Coach Fulmer Appreciation Thread

UT Hill Man

I ♥ Big Jugs
I see the Fulmer Buyout thread is still going strong so I think it's appropriate to balance the scales a bit.

fulmer1971.jpg

Fulmer was born in Winchester, Tennessee where he attended Franklin County High School. Fulmer enrolled at the University of Tennessee as a student in 1968. He promptly joined the football team as an offensive guard. While playing for the Volunteers, Fulmer garnered All-Southeastern Conference honors at offensive guard. Fulmer helped Tennessee to a 30–5 record from 1969–1971

p1_fulmer2_si_original_crop_north.jpg

Fulmer was a longtime assistant at Tennessee before becoming Head Coach in 1992. While he was head coach
Tennessee won two Southeastern Conference championships, in 1997 and 1998, and a national championship in 1998. The Vols made three other SEC Championship game appearances in 2001, 2004, and 2007. Overall his record was 152–52

Phillip-Fulmer-at-a-Gatlinburg-football-camp.jpg

Fulmers Legacy: As a player or as Head Coach Fulmers record at UT is 182 - 57. He was elected to the College Football Coaches Hall of Fame in 2012 To put that into perspective, in most of our lifetimes the only other SEC coaches to be so honored had the last names Bryant, Spurrier, Dickey, Dye, and Dooley. That's rare company.

It is a shame that he was denied the chance to to complete the circle of service to his Alma Mater by being named AD. I still believe he was the best candidate.

Nevertheless, I think we owe Coach a debt of gratitude for his enduring service and commitment to this proud university.

Reactions: 38 people
He brought a Natty (to begin with) in my lifetime. So, I can find a lot of other things more upsetting them a buyout that he and our AD agreed to ahead of time.

Reactions: 1 person
I'm a fan. He wasn't perfect I guess, and that bothers some. He brought us a National Championship and represented the university with class and dignity. No one loves UT more than Coach Fulmer, VFL indeed.

Reactions: 13 people
I see the Fulmer Buyout thread is still going strong so I think it's appropriate to balance the scales a bit.

fulmer1971.jpg

Fulmer was born in Winchester, Tennessee where he attended Franklin County High School. Fulmer enrolled at the University of Tennessee as a student in 1968. He promptly joined the football team as an offensive guard. While playing for the Volunteers, Fulmer garnered All-Southeastern Conference honors at offensive guard. Fulmer helped Tennessee to a 30–5 record from 1969–1971

Fulmer was a longtime assistant at Tennessee before becoming Head Coach in 1992. While he was head coach
Tennessee won two Southeastern Conference championships, in 1997 and 1998, and a national championship in 1998. The Vols made three other SEC Championship game appearances in 2001, 2004, and 2007. Overall his record was 152–52

Fulmers Legacy: As a player or as Head Coach Fulmers record at UT is 182 - 57. He was elected to the College Football Coaches Hall of Fame in 2012 To put that into perspective, in most of our lifetimes the only other SEC coaches to be so honored had the last names Bryant, Spurrier, Dickey, Dye, and Dooley. That's rare company.

It is a shame that he was denied the chance to to complete the circle of service to his Alma Mater by being named AD. I still believe he was the best candidate.

Nevertheless, I think we owe Coach a debt of gratitude for his enduring service and commitment to this proud university.

The last bolded comment above will likely turn this from an appreciation thread to another **** storm about Phil.

Phil was one of the best Offensive Line coaches that TN has ever had.

Reactions: 8 people
Coach PF! You da man. Still wish things didnt work out the way they did but thats for another thread. Your all vol and I tip my hat to you sir!

Reactions: 7 people
I know this is something I could look up, but did he play professionally?

I looked it up for you...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phillip_Fulmer

Timeline

1968: Fulmer enrolled at the University of Tennessee as a student in 1968.
1969: Fulmer helped Tennessee to a 30–5 record from 1969–1971, where he played for coaches Doug Dickey (who returned to Tennessee as athletic director and hired Fulmer as the Volunteers' coach) and Bill Battle.
1980: Beginning in 1980, Fulmer served 13 years as a Vols assistant coach, initially as the offensive line coach, and then as the offensive coordinator and offensive line coach.
2003: Fulmer serves as a consultant and special assistant to athletic director Richard Sander at East Tennessee State University, which relaunched a football program it had shut down for financial reasons in 2003.

2008: Tennessee athletic director Mike Hamilton finally notified Fulmer of his dismissal on November 2, 2008.

2008: Fulmer completed his long tenure at the University of Tennessee with a 28-10 win over Kentucky on November 29, 2008.

His record against Bama is also worth a mention. Met CPF at a youth BBall game (think he was watching his grandchild). Had a great conversation about UT football and the guy was so personable. Class act all the way is CPF.

Reactions: 2 people
He was also a Vandy coach. That was good to exclude in an appreciation thread.

Fulmer was an excellent offensive lineman for Tennessee. Had he not had so many great offensive linemen as a coach that were better than him, he might have been considered great as well.

Always respected him. He never brought shame to the UT name and acted with class. And on top of that coached us to a National Championship. Go Vols!

Reactions: 3 people

fulmer1971.jpg

You worked like heck with all those pictures and the long post.

Reactions: 4 people
I can remember where I was the night that we beat Florida in 1998. I remember the Manning years. So many good times and days from my childhood. Smiling and/or clapping Phil is a staple of my youth TV days.

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back