The National Anthem at the TBA

As a Operation Desert Storm veteran I am sick and tired of the BS in this country with those that refuse to acknowledge those that protect our freedom to do the things we enjoy with our lifestyles. Many have lost their lives protecting this country and these youngsters obvious disrespect is ridicuous. Hell, they dont even know what they are protesting.

This BS is highly influenced by colleges with their mostly left wing anti-american liberal professors. Its time to hold these institutions accountable. In addition our previous Presdent Obama had no respect for the military and many other things in my opinion.

It is not freedom of speech to burn the flag and not give respect to our country.

As a veteran, you should understand freedom of speech or expression better than most. Defend that freedom is not just the defense of that which we agree with but all free speech.
You take it as a personal disrespect of the military because that is your closest association. Most of the protest as this (our guys have not proven to be a protest) are more directed at Police Officers than military and that is widely known.
People that do things like this the right way are to be commended even if we disagree.

Reactions: 3 people
You might not agree or like the president, but to say any president is un-American is dumb. That job is tens of thousands times more stressful than any of us know. You have to love your country to put yourself under that much stress, judgment, and responsibilities. Not a shot at you it's a shot at Op

Its a lazy argument for those that are opposed to him, but don't have the ability or time to criticize his policies.

Reactions: 2 people
As a veteran, you should understand freedom of speech or expression better than most. Defend that freedom is not just the defense of that which we agree with but all free speech.
You take it as a personal disrespect of the military because that is your closest association. Most of the protest as this (our guys have not proven to be a protest) are more directed at Police Officers than military and that is widely known.
People that do things like this the right way are to be commended even if we disagree.

Exactly. That was a strange rant.

Also, I find this idea of some "forced", expected patriotism has way more in common with places like China and North Korea than a free country.

I disagree. This is the attitude that is taking our country down. No respect for anthing anymore unless its a special interest. Our techers and professors teaching its ok to disrepect authority. (police, etc). We are on a downward spiral.

I disagree. This is the attitude that is taking our country down. No respect for anthing anymore unless its a special interest. Our techers and professors teaching its ok to disrepect authority. (police, etc). We are on a downward spiral.

So your solution is what? Only allow opinions that are ok to you? Only allow behaviors you agree with?

Good lord move this to the politics forum already.

We'll yes and no. If it's going to be a debate of how to act and what's the appropriate show of respect during the natty, then yes. But if it's about the original question of what are these four basketball players doing, if anything, then it's a basketball forum topic.

So your solution is what? Only allow opinions that are ok to you? Only allow behaviors you agree with?

So you are ok with protestors in the street tearing up property and assaulting individuals, killing police officers because they dont agree with the police or our elected officials. This is where the disrespect starts and carries to the kneeling or not respecting the pledge or the flag.

Why would anyone want to disrepect the flag or the pledge?

Reactions: 1 person
You might not agree or like the president, but to say any president is un-American is dumb. That job is tens of thousands times more stressful than any of us know. You have to love your country to put yourself under that much stress, judgment, and responsibilities. Not a shot at you it's a shot at Op

I'm going to respectfully disagree with the bolded above, and not to say President Obama doesn't love America.

However, you can love power, wealth, stature, and influence as much or more than you love your country, and to your own detriment. Pride and power are dangerous things when not held in check, and plenty of people in this world would crawl to hell and back to wield the type of power that comes with being POTUS. That isn't aimed at any one individual, past or present, but just a general statement.

As a Operation Desert Storm veteran I am sick and tired of the BS in this country with those that refuse to acknowledge those that protect our freedom to do the things we enjoy with our lifestyles. Many have lost their lives protecting this country and these youngsters obvious disrespect is ridicuous. Hell, they dont even know what they are protesting.

This BS is highly influenced by colleges with their mostly left wing anti-american liberal professors. Its time to hold these institutions accountable. In addition our previous Presdent Obama had no respect for the military and many other things in my opinion.

It is not freedom of speech to burn the flag and not give respect to our country.

