was doing circle of life in hs in the 90's....so no.

We could sew hearts on every players jersey. Each achievement or milestone they could get a new star stitched inside the heart.

Once you get your fifth and final star you are an official VFL.

5 Star Hearts!!

But what if we win the ship this year?

I'm not sure how I would react, I could tolerate the results if he weren't full of excuses and could stop acting like a pouting child that just got corrected. He's thin skinned and the pouting is embarrassing at times especially when the media writes something he doesn't like.

VN Store

Back