Only 3 things upset me today

Was it Florida students that waived pictures of Dane Bradshaw's sister at him? I thought that that was pretty funny. Seems like DB thought so too.

Reactions: 3 people
And I'd bet you'd have felt differently if he had 5 points on 2-15 shooting, he looked visibly shaken by the crowd, and we beat UGA by 20 points.

I'm just saying that it only appears dumb now because he lit us up like he always does. In a game where we blow a double-digit 2nd half lead, it just seems like a silly thing to complain about. There's plenty else to legitimately complain about, but to each their own. I'm just happy the crowd was into the game and heckled someone instead of staying home or coming and sitting on their hands.

I was saying it 5 mins into the game how dumb it sounded.

Why did Kwe Phillips not play today and try to guard Frazier? Frazier singlehandely kept Georgia in the game today.

Parker can't shoot, can't pass , and struggles to bring the ball up.

He's athletic, but that's it for right now

Reactions: 1 person
I graduated in 76. Stood in line for Student Tickets. Watched The Ernie & Bernie Show for 2 years. We had True Students who appreciated the game then. Of course, it was a more competitive team than what we have now, but we always showed up at Stokley and it was loud. We let the other team know they were in for a battle. I think we paid $2.00 back then (not sure). Maybe we're not in the top 25, but show your support. Recruits see what the fan base is, and the students define it. No fan base, no good recruits. Makes it harder for Rick Barnes too

I graduated in 78 - same Ernie & Bernie show - we camped out for our student tickets and we were loud!!! Duke and UNC had nothing on us! Student fan support is huge basketball!

Reactions: 3 people
OP...only three things...hey, we're getting better...:pepper::yahoo::)

GO VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I graduated in 76. Stood in line for Student Tickets. Watched The Ernie & Bernie Show for 2 years. We had True Students who appreciated the game then. Of course, it was a more competitive team than what we have now, but we always showed up at Stokley and it was loud. We let the other team know they were in for a battle. I think we paid $2.00 back then (not sure). Maybe we're not in the top 25, but show your support. Recruits see what the fan base is, and the students define it. No fan base, no good recruits. Makes it harder for Rick Barnes too

I wonder how many students on the hill today are like those 60-70 folks. This bunch is much more self centered and into "social media" BS. They don't relate to much like that "older" bunch did. I have noticed basketball at the high school level seems to be no where near as popular as it was, say from 1950-70. More kids in school, but no more fans. Most support looks to come from major population centers. Not overall urban and rural support. Around my part of the country you use to see a basketball goal in most yards, not so anymore. I think most of the kids that are going to basketball games (at least in some SEC schools) are going for the social scene, not the game. (like they go to malls). Like some have said, winning like UT did with E & B, Coach Ray M., Coach Bruce P. will bring back some fun and support.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
100% agree but what could they do? I assume seating is offered for free. That would be enough for me.

Students pay fees, then must purchase tickets for football. Not sure about basketball. If they have to pay extra for basketball then that could be the reason for poor attendance.

Students pay fees, then must purchase tickets for football. Not sure about basketball. If they have to pay extra for basketball then that could be the reason for poor attendance.

Basketball is free just show student ID at the door

We just have too many students focused on academics. Back in my day on The Hill, we had our priorities straight. I never let my studies get in the way of a game.

Reactions: 4 people
We just have too many students focused on academics. Back in my day on The Hill, we had our priorities straight. I never let my studies get in the way of a game.

People will scoff at that but there's a lot of truth to it.

Buncha nerds over there now.

The cameras didn't keep panning to it this game but the previous home game they did. What was the intent for this?

I only caught the last 4 minutes of the Ole Miss game because I had to work -- but this scenario sounds like a makeshift coffee shop - whats next poetry readings

IMG_5729.jpg

A friend of mine was given tickets behind the student section. He sent me this pic sometime after the 2nd half started. LOL. I know he said in the past (when Pearl was coach) when he has sat there, he said the first few rows would complain about the students standing at the back and they couldn't see. Maybe that's the reason for the couches now so the paying fans don't have to stand all game. Who knows.

What an opinion. Students in college too focused on academics? Give me a break. Students are any more busy now than they ever were. They'd just rather do something else than to attend a losing basketball game.

We have failed to put a consistently good product on the floor. Students want to win. They don't care much for the sport and the interwebbing details. Once we start winning, the "other fans" will pack the stadium.

what an opinion. Students in college too focused on academics? Give me a break. Students are any more busy now than they ever were. They'd just rather do something else than to attend a losing basketball game.

We have failed to put a consistently good product on the floor. Students want to win. They don't care much for the sport and the interwebbing details. Once we start winning, the "other fans" will pack the stadium.

this

final 2 Saturday games at TBA are at 1pm -- doubt any students show up that early - they might as well give the free tickets to youth basketball league teams at least they would go

You're right. I'd guess UT has averaged for the season 1,000 students a game out of allotted 5,000 seats they get. I'd say some games there weren't even 200. Also, have you seen the thousands of seats still available thru UT ticket office?

Wasn't our effort, or gameplan offensively, especially not turnovers considering we had I think 5 total. It was..

1. The decision to start guarding Frazier 35 feet away. Why? He wAs simply going to blow by anyone out that far. I think packing it inside the arc, even maybe a zone may have slowed him down from straight line layups and driving a dishing.

2. Why were our fans (mostly students) chanting "Frazier" over and over all game? Way to go, you ticked him off.

3. Last but absolutely not least, and in my opinion a total joke and embarrassment, furniture/couches and tables in the student section. Why have we even put chairs back there anyway? That section behind the goal used to be fun, creative, and loud. Now there's damn tables and couches and even up until the final minute people sitting on their phones socializing. This needs to be addressed to someone at UT and done away with.

Rant over. Go Vols.

It honestly looked like there was 25 ppl in the student section at most, they barley took up the 1st couple of rows.

It honestly looked like there was 25 ppl in the student section at most, they barley took up the 1st couple of rows.

Are you talking about the baseline section? Because the section to the left side (looking from the court) of the tunnel with the T entrance is also a student section. That section will fill up faster than the standing only baseline when there aren't as many wins.

You're right. I'd guess UT has averaged for the season 1,000 students a game out of allotted 5,000 seats they get. I'd say some games there weren't even 200. Also, have you seen the thousands of seats still available thru UT ticket office?

While this team is certainly entertaining to watch ( sometimes not a good thing, especially losing double digit leads every game), students won't come unless you win. Too many other things to do. Grant Williams is definitely worth the price of admission though.

VN Store

Back