I'm pretty sure the courts have ruled that those are forms of free speech. You obviously didn't learn what you were fighting to protect.

Moral of the story: win basketball games and be decent young men.

And this coming from a 21 Marine Corps veteran and police officer.

The putting your hand over your heart is no big deal to me, never done it before in my life. As a society we come up with these meaningless gestures and want to shame people that dont follow suit. I have never put my hand over my heart and i would put the sacrifices ive made for this country against anyones.

As for the rest of the stuff, if they are not acting like idiots and using it to make a statement, have at it. Thats what we are here for. I support those kids because im a vols fan not because i agree or disagree with some political issue. If they are trying to make a statement, i would say that statement is stupid. I would have done anything to have the opportunity to do what they are getting to do. But what can you expect when the folks they look up to are making fools of themselves every chance they get. If they are doing some sort of protest, commend them on doing it the right way. Now go win basketball games!

And by the way players, tough game last night but you all have done a great job this season.

It appears as if you didn't learn much as a "21 Marine Corps veteran".

As a "retired" Marine, you should understand proper customs and courtesies but apparently you need educating.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

June 22, 1942 Congress passed a joint resolution which was amended on December 22, 1942 to become Public Law 829; Chapter 806, 77th Congress, 2nd session. Exact rules for use and display of the flag (36 U.S.C. 173-178) as well as associated sections (36 U.S.C. 171) Conduct during Playing of the National Anthem, (36 U.S.C. 172) the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, and Manner of Delivery were included.

171. Conduct during playing
During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

But being that you have "sacrificed" so much, this must be below you. Honestly people who actually "sacrifice" need not brag about it to try to make some political point.

Last edited:

Too bad that aren't teaching better spelling and grammar in conservative areas.

So you are ok with protestors in the street tearing up property and assaulting individuals, killing police officers because they dont agree with the police or our elected officials. This is where the disrespect starts and carries to the kneeling or not respecting the pledge or the flag.

You are an idiot if you think people not kissing police officers butts or saluting the flag leads to people killing cops. Stop listening those crazy conspiracy theorists.

Reactions: 4 people

You're coming across as someone who is way more emotional than logical.

I also asked you a direct quesiton and from that you're accusing me of condoning things I never even came close to condoning. So you basically seem like someone who just wants to rant about how mad you.

Yeah, I know. Just pointing out how silly it is. There is plenty to get on Obama about without making stuff up.

It wasn't made up. It's a clear picture of him with his hands at his sides in a moment were the leader if the country should be more respectful.
I'm a veteran as well and can assure you I've made my sacrifices to this country and so have others in my family. I always put my hand over my heart during the anthem. Not because I have to but because I want to and I feel it's important to do it.

I am a White, Male, Christian, Conservative, born in Middle Tennessee, 21 years in the Marine Corps, 2 combat tours and work as a police Officer. I have never placed my hand over my heart. Am I am non American?

What exactly is a "combat" tour? The fact that you are feeling the need to boast about service, while trying to equate that to some how making you more able to speak on the meanings and necessity of proper respect to the flag is laughable.

You are an idiot if you think people not kissing police officers butts or saluting the flag leads to people killing cops. Stop listening those crazy conspiracy theorists.

Are you really making fun of someone's grammar and spelling? If so I think you are doing it wring.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

I guess it is the education I received at UT.

Simple minds just dont get it. If all high schoolers were required two years in the military the thought process would change.

Way cant we differiciant between a peaceful protest or opposition to something and roiting and tearing up things? The large majority of people in the US are not out roiting and killing police officers. I get that a constant news cycle and instant access to information makes it seem that way, but its not.

It appears as if you didn't learn much as a "21 Marine Corps veteran".

As a "retired" Marine, you should understand proper customs and courtesies but apparently you need educating.

