Mickelson Likely to Skip US Open

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
Phil's oldest daughter is graduating on the same day as the opening round. What jackwagon at that school chose that day to have the ceremony? I'm sure the Mickelson's have pumped their fair share into that place. I would think move the graduation up a couple of days.

Phil's oldest daughter is graduating on the same day as the opening round. What jackwagon at that school chose that day to have the ceremony? I'm sure the Mickelson's have pumped their fair share into that place. I would think move the graduation up a couple of days.

An entire school should rearrange their schedule for one person? I'll pretend this wasn't a serious post.

Reactions: 1 person
An entire school should rearrange their schedule for one person? I'll pretend this wasn't a serious post.

Lol.... Sometimes you wonder.

It's an admirable move by him, but let's be honest. He's 47 and spraying the ball all over the place. He's not going to be contending at a US Open anyway right now.

I'm sure the Mickelson's are pretty involved in the school and have donated a ton of $$$$ which came from him playing golf.

I'm sure UT would re-arrange an event if the Haslam's had a scheduling conflict. Get off your high-horse.

If you read the articles, Mickelson is honestly subtly campaigning for the school to move the graduation. He hasn't officially withdrawn, he's just saying if nothing changes, he's going to the graduation. But he pointed out on two different occasions things may change.

Lol.... Sometimes you wonder.

It's an admirable move by him, but let's be honest. He's 47 and spraying the ball all over the place. He's not going to be contending at a US Open anyway right now.

The only thing here is no one can flip the switch like Phil. When important moments occur, suddenly he can do no wrong. Or he can create shots from all his horrid tee shots that keep him alive and suddenly he finds his driver too.

(Obviously, in his prime Tiger was even better at flipping the switch, but that was ten years ago)

I'm sure the Mickelson's are pretty involved in the school and have donated a ton of $$$$ which came from him playing golf.

I'm sure UT would re-arrange an event if the Haslam's had a scheduling conflict. Get off your high-horse.

Wow, lots to unpack here.

Sure, screw all of the other friends and family members of the other students who may have planned time off from work or have travel reservations they can't cancel or change.

I'm sure UT reschedules events all the time for various reasons, Haslams or not. However, to my knowledge, they've never moved a graduation for one person, nor will they probably ever.

This isn't a February PTO meeting or a 2nd grade concert recital we're talking about.

Which is back to my original point of who scheduled it that day in the 1st place?

To be fair, the high school has a graduating class of 103 students, not 4000+ like Tennessee. I'm not saying they should move it for Phil, that is their decision, but it would not be logistically impossible.

I'll admit that I'm a big Phil fan and always rooting for him to win. So I'd like to see him finally win a US Open. However, why did they not find out about this date conflict way earlier in the year and try to get it rescheduled then. Not 2 weeks before the graduation and Open.

Which is back to my original point of who scheduled it that day in the 1st place?

I'm sure they ask all students to submit their parents social and professional calendars at the beginning of the school year. They probably just forgot.

I'm not saying they should move it for Phil, that is their decision, but it would not be logistically impossible.

Without question it's their decision, and they may very well move it, and that's fine.

But it's ludicrous to demand they do so to appease one person.

Sure, screw all of the other friends and family members of the other students who may have planned time off from work or have travel reservations they can't cancel or change.

US Opens are scheduled 6 years in advance. This graduation...call it a year in advance. Obviously they can't move it now, but it is kind of surprising the Mickelsons didn't bring it up a year or so ago. It wouldn't have disrupted anyone else's plans if you just have the graduation a week later/before (or even just a day or two later/before) if you announce it a year in advance. It sounds like they simply discovered the scheduling conflict within the last few days.

Maybe the school would still refuse to move it for just one guy though.

Of all the tournaments for Phil to miss, I am surprised by this the most. I really would like to see him win one, and that window is closing rapidly, if not already shut. However, I cannot fault him for attending his daughters high school graduation, especially when she is the speaker.

I'm sure UT reschedules events all the time for various reasons, Haslams or not. However, to my knowledge, they've never moved a graduation for one person, nor will they probably ever.

This isn't a February PTO meeting or a 2nd grade concert recital we're talking about.
They'll move it for Peyton's kids when they are here.... hopefully.

I'm watching. The wind is going to make it pretty tough today.

I figured with how crowded the leaderboard is there would be more talk. I know several big names aren't in play, but it's as competitive as it gets.

I figured with how crowded the leaderboard is there would be more talk. I know several big names aren't in play, but it's as competitive as it gets.
I think the known names bring in some casual watchers. Hardcore golf fans love the competition regardless of who is playing.

Thomas did not follow up his record breaking round very well. Really, want to see Fowler get one.

Some of the leaders just realized it was the Open when they teed off today Some others will realize it coming down the stretch.

Well looks like Fowler may of just realized. He looks like he's gonna follow Sergio's footsteps. Can stay near the top just doesn't have that extra gear to turn on.

VN Store

Back