The Official Tennessee vs. Georgia Game Thread, 1:00 PM ET, SEC Network

YankeeVol

Veni Vidi Vici
SEC Tournament: Round 2

(#9) Tennessee Volunteers: 16-15 (8-10 SEC)

Alabama-Tennessee-Basketball-7.jpg

vs.

(#8) Georgia Bulldogs: 18-13 (9-9 SEC)

i

MARCH 9 » BRIDGESTONE ARENA » NASHVILLE, TENN. » 12:02 CT

Line: UT +1
O/U: 143

TV: SEC Network
Radio: Vol Network
Satellite Radio: Sirius:134, XM: 190
Online: WatchESPN

12505687.jpeg

Overall: UT leads, 93-59

In Knoxville: UT leads, 56-16

In Athens: UGA leads, 38-33

Neutral Sites: UGA leads 5-4

Current Streak: Georgia has won three straight

Last Meeting: Georgia won, 76-75, in Knoxville, 2/11/17

Rick Barnes vs. Georgia: 1-4

Rick Barnes vs. Mark Fox: Fox leads, 3-0

Reactions: 2 people
No player on Tennessee’s roster has ever played in a win over Georgia. Robert Hubbs III had season-ending surgery before UT’s win over UGA in 2014.

SEC All-Freshman Team selection Grant Williams leads the Vols in rebounding, blocks and total steals. He is also UT’s top scorer in SEC play (14.2 ppg).

Williams’ 60 blocks are tied for the second-most in a single season in program history.

Snap Georgia's three-game win streak in the series.

Give Tennessee a 6-3 all-time record against Georgia in the SEC Tournament. The border rivals haven't met in the tournament since 1996.

Set up a quarterfinal meeting with top-seeded Kentucky Friday at 1 p.m. ET/Noon CT.

Reactions: 3 people
Tennessee is 65-53 (.551) in 56 all-time previous SEC Tournament appearances.

The Vols own the third-best SEC Tournament winning percentage among league schools, trailing only Kentucky (.836) and Alabama (.554).

Since the tournament was renewed in 1979, the Vols are 30-37 (.438).

Tennessee has won the SEC Tournament four times, tying Florida for third-most among league schools. The Vols won the event in 1936, 1941, 1943 and 1979.

UT has reached the championship game 10 times (third most among league schools), most recently in 2009 in Tampa.

Tennessee has only been the No. 9 seed once previously at the SEC Tournament; that was in 1991 in Nashville. That year, the Vols took a 9-21 record into the tournament and then reeled off three straight wins to reach the championship game, where it fell to Alabama.

This is the ninth time Nashville has hosted the SEC Tournament. UT is 11-8 in the tournament when it takes place in "The Music City."

Tennessee's SEC Tournament record at Bridgestone Arena is 7-6.

Reactions: 3 people
Rick Barnes is 33-28 (.541) in conference tournament games as a head coach.

He led Providence to the Big East Tournament championship in 1994.

So in the last 29 years, Barnes has logged more conference tournament wins and as many conference tournament championships as Tennessee since the SEC Tournament was renewed 38 years ago in 1979 (Tennessee has one league tournament title and 30 wins during that span).

Reactions: 1 person
Before we beat Kentucky I predicted we would win the SEC tournament. I admit it was silly but felt good at the time. And now crazy hard road to do it. But what the heck it starts tomorrow. We can do this. Beat UGA!

It will be interesting to see what we've come up with to try and contain Frazier. I think Phillips probably plays a lot because he's one of our better perimeter defenders.

The last Georgia game was strange. TN only had 5 turnovers, 3 by GW and zero by Bone, Turner, Phillips, and Bowden. Parker did not play.

Lew had 4 fouls in 8 minutes. Maybe his job was to get under Mates skin and to get him to foul out (which happened in 17 minutes of PT).

Hubbs took 13 shots and missed 10 of them.

Frazier was only 2/7 making 3-pointers. I thought it was much better than that. Maybe he hit a lot of 2s just inside of the 3-point line. If not, put Shembari on him and back off a few feet.

Georgia vs. Tennessee Box Score, February 11, 2017 | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com

Bowden played over 30 minutes, but couldn't play a week later because of illness. I wonder if he was already sick during GA. Admiral's mother said that the flu bug was affecting the team for a couple of weeks.

Last edited:
Will be there today cheering for the team to start a good SEC tourney run.

They need consistent shooting, better guard play and need to keep Ogbeide off the boards and contain Fraizer.

That's not to much to ask, is it?

GBO

Will be there today cheering for the team to start a good SEC tourney run.

They need consistent shooting, better guard play and need to keep Ogbeide off the boards and contain Fraizer.

That's not to much to ask, is it?

GBO
We have no answer for Frazier in 3 games now.
Barnes said we need to get the cook to spike his food.

Man Frazier is a bad bad man...gotta hold him to less than 20 to win.

What year is he? Please say senior.

Man Frazier is a bad bad man...gotta hold him to less than 20 to win.

What year is he? Please say senior.

He is. It seems like he's been there since Mark Fox's first year.

Over the last 5 games he's averaging 30 ppg and averaging 19 for the season. He'll get that. Have to keep everyone else in check and not let someone who averages 4 explode for 20.

Maaaan... now is one of those times I wish that we still had Josh Richardson to contain JJ.

VN Store

Back