Any Information on Darius Thompson?

One of the radio guys in Memphis is good friends with Nichols and he said Nichols has lost all desire to play basketball. He just grew tired of basketball being his 24/7 job. He was just going through the motions and no longer had a passion to play.

One of the radio guys in Memphis is good friends with Nichols and he said Nichols has lost all desire to play basketball. He just grew tired of basketball being his 24/7 job. He was just going through the motions and no longer had a passion to play.

He also said any team that considered trying to bring him in for next year had better be very careful because Nichols is going to need time to figure out if he really ever wanted to play again.

He also said any team that considered trying to bring him in for next year had better be very careful because Nichols is going to need time to figure out if he really ever wanted to play again.

Yeah, the whole Nichols/UVA thing was weird. He sat out last season due to transferring, got suspended two preseason games for a violation of team rules, then got booted after playing one game. Whatever happened was kept very quiet, but people here worship Tony Bennett so whatever Austin did, people feel like him getting dismissed was justified.

Good point. What's a measly 30 ppg anyways?

All about matchups- UVA matches up very well against Louisville, it's why they've beaten them handily twice this year (not to mention last year too). However, UVA couldn't beat Syracuse to save their lives.

All about matchups- UVA matches up very well against Louisville, it's why they've beaten them handily twice this year (not to mention last year too). However, UVA couldn't beat Syracuse to save their lives.

I agree they are a bad matchup for Louisville, but I wouldn't say they beat them handily, especially the 1st game. They won the 1st game by what, 8 points? The 2nd by 16 was a little more lopsided in the final score, but UVA trailed at half and UofL was missing 3 major contributors. I think they are pretty evenly matched from a talent standpoint, but like you said, a bad matchup for sure.

Just announced that he is transferring from UVA for his last season. If I'm not mistaken, he will be a grad transfer and eligible to play immediately. Rumor has it he is interested in Missouri and reuniting with Cuonzo.

Funny thing is if he would have just toughed it out... He would have been the man the last two years here!

And had he stayed at TN, he'd now be out of eligibility and would not have returned to the NCAAT. He may not have played a lot behind Punter and Baulkman. It was probably a good move on his part. UVA degrees are good to have.

He was a better point guard than Punter or Baulkman... He would have played the one with punter sliding over to the 2 which is a better position for him. We could have easily been a NCAAT team with better and deeper point guard play... It was our weakest overall position this year with post play being a close second.

Reactions: 1 person
Darius Thompson always struck me as a player made for full court basketball, not Cuonzo's system and especially not Virginia's system. I would hire a dog to coach the basketball team before I would hire Virginia's coach.

Darius Thompson always struck me as a player made for full court basketball, not Cuonzo's system and especially not Virginia's system. I would hire a dog to coach the basketball team before I would hire Virginia's coach.

It's not very entertaining, but it's pretty effective. Bennett is one of the best coaches in the country. His style just isn't fan friendly.

Reactions: 1 person
It's not very entertaining, but it's pretty effective. Bennett is one of the best coaches in the country. His style just isn't fan friendly.

Agreed, but filling Thompson bowling is part of the coach's job here. Tennessee fans would jab there eyes out before watching that. He would be loathed.

He didnt turn out to be a worthwhile player.

You're right, but he is tied to Cuonzo, so he's a poor man's Chris Paul. Just read some of these posts

I'm not saying Thompson can't shoot, but he should go to Kwe for shooting advice

Weird that we'll visit Columbia MO next year and square off against Cuonzo and Thompson. And with Michael Porter who knows...may be tough for teams to get out of there with a W.

VN Store

Back