I still believe TN will go to NCAAT

If Vols win SEC tourney ...which there is no way in hell they will...then they get in by automatic bid. Heck..Austin Peay's 18-18 team made the tourney by winning the OVC last year.

Disappointing loss but par for the course for all the Vol sports this year. So erratic. Up and down. You get excited after a big win and think big thoughts...then...the inevitable let down. Football, womens bball and mens bball all the same thing. After every big win...there's a bad loss lurking around the corner.

With the 4 seed and double bye, TN had a shot at winning the SECT. Now they're in danger of being in the last 4 and having to play Wednesday. No way they can pull off 5 consecutive Ws.

This is a young team. They're gonna figure out how to play 40 minutes. Let's hope they do that before the SEC tournament.

You can't blow leads like we have and expect to go dancing this team will be walking to the NIT second round defeat Tennessee is a NIT program in basketball like we are a 8 win program in football just how it is these days nothing changing any time soon, most on here can't stand the truth but we are not elite anymore in any men's sport we are a mid pack program in most sports its just who we are.:thud:

This late in the year, I'm not going to use that has an excuse. Grant is young, and he's stepping up. Bowden, Bone , Turner - these guys need to step up.

This.

We're almost to the end of the regular season, so IMO the young excuse isn't going to cover 2 big lead collapses in 7 days.

Reactions: 1 person
This.

We're almost to the end of the regular season, so IMO the young excuse isn't going to cover 2 big lead collapses in 7 days.

Oh for crying out loud. They're still freshman and they're going to continue to make mistakes. I don't care if it's the beggining of the season or the end of the season, our team is one of the youngest in the country. To get where they're at right now under Barnes, is outstanding. We're still lacking another playmaker to make this team complete. It will all come together sooner or later. Just going to have to make the best of it cause no one was expecting this team to come this far.

The loss yesterday had nothing to do with being young. Georgia is better than their record. 3 straight losses to the top 3 sec teams. Could have been 16-8 yeaterday had they played any other 3 teams before us. So the loss isnt about being young. Its about Frasier taking over a game in the second half. The dude is a freak at point guard. He will be playing next level somewhere. Our issues yesterday were missed freethrows when we needed them and shots going half way down and out multiple times.

The "they're not freshmen anymore" narrative doesn't really apply with this TN team. That works more for a freshman or two that have been brought along gradually on a team loaded with veterans. In TN's situation this year, the freshmen are getting half of the minutes. They've been rode hard for months in games AND practices. Sure, they're now more experienced. But they're also winding down their longest season of highly competitive ball versus players much mature and physically imposing than they've ever faced in their lives. Plus they have the pressure of keeping up in the classroom as well. It's a lot different than high school and AAU ball. They could probably benefit from some time off at this point, but instead the intensity ramps up over the last month+ at this level. I hope that they can step up and close out strong... but they're freshmen.

Reactions: 1 person
The "they're not freshmen anymore" narrative doesn't really apply with this TN team. That works more for a freshman or two that have been brought along gradually on a team loaded with veterans. In TN's situation this year, the freshmen are getting half of the minutes. They've been rode hard for months in games AND practices. Sure, they're now more experienced. But they're also winding down their longest season of highly competitive ball versus players much mature and physically imposing than they've ever faced in their lives. Plus they have the pressure of keeping up in the classroom as well. It's a lot different than high school and AAU ball. They could probably benefit from some time off at this point, but instead the intensity ramps up over the last month+ at this level. I hope that they can step up and close out strong... but they're freshmen.
i wonder if Barnes eases off on the intensity of practices this time of year.
Supposedly his practices are harder than games.
Heard one analyst that said some coaches ease off because players are feeling the fatigue this late.

i wonder if Barnes eases off on the intensity of practices this time of year.
Supposedly his practices are harder than games.
Heard one analyst that said some coaches ease off because players are feeling the fatigue this late.

He has to ease up on the physical intensity. What he has to do to finish strong is to get them mentally and emotionally on the right track. He's preaching the "we have to put the last game behind us" sermon pretty hard right now. They need a win really badly right now to keep them motivated to close out strong. Need two more wins to avoid a losing season and one or two more to get the NIT invite. The end of the 2015-16 regular season went into the tank the second game after Punter's season ended.

Oh for crying out loud. They're still freshman and they're going to continue to make mistakes. I don't care if it's the beggining of the season or the end of the season, our team is one of the youngest in the country. To get where they're at right now under Barnes, is outstanding. We're still lacking another playmaker to make this team complete. It will all come together sooner or later. Just going to have to make the best of it cause no one was expecting this team to come this far.

Show me where I said they won't make mistakes.

On top of that, that's not even the discussion. There is a big difference between a young team making mistakes and a young team blowing a big double digit lead twice in the span of 2 games, in 2 games they really could have used a W in.

I really don't think we will. We've blown huge leads against very winnable teams 2 Saturdays in a row, and to me that tells that while yeah we technically still have a chance, I should expect uneven play the rest of the way.
Last two Saturdays? Its been like that all year.. Thats what you'd expect from a team playing two upperclassmen..

Show me where I said they won't make mistakes.

On top of that, that's not even the discussion. There is a big difference between a young team making mistakes and a young team blowing a big double digit lead twice in the span of 2 games, in 2 games they really could have used a W in.

Leads can disappear very quickly with the 3-point line being where it is. Auburn blew a 20 point halftime lead last night.

Last two Saturdays? Its been like that all year.. Thats what you'd expect from a team playing two upperclassmen..

I expected it earlier in the year, but at this point in the season against teams like Miss St. and Georgia I would have hoped we would have figured out how to not let it happen again, especially with what's at stake.

There's a big difference IMO of blowing a lead against teams like UNC and Oregon in November and December, and doing it in February against teams we're more closely matched up with.

VN Store

Back