Practice Updates 4.20.17

Fingers

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xBARpV1eLxo[/youtube]

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEyf1ifLK4c[/youtube]

VQ Videos
https://player.vimeo.com/video/214074048
https://player.vimeo.com/video/214074081

Interesting, a number of guys who haven't really participated all spring — Josh Smith, Rashaan Gaulden, Quart’e Sapp, Micah Abernathy — all rocked helmets and went through various drills. Smith even ran routes with the quarterbacks during the “pat-and-go” drill.

Freshman standout OL Trey Smith was taking reps at guard Thursday.

The quarterbacks appeared as if they were ready for spring to be over, too, as no one in the group was particularly sharp during the routes on air. At one point, Dormady and Jancek combined for seven straight misses on go-routes. QD ironed out his overthrows when they transitioned to cross patterns and digs, while Guarantano was definitely the best QB during the drill but also had his share of misfires.

simonton

The quarterbacks appeared as if they were ready for spring to be over, too, as no one in the group was particularly sharp during the routes on air. At one point, Dormady and Jancek combined for seven straight misses on go-routes. QD ironed out his overthrows when they transitioned to cross patterns and digs, while Guarantano was definitely the best QB during the drill but also had his share of misfires.

Jakob Johnson got some high praise from Larry Scott after Tuesday’s practice and in watching Johnson closely he does look like he’s catching the ball more smoothly than in the past.
Lewis

On the offensive line, true freshman Trey Smith continues to get some snaps at guard. Smith was working a great deal at right guard early in practice. As spring practice has winded down, offensive line coach Walt Wells has taking some looks at some different combinations.

Smith's work at guard has also meant some more first team reps for sophomore Marcus Tatum.

Defensively it was more option work for the safeties as they work on their Georgia Tech jump start. Another guy who continues to earn some praise is freshman D'Andre Johnson. Being an early enrollee has been huge for him. He got a jumpstart on getting bigger and stronger and he has gotten a great feel for how physical you have to play at this level.

And in conjuction with the end of the final spring practice, Jones was having some food trucks roll in for a meal as a reward for his team and the end of spring.
hubbs

C94jpfUXkAMxIvq.jpg

After completing the pass, redshirt freshman quarterback Jarrett Guarantano quickly stepped behind center again and barked: “One more. One more.”

The Tennessee football players tried to squeeze in every last rep Thursday afternoon at Haslam Field in their 14th and final spring practice before Saturday’s Orange and White Game (TV: SEC Network, 4 p.m. ET).

Junior running back John Kelly had his left ankle taped and didn’t practice. But Kelly played the role of coach for the other running backs, directing drills and helping demonstrate the right technique.

Among the players fielding punts were: Marquill Osborne, Latrell Williams, Marquez Callaway, Jauan Jennings, and Josh Smith.
The players wearing green non-contact jerseys included: Smith, Quart’e Sapp, Brandon Johnson, Rashaan Gaulden, Evan Berry and Micah Abernathy.
potkey

I asked Mike Canales if a two-quarterback system has been considered. He didn't say no. So, take that as you will.
charlie burris

There were more players catching punts than kickoffs during the open period of Thursday’s practice. Wide receiver Marquez Callaway and defensive backs Nigel Warrior, Micah Abernathy and Rashaan Gaulden -- the latter two in green jerseys -- were catching kickoffs. Among the cast of players catching punts were wide receivers Callaway, Jauan Jennings, Latrell Williams, Tyler Byrd and Josh Smith and defensive backs Justin Martin, D.J. Henderson, Baylen Buchanan and Marquill Osborne. The Vols’ second period of practice was a kick-return period where no video, photo or reporting was allowed.

Tennessee’s linebacker corps got a nice boost Thursday with the returns of senior Elliott Berry and sophomore Quart'e Sapp, albeit in a limited role. Both ‘backers practiced in green, limited-contact jerseys and didn’t take part in any special teams drills, but both went through individual position drills and looked pretty solid.

Tennessee’s group of defensive ends again was closer to full strength during Thursday’s practice, with rising junior Kyle Phillips continuing to work on at least a limited basis.

KONGBO WATCH: Defensive end Jonathan Kongbo watched the defensive line drills pretty closely on Thursday. Kongbo has been out since Tennessee's second scrimmage of the spring.
ramey

Screen-Shot-2017-04-18-at-4.56.30-PM.png

P1010751-700x467.jpg

Passing drills: While it was nice to have those fresh faces on the field, it wasn’t a great day overall, at least in the open portion, for the quarterbacks and wide receivers. The ball hit the ground entirely too many times for a group that was working on air during one of the early portions of practice.

