The National Anthem at the TBA

I still don't understand why we have to stay still and play the anthem before the game. I hated this when I played. And I am a military brat.

Reactions: 2 people
I still don't understand why we have to stay still and play the anthem before the game. I hated this when I played. And I am a military brat.

I'm not against the tradition at all, but it does seem pretty out of place when you think of it that way.

I don't know why anyone would find it strange that kids would imitate others they see. Flip on the TV.

I will illustrate with words: a former President - who will remain unnamed but served as a role model to many - didn't always put his hand over his heart for the national anthem.

Turn to the NBA, I think most players don't cover their heart. Some probably out of a lack of respect, and others out of ignorance to the law and proper decorum. It is in the United States Code that people place their hand over their heart

Damn, it's a law now?

Reactions: 4 people
Same 4 stand together, this time at the far end. The Sophomores and RS freshman. KA watches the singer. AS looks up, down, and around. LT and SP look at their Nikes the whole time. LT, KA, and AS clap for the singer... SP doesn't. No big deal. They aren't making spectacles of themselves. It's just odd that they signed together and stand together for the NA with a different "ritual" than everybody else. Nothing to see here apparently. They've all represented TN just fine.

Reactions: 1 person
Same 4 stand together, this time at the far end. The Sophomores and RS freshman. KA watches the singer. AS looks up, down, and around. LT and SP look at their Nikes the whole time. LT, KA, and AS clap for the singer... SP doesn't. No big deal. They aren't making spectacles of themselves. It's just odd that they signed together and stand together for the NA with a different "ritual" than everybody else. Nothing to see here apparently. They've all represented TN just fine.

All true.. i was there too. The Missouri players were in various forms of stances. Hands by sides, hands behind backs, hands over hearts. If they say they are protesting, then ok let's get to the bottom of it, but If they said they were praying the whole time, the Bible Belt would bless their heart right to sainthood. Let it go.

All true.. i was there too. The Missouri players were in various forms of stances. Hands by sides, hands behind backs, hands over hearts. If they say they are protesting, then ok let's get to the bottom of it, but If they said they were praying the whole time, the Bible Belt would bless their heart right to sainthood. Let it go.

The lack of randomness is what makes it so unusual. 20 in line do exactly like Barnes. 4 others don't. Those four always stand together and they are in the same signing class.

If it wasn't rude I'd have taken a pic, OP is fos...was at tonight's game and not one player stared at his feet throughout the anthem. Some had hand on hearts some behind their backs folded, it was sporadic, not like they sectioned themselves off...all looked at the flag.

If it wasn't rude I'd have taken a pic, OP is fos...was at tonight's game and not one player stared at his feet throughout the anthem. Some had hand on hearts some behind their backs folded, it was sporadic, not like they sectioned themselves off...all looked at the flag.

Nope. You're full of ****.

Last edited:
More southern patriotism paranoia. The OP says it is nothing but insists on going on about it.

There's been 4. Now there's 5. Shocking that I'd add that information.

I said it's not disrespectful. That's what's nothing. The fact that the 4/5 stand together is something and before KP joined in the fact that the first four all signed at the same time was weird.

Last edited:
I specifically looked and paid attention to it...there 100% was not 4-5 guys standing together staring at their feet, if you believe that then you need glasses.

I never said that there were. I said that there had been 4 out of about 25 that weren't putting their hand over their heart and they all stand together. Turner and Phillips absolutely keep their heads down. Alexander watches. Schofield looks around, but watches most of the time. And it's not at all random. The 4, and now 5, stand together. EVERYBODY else in line other than those have there hands over their hearts. You are wrong.

I never said that there were. I said that there had been 4 out of about 25 that weren't putting their hand over their heart and they all stand together. Turner and Phillips absolutely keep their heads down. Alexander watches. Schofield looks around, but watches most of the time. And it's not at all random. The 4, and now 5, stand together. EVERYBODY else in line other than those have there hands over their hearts. You are wrong.

Dude, 5 guys stood together with their hands clasped behind their backs. Turner has his head down the entire time. Phillips too. Every other player and guy wearing a suit faces the color guard with their hand over their heart. I'm not saying it's wrong... I'm only saying it's odd that they stand together. IIRC, tonight it was left to right Turner, Parker, Alexander, Phillips, Schofield. SP and AS might have been reversed.

I would hope nobody would take this personally. These are young adult basketball players.

I've spoken to people in their 60's that said they were always taught to stand during the National Anthem(health permitting obviously) but you only put your hand over your heart during the Pledge of Allegiance.

I'd never heard about facing the color guard or facing the flag until reading this thread.

