Vols and Gators Comparison

Ancient Reptile

I know, I know: there's no comparison. Still, I find it interesting that I see these similarities. (1) Both teams should have their best O-lines in several years;(2) Both teams have work to do in the secondary;(3) Both teams are looking for quarterbacks.
Guess you guys are returning more experienced D-lines and we have more experienced RBs. Don't know about LBs. All right, have at it and, for the record, I intend nothing bad in posting this.

Reactions: 6 people
I know, I know: there's no comparison. Still, I find it interesting that I see these similarities. (1) Both teams should have their best O-lines in several years;(2) Both teams have work to do in the secondary;(3) Both teams are looking for quarterbacks.
Guess you guys are returning more experienced D-lines and we have more experienced RBs. Don't know about LBs. All right, have at it and, for the record, I intend nothing bad in posting this.

DL & LB depth are major concerns with this team. If the vols have a healthy Shy Tuttle and Kalil Mckenzie, then we will have a rotation of five DTs who have played. Way too thin for SEC football. Outside of D. Kirkland and Cortez Mcdowell, there are just a bunch of unproven guys at LB. I guess you could count Colton Jumper but he is not SEC material IMO. Hope he proves me wrong.

Reactions: 2 people
The only comparison that matters:

McIlwain does more with less.

Butch does less with more.

Mc had more on defense his first 2 seasons at UF, and a great defense can keep you in games until the 4th qtr, and then if the other team makes mistakes you have a chance to win. UT made 4th qtr mistakes 2 seasons ago, and LSU made mistakes in 2016, and UF capitalized on both occasions. That defense was dominated by Muschamp players.

If he wins the East this season with most of his own players on defense and an average offense then I will say he can do more with less.

Reactions: 14 people
Mc had more on defense his first 2 seasons at UF, and a great defense can keep you in games until the 4th qtr, and then if the other team makes mistakes you have a chance to win. UT made 4th qtr mistakes 2 seasons ago, and LSU made mistakes in 2016, and UF capitalized on both occasions. That defense was dominated by Muschamp players.

If he wins the East this season with most of his own players on defense and an average offense then I will say he can do more with less.

So Mac has to win the East 3 times in a row for you to say that? 3 East titles in his first 3 years.

Butch 0 in 5.

I'm not following your logic.

Reactions: 12 people
DL & LB depth are major concerns with this team. If the vols have a healthy Shy Tuttle and Kalil Mckenzie, then we will have a rotation of five DTs who have played. Way too thin for SEC football. Outside of D. Kirkland and Cortez Mcdowell, there are just a bunch of unproven guys at LB. I guess you could count Colton Jumper but he is not SEC material IMO. Hope he proves me wrong.

I am with you on the D Line. I do not see how we can have an over achieving season with this D Line.

Reactions: 2 people
So Mac has to win the East 3 times in a row for you to say that? 3 East titles in his first 3 years.

Butch 0 in 5.

I give him credit for winning the East the first 2 seasons, but the UF defense won the East for him. And those were Muschamp's players. So while his offense was pretty average, all the pundits told us that was one of the best defenses in the SEC, so I don't really buy in that he did more with less. The majority of those players left after the 2016 season, so going forward that defense will be made up mainly of players Mc recruited.

UGA is favored to win the East in 2017. If Mc wins it again, with mainly his players on both sides of the ball, then I will buy in that he can do more with less.

Reactions: 11 people
I give him credit for winning the East the first 2 seasons, but the UF defense won the East for him. And those were Muschamp's players. So while his offense was pretty average, all the pundits told us that was one of the best defenses in the SEC, so I don't really buy in that he did more with less. The majority of those players left after the 2016 season, so going forward that defense will be made up mainly of players Mc recruited.

UGA is favored to win the East in 2017. If Mc wins it again, with mainly his players on both sides of the ball, then I will buy in that he can do more with less.

I'd call winning the East 2 years in a row, while not the favorite, and losing my starting QB both years, only to win in spite of that fact, quite impressive, and an overachievement.

I'm no Mac fan either, BTW. Average at best.

Reactions: 8 people
I'd call winning the East 2 years in a row, while not the favorite, and losing my starting QB both years, only to win in spite of that fact, quite impressive, and an overachievement.

Lol

Butch 0 in 5.

Winning the East is currently equivalent to a participation trophy.

Reactions: 8 people
Winning the East is currently equivalent to a participation trophy.

If true, then this must be the rest of the East.

meyers.gif

Reactions: 7 people

You're hypothesis starts out with some very flawed logic from the subjective: that is the UF had less than UT.

Using recruiting averages, you see that UF actually had a more talented roster than UT his first year. That predicts a win north of 2/3 of the time.

Using this metric, UT had the more talented roster last year and UT won. Again, this is the expected outcome . That means that while Mac is 1-1 against the team he apparently never should lose to (using his words) both games have been talent predicted. That trend actually continues in UT's favor this season. We will see.

Importantly, Mac isn't performing outside of what these talent predictions would expect either at UF or Colorado State. In fact, he trends slightly below talent expectations historically. At both stops he has been compared against a significantly under-performing coach making his improvement look markedly better even if slightly below what should be expected.

So, what does that actually say about his winning the east in both years? I would postulate it says the same thing that Missouri winning the east did...less about them, and more about the east. But Pinkel did have a history of regularly over-performing, where Mac does not. His performances against Bama show that he isn't over-performing his talent by significant margins (his teams have been more talented than Clemson, FYI). What it shows is that he out-talents the majority of his SEC competition, and they key competition are a bit more unstable. When UGA finds stability, and UT continues to add seasonal depth, this trend doesn't likely continue.

Reactions: 10 people
You're hypothesis starts out with some very flawed logic from the subjective: that is the UF had less than UT.

Using recruiting averages, you see that UF actually had a more talented roster than UT his first year. That predicts a win north of 2/3 of the time.

Using this metric, UT had the more talented roster last year and UT won. Again, this is the expected outcome . That means that while Mac is 1-1 against the team he apparently never should lose to (using his words) both games have been talent predicted. That trend actually continues in UT's favor this season. We will see.

Importantly, Mac isn't performing outside of what these talent predictions would expect either at UF or Colorado State. In fact, he trends slightly below talent expectations historically. At both stops he has been compared against a significantly under-performing coach making his improvement look markedly better even if slightly below what should be expected.

So, what does that actually say about his winning the east in both years? I would postulate it says the same thing that Missouri winning the east did...less about them, and more about the east. But Pinkel did have a history of regularly over-performing, where Mac does not. His performances against Bama show that he isn't over-performing his talent by significant margins (his teams have been more talented than Clemson, FYI). What it shows is that he out-talents the majority of his SEC competition, and they key competition are a bit more unstable. When UGA finds stability, and UT continues to add seasonal depth, this trend doesn't likely continue.

That was a very long-winded way to say what I essentially said in 2 sentences.

Here's the even shorter version:

McElwain > Butch

Reactions: 4 people

VN Store

Back