Both positions share some of the blame for that. Passes were a bit off the mark at times, but the receivers also got their hands on several that ended up hitting the ground. Offensive coordinator Larry Scott and quarterbacks coach Mike Canales were heard voicing their displeasure a few times as the group scheduled to regularly connect.

By the fourth period – the final session the media was allowed to view – things were a little more crisp and the coaches seemed to be more pleased with the results. Seeing that many misses at this point in spring, however, is a little concerning and is definitely something to keep an eye on during the Orange and White Game on Saturday.
daniel lewis

Last edited:
Reactions: 21 people
Dormady looks so impressive throwing the ball. I don't know who's going to win the QB competition, but I think we're in good hands long-term with either Dormady or JG.

Reactions: 9 people
thanks Fingers...sounds like some people getting healthier, and Butch learning how to make friends and influence people...good on him...by the way...didn't we all want it to be over...:)

GO VOLS!

We're about to become Quarterback U guys. I love what I'm seeing from Dormady this spring. I think he could be the Mitch Trubisky of next season. A guy who has been a backup for a few years that will have NFL scouts buzzing once he starts to play. And y'all know I've always been high on Jarrett. His potential is astronomical.

It's not impossible to think that we could have 3 guys in a row play QB for us and get drafted in the 1st-2nd round. Dobbs will be a late 1st/early 2nd round pick this year. With a great season Dormady could leave early and also be a 1st-2nd round pick in 2018 and then in 2019 Guarantano could follow suit.

I love the natural talent we have at the position.

Reactions: 2 people
Dormady looks so impressive throwing the ball. I don't know who's going to win the QB competition, but I think we're in good hands long-term with either Dormady or JG.

Exactly. He's impressed me a lot this spring. He's taken his game to another level.

Wouldn't bother me one bit if he's named the starter. And that's something for me since before camp started I was calling for Butch Jones to be fired if he didn't start Guarantano in game one.

Reactions: 1 person
Exactly. He's impressed me a lot this spring. He's taken his game to another level.

Wouldn't bother me one bit if he's named the starter. And that's something for me since before camp started I was calling for Butch Jones to be fired if he didn't start Guarantano in game one.

So you've now endorsed both.
Wow, it's like you can now take credit no matter the outcome? We're all so shocked I tell you!

Unless the starter can't perform on the big stage, then let me guess..
You knew "the whole time that the other guy was better and Jones is idiot for not seeing what you do."

Amirite?

Reactions: 16 people
In the first video there is a guy in white (offense) practicing with the DBs, #22, but Abernathy was there later in green. 22 looked confused. any ideas?

QBU? I'm concerned that every practice report I read talks about missed throws and dropped balls on air.

DB Micah Abernathy:
1ed95921333425722af82da1c3577980.png

DB Nigel Warrior:
842afaf0b78fcb55765bc626510aa9b1.png

DB Justin Martin:
2078079b96006cdc4f28f06a1fee2516.png

QB Will McBride:
16a3680bb085b881a22624c19a489087.png

WR Brandon Johnson:
30b63945e04bb14c705ffc04af3563c5.png

QB Quinten Dormady:
92abef76075a10c2aa45285ddedc2365.png

QB Jarrett Guarantano:
885d53a2c155ce7cc185475e3349908e.png

TE Ethan Wolf:
8db74457198453b523ce5f0e885e2a9d.png

TE Jakob Johnson:
c51d23ce9b44dbc9c1270fde05ad42b4.png

OL at work:
2b876c5e6b433a059ee747de4a43d3cc.png

WR Jauan Jennings:
c747fce647842bb60c5611147170da3b.png

JG & QD together in the beautiful sky above:
53f1ee1d555bd70272b72a8447aeafe2.png

DT Kendall Vickers:
6338070866a9b4310dd4e84a4e4a5fef.png

WR Tyler Byrd?
a30bd89ee2af6c779a6620be891d0ec4.png

This is not Tyler Byrd. That's what the description says below the photo from the Vols website. They messed up on this one. We don't have another #10 on the team though. Maybe it's a walk-on freshman trying out for kicker/punter. Hmm! :question:

Last edited:
The #22 in white is Jonathan Mays. I incorrectly guessed him as Vincent Perry.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back