Bumping and stirring.

I wonder how the team line for the NA plays out this year. 2 of the 5 that stood together and took a different stance are no longer on the team.

I'm pretty sure if anybody takes a knee, CRB will tell them "buh-bye".

Schofield, Alexander, and Turner chose to deviate from every other team member's display of respect last year. Those are the upperclassmen, team leaders this year. I'll be paying attention in 3 days.

Remember, I didn't say that any of these guys were disrespectful. I just found it odd that there was a group that stood together and had a different public display during the NA than the other 20-25 teammates and coaches.

Flame away. I'm kind of bored right now.

Thanks and my post wasn't meant to be disrespectful to anyone or any tradition. What I mean is our society often forms norms and attempts to shame anyone that doesn't follow along. That is no disrespect to those tradition but when you look at them, they are in fact meaningless gestures. What I mean by that is nothing is accomplished in doing it. We see it as a sign of respect, and disrespect when others don't do it. But in reality, we have no idea what is in that persons mind, but we pass judgement on them by not following our norms. I'm not a fan or President Obama in any way shape or form, but hammering the guy for a picture with him during the national anthem is what makes his opponents appear to have no meaning because we takes shots at everything. Instead we need to focus on the things that matter. I am opposed to nearly every political aspect of President Obama, but to question the work that he put in for this country is a bit silly given the stress and demand that comes with the job he did. Again, I think he was a bad President, due to his policy not because he didn't put his hand over his heart during the anthem.
I think Colin Kapernick is a fool, not because he took a knee during the national anthem, but because he wore socks with pigs wearing police hats and continued to spread divisiveness and hatred based on false stories.
Good discussion though.

I may differ with you on many of your posts, but I agree with you on this. Thanks.

Schofield, Alexander, and Turner chose to deviate from every other team member's display of respect last year.

Remember, I didn't say that any of these guys were disrespectful.

Thun...dude... This is classic D4H behavior to say it without actually saying it and then claim you never said it. Look, I get it bro.. It's been a long off-season and football has done us no favors to tie us over before bball season...tip off is hours away. Hang in there.

Reactions: 3 people
Thun...dude... This is classic D4H behavior to say it without actually saying it and then claim you never said it. Look, I get it bro.. It's been a long off-season and football has done us no favors to tie us over before bball season...tip off is hours away. Hang in there.

And now you did it....

Bumping and stirring.

I wonder how the team line for the NA plays out this year. 2 of the 5 that stood together and took a different stance are no longer on the team.

I'm pretty sure if anybody takes a knee, CRB will tell them "buh-bye".

Schofield, Alexander, and Turner chose to deviate from every other team member's display of respect last year. Those are the upperclassmen, team leaders this year. I'll be paying attention in 3 days.

Remember, I didn't say that any of these guys were disrespectful. I just found it odd that there was a group that stood together and had a different public display during the NA than the other 20-25 teammates and coaches.

Flame away. I'm kind of bored right now.

I hope the whole squad takes a knee. If you haven't noticed most bball coaches are very liberal and support the protests. Just look at Pop and Kerr. Two of the best out there. I doubt Barnes would be mad.

I hope the whole squad takes a knee. If you haven't noticed most bball coaches are very liberal and support the protests. Just look at Pop and Kerr. Two of the best out there. I doubt Barnes would be mad.

Barnes is a guy that avoids controversy like the plague. He wouldn't allow it.

It won't happen under Barnes; but he probably won't obsessively monitor the way they stand either.

As I've said, I don't consider that KA, SP, KP, AS, or LT were disrespectful last year. But they did stand out and it bothered me a little that they chose to not conform to how the rest of the players, coaches, and managers were addressing the NA. If they were scattered throughout the line, then I wouldn't have probably noticed. But 4 and then 5 guys stood together and took a different stance from every other person there. It looked weird to me and I hope that there was zero divisiveness within the team. Hopefully what was happening was that they told (asked) Barnes that they wanted to make a statement during the NA, CRB told them that taking knees or sticking fists in the air, or leaving the court weren't allowed, but that they can stand together with their hands behind their backs instead of putting a hand over their heart (as EVERY other person in those lines dide).

I just don't want to see something stupid like the majority of the Texans taking a knee because their team owner, in a non-public meeting, told his staff that they can't "have the inmates running the prison".

We have good young men and I think that Barnes continues to coach them well. If they're protesting anything I'd like to hear what and I hope they thoroughly understand the issue. I agree with the NFL players concerns, but not their methods... it's disturbing to far too many people for other reasons. Gold Star families had their loved ones come home lying under that flag.

VN Store

Back