6 reasons Dobbs is the draft's best sleeper QB pick

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
More Dobbs love.

1. Among QBs likely to be picked, he’s probably the best all-around athlete.

2. He might be the smartest player in the whole draft, as you’ve heard a million times.

3. He was great at avoiding INTs ... in 2015

4. Speaking of 2016, consider the context of Tennessee’s season.

5. Overall, Dobbs was clutch as a senior.

6. Bama was only part of it. He faced much tougher schedules than most QBs do.

http://www.sbnation.com/nfl-mock-dr...s-is-the-2017-nfl-drafts-best-sleeper-qb-pick

Reactions: 6 people
I hope Dobbs goes high and gets paid, but he's gonna make his money if he can deliver at the next level. Regardless, he's got a decent back up plan.

Reactions: 1 person
There is nothing wrong with"Dobbs Love". It's dealing with the particular poster on here that claims to be the only one to appreciate him and rubs our collective nose in it constantly. If Dobbs goes in the first round and a half, I may just take a VN hiatus.

Even if he turns out right on Dobbs, that's like....1 thing he's gotten right.

Reactions: 2 people
There is nothing wrong with"Dobbs Love". It's dealing with the particular poster on here that claims to be the only one to appreciate him and rubs our collective nose in it constantly. If Dobbs goes in the first round and a half, I may just take a VN hiatus.

Yea that guy Freak and his Dobbs threads. :)

I keed.

Edit : on a side note, I can't wait for the draft to be over.

Being drafted early and being successful are 2 different things. Teams reach on QBs every single year. Im still in the camp that says Dobbs wont be able to make the throws he needs to be able to make. This is the same guy that couldnt consistently throw an accurate screen pass and every time he dropped back you held your breath and hoped he just took off running.

Could he get better? Yes, he got better every year at UT, but I have still seen nothing that leads me to believe he has an NFL arm as far as accuracy.

He had times where he looked amazing and other times he just left you scratching your head. I think he'll get a chance and go pretty early. He will easily pick up the play book and could most likely be a career back-up because of it. Reading the defense at that speed will cause problems and cost him a starting job IMO. Throws that are a little off target in the NFL can be disastrous.

Definitely rooting for Dobbs in the NFL.

IMO how a QB pans out in the NFL often has more to do with the situation he is put in and the coaches he's surrounded by. I don't think Tom Brady would've been nearly as good as he became if he was drafted by the Cleveland Browns instead of the New England Patriots.

I'm just hoping Dobbs gets into the right situation where he has all the tools to succeed. I'd rather see him as a career backup in a good situation than starting in a terrible situation where he's set up to fail. And if things fall into place just right, maybe he's a backup for a few years, before finding himself as a starter in a great situation.

Reactions: 2 people
Rooting for Dobbs wherever he may go. I think if he goes somewhere that allows him to take a back seat for 2 or 3 years he could be a very solid starter in the NFL. Here's to hoping he doesn't go to cleveland ��

Dodds always represented UT in the best way possible as a student athlete. It's good to see a young man like JD getting bank whether its 2nd, 3rd, or 4th. In light of his well documented intelligence, he'll put that money to work such that it pays life long dividends even if he doesn't turn out to be an NFL starter. He makes it very easy to pull for him to have success!

Things really drop in the second round, where the average contract was worth about $4.8 million over four years ($1.2 million per year), according to Spotrac.com, but with only half of that guaranteed. The value of third-round contracts drops to $3.1 million, but takes an even bigger hit in guaranteed value, with the average contract worth just $682,000 in guaranteed money.

Once a player falls past the third round, most draft picks will sign a 4-year deal in the $2.3-2.4 million range. The only major difference late in the draft is the signing bonus, ranging from $300,000-500,000 in the fourth round to slightly more than $50,000 in the seventh round.

:)

I'm just kind of upset because all I heard for 3 1/4 years was that he was going to be a rocket scientist after college.

Does anyone know what Dobbs wonderlic score was? I've searched Google and can't find it. I'm curious to see if he scored close to 50

I'm just kind of upset because all I heard for 3 1/4 years was that he was going to be a rocket scientist after college.

That's mainly cause it was just college football people talking. NFL talent evaluators have only come into the process in the last few months. This is why Dobbs has had such a "meteoric rise". The college football talking heads have been underrating him for 3 years. NFL people are realizing that Butch Jones held Dobbs back from reaching his true potential.

And this should not surprise anyone since Butch Jones had JJ Watt and Antonio Brown on the same college team and he also held them back from reaching their full potential.

That's mainly cause it was just college football people talking. NFL talent evaluators have only come into the process in the last few months. This is why Dobbs has had such a "meteoric rise". The college football talking heads have been underrating him for 3 years. NFL people are realizing that Butch Jones held Dobbs back from reaching his true potential.

And this should not surprise anyone since Butch Jones had JJ Watt and Antonio Brown on the same college team and he also held them back from reaching their full potential.

I'm curious how Brown's 305 catches in 3 seasons was holding him back. Should he have had 600 catches?

Reactions: 3 people
Brown's 305 catches in college is good for 13th all time in Division 1. Second all time for a 3 year player. One reception off the record of 306.

Brown had 305 catches for 3200 yards and 22 tds in 3 seasons. How was he held back by Jones?

McShay said on Mike & Mike this morning that Dobbs may sneak into the 1st rd, though he thought early 2nd was more likely. Lines up with what D4H was predicting with San Diego maybe taking him in the early 2nd, 38th overall I believe it was.

I was kind of shocked, but after seeing him on Gruden's QB Camp, I just think a team will take him somewhere in the 2nd because they'll fall in love with his intelligence, personality, athleticism, and think they're drafting the 2017 version of Dak Prescott (who was the best thing to ever happen to Dobbs' NFL value). In the 2nd rd, he'll be overdrafted for sure, but QBs are a premium. Some team is going to look at all his positives and believe they can develop him into an NFL starter.

No matter what happens in the draft, Dobbs, like Peyton, is the type of person that will give back to the University of Tennessee in many ways. A true ambassador for the school, and a true VFL.

For this, we should all be grateful.

Brown had 305 catches for 3200 yards and 22 tds in 3 seasons. How was he held back by Jones?

Antonio Brown fell to the 6th round and JJ Watt transferred to Wisconsin cause Butch Jones didn't think he could play defensive end.

Why so you guys keep defending Butch Jones when it is abudantly clear he is only good at wasting talent?

Antonio Brown fell to the 6th round and JJ Watt transferred to Wisconsin cause Butch Jones didn't think he could play defensive end.

Why so you guys keep defending Butch Jones when it is abudantly clear he is only good at wasting talent?

I know he "fell" to the 6th Rd, but it wasn't because he didn't have great production in college in Jones' offense.

He was successful despite not receiving the coaching that could have propelled him up the draft order.

VN Store

Back