Exhibit A Of Why I Can't Watch Soccer

90 minutes is "several hours"?

It's a chess match and chess often ends in a stalemate. Hell, look at MMA. It's one of the most exciting sports and fights often end up as split decisions with little damage done. Or how about a 1-0 pitcher's duel? Like I said, it's enjoyable to people who understand the chess match.

I understand it and even play soccer video games but it's boring as hell to watch, imo.

Have you been to a game with a good atmosphere. Not sure video games do the sport justice.

Going to a soccer game is not gonna make me enjoy the sport more. I know it's not the same as professional soccer but my ex's daughter played in high school and got a college scholarship, i went to a lot of her games. I go to my friend's indoor games and it's more enjoyable than outdoor but i still dont like it.

IDK, man. Don't knock it until you try it. Girl's soccer isn't going to do it justice. Go to a packed stadium and see a good game. It's awesome. I learned hockey from video games and tried to watch it on TV but it sucks ass. In person, it's amazing. Live, rowdy atmospheres are game-changers.

If you have a chance to see team USA play, take it.

IDK, man. Don't knock it until you try it. Girl's soccer isn't going to do it justice. Go to a packed stadium and see a good game. It's awesome. I learned hockey from video games and tried to watch it on TV but it sucks ass. In person, it's amazing. Live, rowdy atmospheres are game-changers.

If you have a chance to see team USA play, take it.

No thanks. Just isn't my thing, not gonna convince me that it's exciting.

No thanks. Just isn't my thing, not gonna convince me that it's exciting.

Soccer is different. It certainly isn't for everyone or even for all sports fans in general.

Oftentimes, the most exciting things in a soccer game are things that almost happened. Something like 25-30% of league games end in ties. What non-fans of the sport deride as "wasting time kicking the ball around" is not that, but does appear that way to people who don't know soccer strategy. What's funny is that I've heard Europeans make statement like "how is American football so popular; most of the time spent during a game is guys standing around or in a huddle." That's completely true, but I don't think that makes watching a game not exciting. It's a matter of your perspective and what sports you are accustomed to seeing.

I think what has actually caught on in the United States relative to soccer is not the sport itself but the US Men's National Team. MLS is not and I don't think ever will be a big deal because the money, tradition, and power structures of the sport are always going to be in Europe.

Last edited:
90 minutes is "several hours"?

It's a chess match and chess often ends in a stalemate. Hell, look at MMA. It's one of the most exciting sports and fights often end up as split decisions with little damage done. Or how about a 1-0 pitcher's duel? Like I said, it's enjoyable to people who understand the chess match.

90 minutes of soccer feels like 6 hrs.. People get excited I mean woken up when someone gets a card

MMA.. that is actual action..

Reactions: 1 person
90 minutes of soccer feels like 6 hrs.. People get excited I mean woken up when someone gets a card

MMA.. that is actual action..

I'm a huge MMA fan but at least half the fights are boring to new viewers.

Let me guess, you've never actually sat 90 minutes through a professional soccer match in person?

Soccer is different. It certainly isn't for everyone or even for all sports fans in general.

Oftentimes, the most exciting things in a soccer game are things that almost happened. Something like 25-30% of league games end in ties. What non-fans of the sport deride as "wasting time kicking the ball around" is not that, but does appear that way to people who don't know soccer strategy. What's funny is that I've heard Europeans make statement like "how is American football so popular; most of the time spent during a game is guys standing around or in a huddle." That's completely true, but I don't think that makes watching a game not exciting. It's a matter of your perspective and what sports you are accustomed to seeing.

I think what has actually caught on in the United States relative to soccer is not the sport itself but the US Men's National Team. MLS is not and I don't think ever will be a big deal because the money, tradition, and power structures of the sport are always going to be in Europe.

I have to admit, I find MLS soccer pretty boring. I don't know if it is the on the ball skill being far better in Premier League and Bundesliga (the only 2 leagues I have access to watch), or if it is some huge gap in tactics, or even production value of the matches, but i can turn on an MLS game and just not feel as interested by it as I would be a match of Stoke vs West Brom. I think it could be more intriguing if the US had a "tier" system like overseas, with low performers moving down, and the top performers from the lower league moving up, but I don't know if that would really help it as much. I do like watching the USMNT play, so it is just something about MLS.

Also, Baseball is boring to watch until you get to the World Series. Even then it can still be very slow and boring to sit through at home. Baseball is one of the few sports where the stadium experience far exceeds the TV experience for me.

The only sporting event I would pay >$300 for a single ticket to attend, other than a Tennessee football game, would be when Barca, Juventus, or ManU come to the US for one of the tours (hoping they come to Ann Arbor/midwest again, but this year everything seems to be out West or east coast).

I have to admit, I find MLS soccer pretty boring. I don't know if it is the on the ball skill being far better in Premier League and Bundesliga

It is. Like night and day. The ball movement and quickness of the players is just so much faster in Europe.

There are big MLS fans out there who like to argue otherwise, that the MLS is close and getting closer to Europe, but I don't see it whatsoever.

VN Store

Back