USFlag.org: A website dedicated to the Flag of the United States of America - United States Code

June 22, 1942 Congress passed a joint resolution which was amended on December 22, 1942 to become Public Law 829; Chapter 806, 77th Congress, 2nd session. Exact rules for use and display of the flag (36 U.S.C. 173-178) as well as associated sections (36 U.S.C. 171) Conduct during Playing of the National Anthem, (36 U.S.C. 172) the Pledge of Allegiance to the Flag, and Manner of Delivery were included.

171. Conduct during playing
During rendition of the national anthem when the flag is displayed, all present except those in uniform should stand at attention facing the flag with the right hand over the heart. Men not in uniform should remove their headdress with their right hand and hold it at the left shoulder, the hand being over the heart. Persons in uniform should render the military salute at the first note of the anthem and retain this position until the last note. When the flag is not displayed, those present should face toward the music and act in the same manner they would if the flag were displayed there.

But being that you have "sacrificed" so much, this must be below you. Honestly people who actually "sacrifice" need not brag about it to try to make some political point.

Lol funny. Notice your cited reference says to stand at attention. Surely as a retired Marine you know that the POA does not include placing your hand over your heart. You will also notice that i said i stand with my hands to my side, which to us military folks is known as the position of attention.

And im not bragging about my sacrifice but trying to add a legitimacy to my point.

But again we return full circle to the point ive made many times, we would rather insult the person speaking instead of understand them. An example would be me saying you are bragging about your machinegun and eod career by your avatar, instead i asked you about it a while back.

It wasn't made up. It's a clear picture of him with his hands at his sides in a moment were the leader if the country should be more respectful.
I'm a veteran as well and can assure you I've made my sacrifices to this country and so have others in my family. I always put my hand over my heart during the anthem. Not because I have to but because I want to and I feel it's important to do it.
And what is the solution for others that have made sacrifices and such as you have, but feel there is no importance of placing your hand over their heart? Does that make them less of an American?

Simple minds just dont get it. If all high schoolers were required two years in the military the thought process would change.

Says the guy who equated me asking what his solution is to being ok with violent protestors and cop killers.

What exactly is a "combat" tour? The fact that you are feeling the need to boast about service, while trying to equate that to some how making you more able to speak on the meanings and necessity of proper respect to the flag is laughable.

Take it however you wish brother. My point is to prove that we should judge someone so a simple gesture of not placing their hand over their heart if they dont feel the need to do so.

Moral of the story: win basketball games and be decent young men.

And this coming from a 21 Marine Corps veteran and police officer.

The putting your hand over your heart is no big deal to me, never done it before in my life. As a society we come up with these meaningless gestures and want to shame people that dont follow suit. I have never put my hand over my heart and i would put the sacrifices ive made for this country against anyones.

As for the rest of the stuff, if they are not acting like idiots and using it to make a statement, have at it. Thats what we are here for. I support those kids because im a vols fan not because i agree or disagree with some political issue. If they are trying to make a statement, i would say that statement is stupid. I would have done anything to have the opportunity to do what they are getting to do. But what can you expect when the folks they look up to are making fools of themselves every chance they get. If they are doing some sort of protest, commend them on doing it the right way. Now go win basketball games!

And by the way players, tough game last night but you all have done a great job this season.

I thought I remember being trained growing up that you were to face the flag, but hand over heart was optional. Anyone in uniform was supposed to salute. Not sure, but just my memory of what I remember being taught was proper respect.

I'm thankful for and try to be respectful of my country. But, I agree with your sentiments above.

And what is the solution for others that have made sacrifices and such as you have, but feel there is no importance of placing your hand over their heart? Does that make them less of an American?

My point was actually regarding a leader of the country (or at least elected to be a leader) who did many things beyond that picture to show his lack of appreciation for this country and out veterans.
For any other veteran, the obvious answer is they have to do exactly what I do when the anthem comes on or they are not American.
That's a joke by the way.
I don't really notice what other people do but I do appreciate when I see someone salute or put their hand over their heart because you don't see a lot of patriotism these days and I'd say we need more of it.
Not putting anyone down who doesn't and, as a veteran, I appreciate anyone who served

VN Store

Back